mtbr member

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider

Hello, I will be going to St George for a conference Sept 17-19. My husband (and dog!) are coming and weíll have our SUV. Weíre arriving early, driving up from LA on Fri Sept 14. The conference is at Red Mountain Resorts and thatís where weíre staying. After my conference weíre driving up to Moab on Wed Sept 19 and then back home to LA on Sun Sept 23. Id like some advice picking trails.

About me: 52 year old woman, intermediate mountain biker, riding mtb 2 years. I race on the road and have good fitness, I commonly ride 20 mile singletrack rides on two consecutive days, putting in 50ish mtb miles over a 3 day weekend.

I have a Scott Contessa Spark, full suspension, 29er, no dropper post. Prefer cross country riding and Iím not great at technical riding. I donít like steep, either up or down.

Ive ridden lots of places- Sedona, Big Bear CA, Mammoth Lakes CA, Tahoe, Park City- besides home so I have a bit of a clue about terrain variety. For a reference point, this summer we traveled to Utah and I rode Thunder Mtn solo and also Wasatch Crest (climbing from Park City Mtn up Armstrong and Pinecone and descending into the Canyons via Midmountain and Helens) solo.

St George

Fri Travel day
    Sat ĒbigĒ ride, ~4 hours, 20ish mi. Maybe Jem and nearby trails?
    Sun ďbigĒ ride, ~3.5 hours, 20ish mi. Maybe Bearclaw Poppy & environs?
    Mon easy day, ~1hr. Iím thinking of riding up Snow Canyon bike path, if thatís worth doing
    Tues short ride ~1.5 hr, 10ish miles. Thinking of riding in Chuckwalla area and then maybe City Creek. Close to hotel and I can get out before my conference if itís safe to ride there solo early.

Wed: no ride, transition to Moab.

Moab, staying at Hyatt Place
    Thurs instructional ride with an instructor I know
    Fri and Sat long rides, 3ish hours each. Havenít started researching yet. Thinking Dead Horse Pt St Park plus something else. Still reading.

Thoughts/suggestions? Would love some advice as to specific loops to ride in each area.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You'd probably enjoy Navajo Rocks at Moab. Here's a video of a map of the area with route recommendations. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Preston, the guy who made the video, shows up on this thread with more suggestions.

https://youtu.be/BgU4EYirUMA

There are other youtube videos of the area if you want to see the terrain.

Your Best Friend
    It would be tragic to visit our area and not get in a Mesa ride.

It would add some travel time but don't let that discourage you. While you're out doing JEM/Hurricane Rim trails, drive another 30 minutes and do Wire Mesa. It's about 7.3 miles and just less than 500 feet of climbing. The views however are spectacular and you'll get a good taste of what Mesa riding is like.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    'intermediate' is very subjective and varies from area to area. However, the trails at Dead Horse are extremely easy - super scenic, but short and flat and easy.

I'd ask your instructor friend once you get to Moab, at the end of the day - you'll have a bit of experience and he/she can identify trails that will fit your skill level and be fun. Navajo Rocks is a great suggestion, although there is some climbing and a few steep bits involved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    You'd probably enjoy Navajo Rocks at Moab. Here's a video of a map of the area with route recommendations. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Preston, the guy who made the video, shows up on this thread with more suggestions.

https://youtu.be/BgU4EYirUMA

There are other youtube videos of the area if you want to see the terrain.
    Thanks, I watched the video and read about the trail, looks about right, around 19 miles. The logistical issue will be the 20 min drive time from the hotel to the trail head. Husband will either need to drive the 40 min RT twice to drop off/pick up or Iíll have to leave him without a vehicle. Thereís probably no way around that, so we may just need to deal with it. Annoying for him although I know heíll be happy to do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    It would be tragic to visit our area and not get in a Mesa ride.

It would add some travel time but don't let that discourage you. While you're out doing JEM/Hurricane Rim trails, drive another 30 minutes and do Wire Mesa. It's about 7.3 miles and just less than 500 feet of climbing. The views however are spectacular and you'll get a good taste of what Mesa riding is like.

