Hit and Run SOB's- Mtbr.com
    MTBR member
    Jan 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well Hit and Run SOB's

I used to be a Hard Core Roadie, but quit road riding when I was hit at about 50mph. I was rear-ended, and I went through the guy's windshield, and then thrown about 40 to 50ft. I ride strictly MTB now. The reason I bring this up, is the increasing amount of hit and runs in Utah. It makes me sick.

There have been three hit and runs in recent months. The tatoo artist hit by the van. The student run aver by a drunk driver. And the Idaho man hit at the camp ground. If/when these guys are caught, they get a slap on the wrist (i.e Josie vs. Solitude owner's wife).

http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0...197163,00.html

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    oops! Here's the other one.

Bicyclist in Critical Condition After Deliberate Hit-and-Run
    June 20th, 2007 @ 9:56pm
    Tonya Papanikolas Reporting

Salt Lake City police are looking for the driver of a delivery van who they say deliberately ran over a bicyclist Sunday. That cyclist is in critical condition tonight.

Nicki Kasteler says her husband is conscious, but he has really severe injuries, including a spleen that had to be removed. He will be going into his fifth surgery tomorrow. Nicki says it's especially hard knowing the driver who did this to her husband got away.

"I think we're both really scared right now," she said. Nicki has been at her husband Marty's side since he was run over by a van early Sunday morning. "He has a broken pelvis; half of it has been separated from his body."

The van is believed to look similar to this Nicki and Marty were riding their bikes home from a friend's house when they encountered a white delivery van around 2 a.m. Nicki says she and Marty were going down 600 East when the van came up Warnock Avenue and tried to do a U-turn. When it couldn't make it, it backed up, blocking the road.

"He didn't see us and he kept reversing," Nicki said.

So Marty took his bike around the van.

"My husband went around to the front and tapped on the windshield to say we're here," she says.

Apparently, that made the driver mad. As Marty rode past the van into a church parking lot, the driver turned around and followed.

Nicki said, "He drove up over the lawn and the curb to run him over. He didn't slow down, he just kept driving."

Nicki who'd stayed behind the van, ran to her husband and grabbed her phone to call 911. She tearfully told us, "I thought he was dead. I don't know how anyone could do that."

Salt Lake City police agree. They call this is the worst road rage incident they've ever seen. Det. Jeff Bedard said, "We treat this just like somebody was attacking somebody else with a gun or a knife. This was a deadly weapon. He was trying to kill this victim."

Police say the van will have front-end damage on it and the passenger side mirror was broken. Nicki says she believes it had some kind of logos on the side.

Police say when they find the driver, they intend to charge him with attempted homicide.

Talentless Hack

It is scary..

out there. I think the city and county are attempting to make SLC more bike friendly, increased shoulder up Emmigration etc, but for the most part Utah is still a motor head state. I commute to work at the U and it sucks if you are coming from the south. As for Josie's killer, if your rich, white and drive an SUV you have the right to kill cyclist.
    IB1

Bored Carp
    They are collecting donations for Marty at the Landis Salon on 9th and 13th S (across from his tattoo place). Stop in and drop a few bucks - from what I have heard from his friends, they need it.

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    More bad news...

I couldn't get one of those links to work so maybe you've covered it, but a year or so ago there was a guy headed west on North temple that was killed by a hit and run. A cab driver saw what happened and got the info on the guy.

About a month ago there was hit and run on the Jordan River Parkway, of all places. Guy was commuting home from work.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,695196677,00.html

This one hits close to home for me, because I commute almost daily by bicycle, and use the Parkway for a significant portion of that. Luckily, my commute is fairly short, and the roads I do use have low speeds and moderate traffic. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm with you though, I don't see road biking in my future. I'll stick to the mountains.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    I was a messenger in S.F., S.J. and S.C. I did a winter in SLC as a messenger (I'd like to give a shout out to the boys and girls at Salt City, and Legal.....Represent! Stay safe and warm!) and I'm sorry but Utah drivers are some of the worst. I hope they catch that SOB van driver. The tattoo artist is a friend of a friend.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad_martinez
    (I'd like to give a shout out to the boys and girls at Salt City, and Legal.....Represent! Stay safe and warm!)
    HAI2U!!!

Just boys. The last girl candidate I tried to get in wasn't manly enough so Adam hired some asshat who can barely ride (or think)...and now subsequently drives a car.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Pedal Bike
    Nov 2005

No better in Park City...

