Hiking Trails within an hour of Salt Lake City- Mtbr.com

May 2009

Hiking Trails within an hour of Salt Lake City

I am planning to take a 3 day trip to SLC in about a month. I am headed out there by myself to just unwind. I plan to see a few things in the city (I was an architecture student), the salt flats, salt lake, lake utah, and do a little hiking.

I have found many good tips for good trails to hike- but are there any that are somewhat popular? I will be going it alone and I would like to hope someone would come along if I broke an ankle or something. I'm not planning to do any long or hard loops- just a few different 3-4 mile loops or something of the sort. Something I can do in 3 hours or so. I am all for not seeing a single person while I am out, but I am somewhat concerned about safety. I am in good shape- I've just never been out west before, aside from Vegas and a few of the short 1-2 mile hikes outside of the city. Do I have an reason to worry about hiking alone on these easier trails? I ride my mtn bike alone all the time, but around here we don't have mountains or any wildlife aside from deer.

Apr 2007
    There are a TON of trails right within Salt Lake City. In a month's time, all the trails should have a good amount of traffic. Head over to Little or Big Cottonwood Canyons. I liked doing Doughnut Falls, Secrit Lake, and few others that I can't remember. If you just head up the canyon, you will see the trails marked right on there. Also, Millcreek Canyon is very close, too. Lots of trails up there (I believe Pipeline is the most popular).

There are too many to choose from. Just pick one and go. Most of the trails are family friendly, which means fairly easy to do, so don't worry about broken ankles and being stranded for days on out.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Go to Summitpost.org for some great hikes.

May 2009
    Thanks for the tips. I was on LocalHikes.com checking out some of the trails mentioned there. Although I am sure there are trails everwhere- a lot of the ones that caught my attention were in Ogden, which from GoogleEarth- looks to be 25-30 miles north of where I am staying in Ft. Union. The ones that caught my eye were - Ogden Valley Overlook, Mill B North Fork, Donut Falls, Brighton Lakes Trail, and Adams Canyon.

I get into town on a Friday morning about 9:30am. Friday I plan to drive out to Salt Lake and the salt flats. I also read an article that mentioned a ghost town somewhere on the way to the flats- probably stop off there and have a look at that. Friday late afternoon/early evening when I get back I plan to check out SLC- have a look at the library, the temple, and anything else I decide is photo-worthy (photography is in my #3 hobby, behind riding and kayaking). Saturday I plan to go somewhere to hike- hopefully multiple trails to see a variety of things. Maybe catch a sunset with my camera equipment that evening. Sunday I plan to catch a few photo's of a sunrise somewhere. Sunrise and sunset I hope to find a spot with mountains and/or water in the background. The rest of the day I plan to see what I can find around Utah Lake as well as another ghost town a that was mentioned in another article I read- somewhere just south of the lake. My flight leaves at 4:55pm back to St. Louis. I am guessing if I am packed and heading to the airport by 2:00 or so, I should be good.

Apr 2007
    If you're going to be staying on Ft. Union Blvd, you will be very close to the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons (just head east on Ft. Union and you'll literally go straight up Big Cottonwood Canyon). Millcreek is close, too. I'd probably just stay in SLC instead of trying to head up to Ogden. It's about an hour's drive one way. It's pretty up there, but it's not nothing over the hikes in SLC, IMO. If you want to take a drive, I'd highly suggest American Fork Canyon.

Oh, there is a cool little 30 minute hike right behind the capital (downtown). Ensign Peak is what it's called. Very easy hike, but cool view (if it's clear) and you'd get some good pics of the city.

Last edited by p nut; 06-26-2009 at 11:57 AM.

May 2009
    I don't know where I got the idea that Ogden was where I was going to hike. After looking some more- more than half of the trails to my "too-see" list are in SLC.

I know it's mostly ran by the Mormons- but are there any descent microbrews or pubs in/around SLC?

Any landmarks or other things I should see in the city? I would like to see the library as well as the Mormon Temple (can't remember the name of it off hand).

May 2009
    I will certainly take the drive you suggested. I wish I could have my Mercedes out there with me- I've love to do some canyon runs in that. But, looks like I will be carving the canyon in the Chevy Aveo rental instead

About how long will it take to get to the salt flats, assuming I don't stop off anywhere- I'm guessing about 2 hours? Seems like it's right around 100 miles.

mtbr member

Brew pubs? You bet!

Red Rock is downtown and awesome. 250 S 200 W. Try the Nutbrown if they have it. Hoppers is on Ft. Union Blvd. and 900 E. Try McGee's red. Squatters is literally a stones throw from Red Rock. All their brew is good.
    The Salt Flats are only about an hour east on I-80. Be sure and stop at the big phallyus with the broken testicles on the side of the highway. (you'll see what I mean when you get there). They love their phallyic synbols here. Just see above pic and you'll get my drift!

May 2009
    Good hiking- check. Good scenery- check. Good places to kayak- check. Micro-brew- check. It sounds as though there's a good chance I will never head back home

May 2009
    I just looked up the three pubs you suggested. Looks like I will certainly be at Hoppers- most likely the first night I am there. That appears to be just a couple blocks- most likely a walking distance from my hotel (Candlewood Suites). The other two pubs might have to be my reward on Saturday night for a long day of hiking during the day on Saturday.

May 2009
    I came, I saw, and I conquered. Hoppers, Squatters, and Red Rock were all great. I really liked the bar tender at Hoppers (Shauna) as well as Squatters (Allison). Allison asked me to head out with her after work. I accepted the offer....then a few minutes later decided that wasn't the right thing to do since I am engaged- so I made up a B.S. excuse and rolled out. I felt bad- but what else are you gonna do?

Link to all of my pictures if anyone cares to have a look.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...3e6b7b839ae4c1

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
    I came, I saw, and I conquered. Hoppers, Squatters, and Red Rock were all great. I really liked the bar tender at Hoppers (Shauna) as well as Squatters (Allison). Allison asked me to head out with her after work. I accepted the offer....then a few minutes later decided that wasn't the right thing to do since I am engaged- so I made up a B.S. excuse and rolled out. I felt bad- but what else are you gonna do?

Link to all of my pictures if anyone cares to have a look.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...3e6b7b839ae4c1
    What? No pics of your haut waitress that you almost broke your engagement for?

May 2009
    I decide that too, would not be a good idea.

May 2009
    keep riding the trails- you might meet Allison. she's a rider also. she said she has a car, but rides her bike everywhere. a raleigh if i remember right.

Members who have read this thread: 0