Hmm, I wasnít planning on Hurricane Rim because looking at both Trailforks and MTB Project, thatís listed as a black trail so I assumed it would be over my head.

I donít mind walking hard sections, so if Hurricane Rim is doable with just a few black places in the trail, and itís worth riding, Iím game to give it a try. Basically when I ride solo though I try to take zero risk so walking huge swaths of the trail would just be tedious. Whatís the scoop on Hurricane Rim, difficulty wise?

If I do Hurricane Rim and Jem, whatís the best route? Gould to ?? to Jem to Hurricane Rim? The other direction? Skip Gould? With Gould and Hurricane Rim would be 19ish miles. Adding Wire Mesa might be a bit much but then again, more efficient driving wise than heading out to that area twice from Red Mtn Resort. Itís just tricky because we only have 1 car so being off riding much more than 4ish hours gets a little rude.

Your Best Friend
    If you've done the Wasatch Crest and Thunder Mountain, you'll be just fine on Hurricane Rim.

I'd recommend starting at the trailhead off of Highway 9 near Virgin. Go CCW. On HR. To Goulds. To JEM and back. It is actually about 21 miles. Its pretty meh in my opinion. I'd rather ride Wire Mesa 3x than do that, ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    'intermediate' is very subjective and varies from area to area. However, the trails at Dead Horse are extremely easy - super scenic, but short and flat and easy.

I'd ask your instructor friend once you get to Moab, at the end of the day - you'll have a bit of experience and he/she can identify trails that will fit your skill level and be fun. Navajo Rocks is a great suggestion, although there is some climbing and a few steep bits involved.
    Yes of course intermediate is subjective and varies from locale to locale. Which is why I included more info- where else Iíve ridden, what trails Iíve done. Itís precisely *because* intermediate is subjective that Iím asking questions here. If it were completely cut-and-dried, I would not need any local info to make good choices, Iíd just look at Trailforks and pick some blue trails and be done with it.

And yes of course I will ask the instructor Iím riding with for some ideas. But I donít want to spend half a day riding with her, then come back to the hotel and spend another hour or two figuring out logistics of where the trail head is, how long the ride will take, what time do I need to start etc, while my husband twiddles his thumbs after already waiting on me all morning. Iíd rather have my ducks in a row, some ideas of where I might ride and look into the details prior to the trip.

Hence my posting here so that I can do more than wing it while weíre trying to be on a vacation together.

mtbr member
    If you've done the Wasatch Crest and Thunder Mountain, you'll be just fine on Hurricane Rim.

I'd recommend starting at the trailhead off of Highway 9 near Virgin. Go CCW. On HR. To Goulds. To JEM and back. It is actually about 21 miles. Its pretty meh in my opinion. I'd rather ride Wire Mesa 3x than do that, ever.

I am in no way set on Jem, it just looked like the most reasonable trail for me to do in the Hurricane area. If I went out to Wire Mesa instead, would it make sense to also try to ride the easier parts of Gooseberry Mesa? Gander, Windmill, North Rim?

Your Best Friend
    It is the most reasonable trail. It's fun, don't get me wrong. Just not the best.

For the record, there aren't really easier parts of Gooseberry. Not for long anyway. There are zero easy parts of Gander.

Wire is an intermediate trail with sections designed to challenge you but without severe consequence of failure. The views are spectacular though.

mtbr member
    It is the most reasonable trail. It's fun, don't get me wrong. Just not the best.

For the record, there aren't really easier parts of Gooseberry. Not for long anyway. There are zero easy parts of Gander.

Wire is an intermediate trail with sections designed to challenge you but without severe consequence of failure. The views are spectacular though.

Ok thanks. Gander is a blue trail in Trailforks, which goes to show you canít completely rely on these ratings.