Every road ride I do there is some jagoff in a big dumbass truck that tries
    to screw with me...their favorite is to step on the gas right as they pass you
    and cover you in diesel smoke. Then there are the idiots with big dumbass
    trucks pulling trailers that try and get as close as they can to you...
    I road in Chicago for 10 years and didn't have 1/10th the problems.
    It seems to be getting worse every year. Funny thing is there are
    "Share the Road" signs everywhere...
    "Never write when you can talk. Never talk when you can nod. And never put anything in an e-mail." - Eliot Spitzer, former NY state attorney general

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    I always wanted to get jerseys made that proudly displayed. "This cyclist proudly sponsored by the Law Firm of Dewey, Chetum, Andhow." Just to give dumb drivers something to think about. Oh and the owner of Papa Johns pizza chain was harrased or maybe hit (minor kine, like slapped on the back while driving by) while on a ride with his lawyer a few years back. I hear it didn't go so well for the driver, ha!

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    The boyos messing out in SLC I gotta give you props. The traffic density itsn't as such yet that you get top dollar for your day and the drivers are horrible to boot, not to mention cold %ss winters. Even some of the law firms don't or at least didn't understand our capabilities. I remember I got called to pick a double extra secret red label priority tag at the end of the day for a law firm. The choad handing it off to me was all worried like, "You can get this there in 15min, right? The office closes then. There's a lot of lights between there and here." He can't figure out why I'm starring at him like he's a space alien or sumthin. I told him "What lights?" Boom tag was there in 5min.! Sheesh cut a messenger a little slack maybe!?

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Riders caravan for injured bicyclist
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 08/05/2007 12:21:10 AM MDT

SHANE MOWER, right front, and Brandon Frenette, left, were among 160 who turned out for a 3-mile benefit ride for a bicyclist severely injured by a delivery van in June. The ride raised some $10,000 for Marty Kasteler, who shattered his pelvis, cracked his skull, and shredded the muscles in his right leg in the June 17 accident. Kasteler and his wife, Nicki, were on their bicycles around 2 a.m. when the collision occurred near 600 East and 2500 South. Officers are searching for a white, cab-over delivery van with a flat front-end that possibly sustained damage, including a broken passenger-side mirror. A cash reward has been offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the driver. Call 801-799-INFO (4636).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad_martinez
    The boyos messing out in SLC I gotta give you props. The traffic density itsn't as such yet that you get top dollar for your day and the drivers are horrible to boot, not to mention cold %ss winters. Even some of the law firms don't or at least didn't understand our capabilities. I remember I got called to pick a double extra secret red label priority tag at the end of the day for a law firm. The choad handing it off to me was all worried like, "You can get this there in 15min, right? The office closes then. There's a lot of lights between there and here." He can't figure out why I'm starring at him like he's a space alien or sumthin. I told him "What lights?" Boom tag was there in 5min.! Sheesh cut a messenger a little slack maybe!?
    You know Eric, right?

I should post a pic of what happened to his bike when some moron turned left in front of him on 1st South and State. He's fine. Somehow.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    Which Eric? Eric at Legal or Eric former wrench at Contender?

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    Thats really cool that the benifit ride as that successful. Any pictures to be had on the web of it?

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Wookie...you weren't hit up @ Mirror Lake were you? Did you bring your bike to White Pine? If so I saw your bike ( I work there ) and my jaw dropped.

On what Pedal Bike said about the geektards in Park City I certainly agree...although not a roadie when I do have to ride to the trailhead it pisses me off to no end how stupid people drive up here. Not just when I'm on my bike but when I'm in my truck...and I grew up driving in Boston! However, I've also seen a lot of roadies that are inconsiderate as well and it gives those of us that ride on the road like we should a bad name.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    No, I was hit in Weber canyon. I was riding a gorgeous Bottechia w/ campy Chorus. The lugs were chrome, and it was hand painted. The rear triangle folded over about 45 degrees, and the seat stay dragged the ground and wore right through. The crank and rear brake bent. In fact, nearly every part on the bike was useless. The entire front end f the guys truck was totaled-no joke. It was like the guy hit a deer. It's a freak of nature that I survived; I wasn't even wearing a helmet. This was back in 92. I still have the frame. I'll have to post some pics.

Members who have read this thread: 0