Hippies protesting against mountain bikes- Mtbr.com
    Talentless Hack

Hippies protesting against mountain bikes

Several friends of mine put on a Fat Tire Festival in Lima, Montana. The purpose was to bring attention to the wilderness folks closing off legal trails to mountain bikers. These trails are used in the Continental Divide race and are outstanding rides. I've ridden them several times and it is not unusual to go 20 miles with out encountering a soul. These trails are also about 100 miles from anywhere on the Montana/Idaho border, and user conflicts are not a problem. The wilderness folks decided that they need to teach the dirty mountain bikers a lesson and protested this ride. Think about this, people where protesting a mountain bike ride 100 miles from anywhere. If this can happen in Montana it will happen in Utah. Photo from JParker. Please help out our brother mountain bikers and read this post, send a letter if you can.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=424007

These are outstanding rides, please help protect them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Idiot Boy 1; 08-04-2008 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Lame. What is it with people thinking bikes are any more out of place in the wild than a pair of boots?

mtbr member
    I like how they are off the trail, trampling the wildlife while protesting. Classic!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thats what too much backcountry spandex will do for us.....

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I'm sure they've got no problem letting their dog dump all over the trail though. Not to mention I'm sure the wild animals are much more firghtened by bikers than a dog chasing them around. Dumb ass hippies.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    And I bet they still allow horses on that trail that impact the environment more than riding a motorcycle!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    not to mention sheep and cattle grazing......amazingly destructive. yes in wilderness areas!

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    not to mention sheep and cattle grazing......amazingly destructive. yes in wilderness areas!
    Probably lamas, too. And reefer plantations. Stupid hippies.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

NOT Team Sanchez
    AHHHH, hippies and four wheelers our arch nemisi (plural for nemisis).
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

an x-post for your entertainment and education

from the Mont, Wyo, and ID forum.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=427099
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Weak..Damn Hippies

Thats hella weak, motorcycles, atvs, and horses tear up trails more then mountain bikes do. Damn hippies need to find a better cause protest against. Whats next? protesting against people wearing bootson trails and that everyone should just hike bare footed?

JPE
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    I like how they are off the trail, trampling the wildlife while protesting. Classic!

Def a no no . Hikers and backpackers are supposed to practice a leave no trace style of being in the wilderness, and yes being off the trail and in vegatation is more harmful to the natural setting than a tire rolling down an already established trail. Hypocritical if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Ironically the first mountain bikers were a bunch of what???? Hippies from Marin county!!!....man these people are stupid....especially the dude layin down...nothing say angry like a siesta.....

mtbr member
    Is that cardboard recycled material??....instead of boots not bikes it should be my tire up your a$$

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flow_azn
    Thats hella weak, motorcycles, atvs, and horses tear up trails more then mountain bikes do. Damn hippies need to find a better cause protest against. Whats next? protesting against people wearing bootson trails and that everyone should just hike bare footed?
    I agree. I'd say mountain bikes cause about the least damage to trails. I have a question: where in the US of A is "hella" used as an adjective? I'm in Colorado and I only hear (read) the word "hella" online. Just curious.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Talentless Hack
    I have a question: where in the US of A is "hella" used as an adjective?

That's a NorCalism
    Sierra Club Sucks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    good to meet you in Lionhead last week, Idiotboy. Maybe someday I could be strong enough to keep up?

by the way everyone, we tried to have a poetry reading of Jill's twisted offerings. It was a grueling effort, and we had to just bag it and open more beers. Her poems don't flow as well as cheap beer does.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

Talentless Hack

Awesome trip..

Quote Originally Posted by GregB406
    good to meet you in Lionhead last week, Idiotboy. Maybe someday I could be strong enough to keep up?

by the way everyone, we tried to have a poetry reading of Jill's twisted offerings. It was a grueling effort, and we had to just bag it and open more beers. Her poems don't flow as well as cheap beer does.
    Yeah, I didn't understand a word or thought of what she was attempting to convey. Totally ridiculous.

The Snowcrest range was really nice, the trails are under used but they're so far from anything. We didn't see another trail user over three days. Amazing. I hope to get in a couple more rides in that area next year.

One of the amazing things about Montana is that I've ridden with so many people and made so many friends. Bikes really bring people together, especially in a low population state, I'm sure we'll cross paths soon.

IB1

James
    Sierra Club Sucks

Members who have read this thread: 0