I could do two laps of Wire Mesa, I guess. Or just take my time on one lap. I did have some rides in Sedona last year that were not that long mileage wise but still took me a long time to complete.

Iíd just think to myself, ďhow in the heck was that only an 8 mile ride?!Ē. But Iím better now than I was then, and the 29 inch wheels (I was on a different bike then, 27.5 inch wheels) make a huge difference in my ability to get over rocks. So who knows how long some of this stuff will take me?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    While I don't think the Intrepid system at Dead Horse is "extremely easy", I still second the recommendation. To me (I'm 60) they are difficult enough to be interesting, and the setting is tough to beat. If your husband likes to hike, he can do that on separate hiking trails while you ride.

I'd suggest the Klondike trails in Moab, too.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaldedDogCO View Post
    While I don't think the Intrepid system at Dead Horse is "extremely easy", I still second the recommendation. To me (I'm 60) they are difficult enough to be interesting, and the setting is tough to beat. If your husband likes to hike, he can do that on separate hiking trails while you ride.

I'd suggest the Klondike trails in Moab, too.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I donít care if a trail is easy BTW if itís a huge bang for the buck. Iím not wild about fireroads because they donít advance skills much and my time on the mtb is limited by the road racing and associated training schedule. Pretty much any singletrack works at my stage of things- even easy trails are good for cornering and balance and to work on lifting my front wheel etc. Sometimes easy trails are even a little better for me- less fatigue means I can work skills a little more, and when Iím riding solo I can take a little more ďriskĒ on trying something because generally the elements are going to be easier.

I think itís also hard for men to appreciate sometimes because their experiences on a mtb are physiologically different. But even accounting for differences in body size, women produce significantly less power on the instantaneous burst side of things. For example, womenís 5sec power expressed as watts/kg is about 20% less than menís. Itís legit way harder for us to get over rocks, or up steps, or to attempt those things after a steep (say 15%) Incline. I think thereís a perception sometimes that women are unskilled or timid or unfit when realistically lots of things on a mtb are legit way harder for women. But I digress: Easy but beautiful trail is fine.

Iíll read up on the Klondike trails. I think I came across something about them previously but de-emphasized that area because of the distance from where weíre staying in Moab. But I think Iím just going to have to get past that because it seems like all the best trails are going to require a little drive to the trailhead.

mtbr member
    FWIW, Silentfoe lives essentially at the base of Gooseberry Mesa and knows the trail systems in Hurricane and St George as good, if not better than anybody. I actually like your plan for the most part though I agree that adding Hurricane Rim and Goulds isn't anything special. It's a great XC workout with a few challenges but definitely not exciting or anything special. That being said, I would absolutely do JEM and start over at Hwy 9 as suggested by Silentfoe. You can ride up JEM to (L) on Crytobionic to Goosebumps to Dead Ringer. Hit More Cowbell up top and then come back down JEM from the top. Aside from the JEM drop in up top, it's 100% easy blue stuff. Here's some drone footage of that ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiDfGyCIjjA It's *about* a 15-16 mile loop. On our trips, we do it on our last dat day and for the guys that don't like the techy stuff, it's their favorite ride out there. If you still have some gas in the tank, you can drive up to Wire Mesa and do a loop up there. Most people like Silentfoe prefer it CCW while I like it CW.

As far as Moab, once again I think you're on the right track. As much as I love more challenging terrain, Dead Horse is one of my favorite rides anywhere due to the pure joyful FUN factor.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    +1 on SilentFoe's opinion of Goulds-JEM-Hurricane Rim. I would say do Bearclaw Poppy-Stucki Springs combo instead for a non-mesa ride. Definitely get out onto one of the Mesas if you can (Wire and Guacamole are the easiest). I want to say you can do 14 or so miles on Guac if you do the outer loop as well as the funner, more interesting inner loop. The big draws for the area are Gooseberry and Little Creek, but they're definitely technical (more so for Goose, significantly less for LC), but so so good. If you're riding on a Saturday, check in with Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane. They run a shop ride and also often have a ladies ride... they hit LC quite often. From your description of your abilities, I think LC in a group setting would probably be fine.

