HELP. riding in park city/ogden area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

HELP. riding in park city/ogden area

hey guys i don't hardly ever post here but im moving out to ogden utah in 10 days and am wondering about the riding there, where to ride who with and what i can expect as far as terrain and tire choices anything that will give me some head start would be much appreciated thanks
    as for riding i ride a nomad and mostly do AM and DH styles i dont mind peadaling up at all or riding lifts either as thats always nice i just prefer a good tech single-track trail down, but im also down for XC riding and some DJ stuff to is okay, and anyone who wants to ride i would be glad to go. thanks alot

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't know much about riding in the Ogden area, but this site is a great resource: http://utahmountainbiking.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The closet thing to ride in ogden is the Boniville Shoreline Trail (BST). There is some great riding there, mostly xc and not very technical.... but your can't complain for a great trail system that you can get to in 5 min.
    My fav place to ride near Ogden, is the trail system below Snowbasin. Green pond, Wheeler Creek (upper and lower) (also called maples to the locals), Ice box (connects maples to art nord (lower wheeler) and is semi technical. Lookout trail (above maples) is a great descent (but you have to climb up it to come down it). Eastfork and middle fork also smooth fairly flowy riding.
    Southern and norther skyline are both great trails, but they come with a lot of climbing, which in return means a lot of downhill.
    There isn't much downhill up here in the northern utah. Wolf mountain does do lift served, but it has become rather mellow (and only a couple of trails). Snowbasin also does lift served, but being on forest service land nothing is greater than 4% grade... still great riding though, nothing super techie though.
    There are several shops in the area, I believe they all do weekly rides.
    I would be happy to show you around, I'll ride with just about anyone, I am always looking to go ride.
    The best thing about ogden is you are close to a lot of good riding, if you get bored here you are only a hour from park city, 4 hrs to moab, 5-6 hrs from southern utah, you can't complain.

mtbr member
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks alot for the help guys as far as climbing goes i really dont mind it at all, i somewhat prefer it acually cause thats what we have to do around here anyways and it keeps the trails in way better shape anyways i'll just have to adjust to the altitude

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Welcome to O-town. The riding here sucks. Please be sure to let people know.

There's a freeride park that's in the works. Stay tuned to WAFTA and the Bikers Edge for details. Word is that it's gonna the real deal with full backing from the city and landowner just north of the mouth of Ogden Canyon. Fingers crossed they'll break ground this fall.

May The Force Be With You
    Deer Vally FTW!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Snowbasin rocks...where ya gonna find 18 bucks a day, hours of fast gondola rides, billions of acres, music on the lawn with beer and bar b cue...and the service attitude at the resort is excellent, no waiting for tourists in slaps on lifts...plus the shuttle service...its a value, lucky guy moving to O Town...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ya i think im gonna try out snow basin and deer valley there is alot of great riding around here

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just got back from UT - rode Fruita (in CO), Vernal & Park City. Loved Park City the most - great town w/ a great trail system. Rode from The Canyons (took the gondi up) via Mid-Mountain Trail &to Park City for beer & nacho's - short road ride back to the car - 3+ hour tour. I'd say a must do trail. I had a similar bike w/ 2.25 maxxis tires..

Miss it already...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just did pretty much the same ride yesterday in PC but opposite. Rode up the Spiro trail next to PC resort, Mid mountain trail to The Canyons and down Holly trail. Really cool ride. Probably will do your direction today.

mtbr member
    When is Snowbasin open till ? I usually climb up when i ride mid mountain but i was thinking about spending a day bombing everything over there from the lift for the 15 bucks. be cool to try something like that at snowbasin too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Snowbasin should stay open til at least Oct. 1

guess it depends on weather, but Oct 1 or 4 is the last I heard...I'll be there on Sunday with the www.meetup.com group, find out more. Can't beat it for plush gondola riding up and no hikers, plus that van shuttle thing must be done and reported on...stay tuned...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    When is Snowbasin open till ? I usually climb up when i ride mid mountain but i was thinking about spending a day bombing everything over there from the lift for the 15 bucks. be cool to try something like that at snowbasin too.
    Xterra is on 9/26 and that might be the last day of the lifts. Two years ago we got Snow in the middle part of September that stayed around for a week in a half. They opened the gondola again on the last weekend of September and there was still snow on parts of the trail.

If you don't mind climbing, you can ride snowbasin until the snow flies which usually doen't happen until late Oct.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Snowbasin will stay open til Oct. 4, talked to the main man, Lee yesterday. They are having a great season. Yes, early snow does mess things up but biking is just one aspect of Snowbasin's overall weekend plans for visitors.

Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb
    I don't know much about riding in the Ogden area, but this site is a great resource: http://utahmountainbiking.com/
    That is a helpful site. A lot of good information there.

Members who have read this thread: 0