+1 on Navajo Rocks. It's a great "intermediate" level Moab network. Other than a few sandy sections, it's high quality overall. (If you don't mind road riding you could get dropped off at the NR trailhead and ride back to town. The mileage isn't trivial, but on the bright side, it's pretty much all downhill. Better yet, have him drop you and then he can go check out deadhorse pt or canyonlands and pick you up on the way back.) If you want even more of a primer, hit the Brand trails area. Definitely the easiest riding in Moab and a decent way to get acclimated if you feel like you need it. The Klondike network is quite good now (has expanded quite a bit so there is something for everyone). Klonzo is also more intermediate-ish. For Moab, it's uncharacteristically pretty much all dirt (rather than rock) riding if you find that you're not enjoying the rock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    Thanks, I watched the video and read about the trail, looks about right, around 19 miles. The logistical issue will be the 20 min drive time from the hotel to the trail head. Husband will either need to drive the 40 min RT twice to drop off/pick up or Iíll have to leave him without a vehicle. Thereís probably no way around that, so we may just need to deal with it. Annoying for him although I know heíll be happy to do it.
    There is a bike path that would take you back into town from the turnoff to highway 313 and 313 itself has a very wide shoulder. I'm not much on road riding personally, but it would be mostly easy downhill cruise back into Moab after doing Navajo rocks if you didn't want to arrange a pickup.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes of course intermediate is subjective and varies from locale to locale. Which is why I included more info- where else Iíve ridden, what trails Iíve done. Itís precisely *because* intermediate is subjective that Iím asking questions here. If it were completely cut-and-dried, I would not need any local info to make good choices, Iíd just look at Trailforks and pick some blue trails and be done with it.

And yes of course I will ask the instructor Iím riding with for some ideas. But I donít want to spend half a day riding with her, then come back to the hotel and spend another hour or two figuring out logistics of where the trail head is, how long the ride will take, what time do I need to start etc, while my husband twiddles his thumbs after already waiting on me all morning. Iíd rather have my ducks in a row, some ideas of where I might ride and look into the details prior to the trip.

Hence my posting here so that I can do more than wing it while weíre trying to be on a vacation together.
    Wow. Well, OK then. Have a nice trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    Wow. Well, OK then. Have a nice trip.
    Will do, getting a lot of useful help from this thread. People have been very generous with their time and the thoughtful responses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    FWIW, Silentfoe lives essentially at the base of Gooseberry Mesa and knows the trail systems in Hurricane and St George as good, if not better than anybody. I actually like your plan for the most part though I agree that adding Hurricane Rim and Goulds isn't anything special. It's a great XC workout with a few challenges but definitely not exciting or anything special. That being said, I would absolutely do JEM and start over at Hwy 9 as suggested by Silentfoe. You can ride up JEM to (L) on Crytobionic to Goosebumps to Dead Ringer. Hit More Cowbell up top and then come back down JEM from the top. Aside from the JEM drop in up top, it's 100% easy blue stuff. Here's some drone footage of that ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiDfGyCIjjA It's *about* a 15-16 mile loop. On our trips, we do it on our last dat day and for the guys that don't like the techy stuff, it's their favorite ride out there. If you still have some gas in the tank, you can drive up to Wire Mesa and do a loop up there. Most people like Silentfoe prefer it CCW while I like it CW.

As far as Moab, once again I think you're on the right track. As much as I love more challenging terrain, Dead Horse is one of my favorite rides anywhere due to the pure joyful FUN factor.
    That drone footage looks pretty cool to me.

Questions:
    1. I follow everything you said as to route until you say to hit More Cowbell up top. It looks to me like More Cowbell is a U-shaped trail with east and west legs of the U. Is there a preferred side to ride?

2. When you say Jem is all easy blue except for the drop in up top, are you referring to that section of Jem that youíd get on right after More Cowbell? If so, would I be better off just turning R onto Jem from Goosebumps, skipping Dead Ringer and More Cowbell? That might keep it all a little more in my wheelhouse and also save more room for Wire Mesa.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    +1 for Wire Mesa. A wonderful intermediate trail. Awesome views looking into Zion. I've ridden it 2 or 3 times clockwise. I guess I should try CCW sometime?

Your Best Friend
    Contrary to what K2rider said, I do prefer Wire Cw. It really doesn't matter though. Do it once one way and then flip and go the other.

You really will enjoy it. It is quickly becoming one of our most popular trails.

mtbr member

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I would absolutely do JEM and start over at Hwy 9 as suggested by Silentfoe. You can ride up JEM to (L) on Crytobionic to Goosebumps to Dead Ringer. Hit More Cowbell up top and then come back down JEM from the top. Aside from the JEM drop in up top, it's 100% easy blue stuff. Here's some drone footage of that ride. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiDfGyCIjjA It's *about* a 15-16 mile loop.
    Good advice here. This is a fun loop. More Cowbell is a loop off of Dead Ringer. When youíre climbing DR turn off onto More Cowbell at the first turnoff Loop CW then finish climbing DR. Then descend JEM.

If you want to get a taste of Hurricane Rim and extend your ride a bit without the full commitment, turn right onto it at its east end as youíre climbing JEM and ride it about 1 1/2 miles to the first kiosk then turn left and climb Cryptobionic to Goosebumps to Dead Ringer.

I also recommend Wire Mesa. Interesting trail and some of the best views of Zion. Do it once in both directions if you want extend your ride or do an OAB on Undisclosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

e=mtb2
    Good suggestions by other so far. You seem pretty detail oriented so at the risk of being repetitive -

JEM trails: It's all good, but our favorites are Deadringer and Goosebumps for fun play and More Cowbell for views. Usual route is JEM along the river (best part), Dead ringer to the Cowbell loop, back down DR (the short drop off JEM is over too quickly), down Goosebumps, back up and down lower DR, retuning lower JEM. 22 miles, 1400 ft climbing, 2+ hr. Ride early (aim to finish by noon) to beat the heat.

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-cowbell2.jpg

Wire Mesa: Fun loop, both directions are good, east side is a bit more techy. If you come in from Rockville you can park at the bottom and "enjoy" the short but steep climb up Crybaby Hill (~600 ft).

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-wire2.jpg

Intrepid trails at DHSP: Very fun, super views, west side a bit more techy. Combining all 5 loops is ~15 miles, ~900' climbing, 2+ hr with stops for the views (you'll want to).

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-intrepid2.jpg

Others: Navajo Rocks and Horsethief trails are all good, with many options to explore and lots of bail out places. Big Mesa and Ramblin (recommend down) have nice views and fun slickrock.

The ride from the mesa down to Moab: some good views and can be done if necessary but not the best way to spend time on a mtb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    In Moab you could get a shuttle up to the top of Mag 7 and take Getaway - Bull Run-Arth's Corner or Great Escape - Little Canyon then out the road to the bike trail into town. Every shuttle service in town does this shuttle. From the Gemini Bridges road where they drop you could also do Chisholm-Big Lonely-Big Mesa-Ramblin and ride down 313 to bike trail into town.

As for Dead Horse Point, the riding is really fun. They also have some of the best hiking on the mesa and you can hike with you pup on the trails.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies, Iíve gotten a little behind looking into routes, had a road race this weekend. Iíll get back at the planning tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Thank you everybody for the planning tips.

Iíve settled on my agenda:

St George Area
    JEM and Wire Mesa
    Bearclaw Poppy and environs
    Snow Canyon bike path
    Trails rideable from Red Mtb Resort

Moab
    Klondike area with instructor
    Navajo Rocks and environs
    Dead Horse

We leave tomorrow. Not packed yet of course. Iíll post back as to how it goes.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Thank you everybody for the planning tips.

Iíve settled on my agenda:

St George Area
    JEM and Wire Mesa
    Bearclaw Poppy and environs
    Snow Canyon bike path
    Trails rideable from Red Mtb Resort

Moab
    Klondike area with instructor
    Navajo Rocks and environs
    Dead Horse

We leave tomorrow. Not packed yet of course. Iíll post back as to how it goes.
    You should get a sunset picture at Dead Horse - the colors are spectacular!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Plan looks good. I'm not aware of any MTB trails over by Red Mt Lodge. If you can't find anything decent over there I recommend checking out Prospector/Church Rocks. It's not spectacular, but it's legitimate MTB trail and just a short drive from Red Mt Lodge.

mtbr member
    Well we arrived St George later than expected Fri, we forgot to account for the time difference from LA, arrived 7pm instead of 6pm. My intention had been to pick up a paper trail map as a back up to my phone, since I couldnít do that Fri evening, I decided to ride Bear Claw Poppy today and hold on Hurricane-vicinity trails until tomorrow.

Came up with what turned out to be a lame-brained idea: had my husband drop me at Stucki Springs Rd, was planning to ride that to Stucki Springs Trail to Bear Claw. Then up Bloomington Microloop to Stucki Connector, then down Snake Pit to Bearclaw Poppy. From there I was going to ride back out to my start, up the road a bit and then onto Anasazi Trail as an out and back. Then a pick up from there.

Lol, no. Stucki Springs Rd as a solo ride felt too desolate to me (nothing happened but I saw zero other people out on a Sat am. But I had cell reception the whole way, so felt fairly ok. Bailed on my plan and descended Snake Pit from Stucki Springs. Then Bear Claw Poppy. Four times.

It wasnít epically beautiful (which is a big driver for me) but it was a pretty fun/interesting trail. I liked the endless options on Bear Claw. Each time down, you could ride a little different route.

Today was 23 miles/1300 ft. 2:45 pedaling time, 3:30 elapsed (lots of wayfinding). Two bottles of water, although I had a third bottle with me. Ate 200 cal. Overall it was a very chill ride, almost all HR zone 2. Got pretty hot towards the end but there was a bit of a headwind on the climbing parts of Bear Claw, so it wasnít too bad.

Finally picked up a trail map after I rode today. I didnít quite realize the driving distance between JEM and Wire Mesa. Iím worried about the heat if I ride Wire Mesa tomorrow after JEM. Right now Iím leaning towards Wire Mesa only, two laps, one in each direction. I was looking for a longer ride tomorrow but I can just make up for it by gorging in Moab I guess.

Have some nice pics if I can figure out how to post em.

Your Best Friend
    Have fun

mtbr member
    Have fun

It was awesome, definitely one of the best trails Iíve ever ridden, spot-on at my level. It was Sedona-esque without being a continual techy beatdown. Great trail to ride before heading to Moab. I learned a lot, or at least was more willing to ride the slickrock sections by the time I was done. Just followed the white dots.

I rode it clockwise first, then turned around and rode it CCW. Sorry to miss JEM but this was a great ride, and a good call with it being hot, by 11am it was pretty warm in Wire Mesa. Plus the light was way better early, lap 1 was mega-beautiful.

Your Best Friend
    It was awesome, definitely one of the best trails Iíve ever ridden, spot-on at my level. It was Sedona-esque without being a continual techy beatdown. Great trail to ride before heading to Moab. I learned a lot, or at least was more willing to ride the slickrock sections by the time I was done. Just followed the white dots.

I rode it clockwise first, then turned around and rode it CCW. Sorry to miss JEM but this was a great ride, and a good call with it being hot, by 11am it was pretty warm in Wire Mesa. Plus the light was way better early, lap 1 was mega-beautiful.
    Very cool

mtbr member
    Iíve had a great time riding here in the St George area, thanks for everyoneís help in planning.

Yesterday I was wanting an easy recovery type ride, and wound up riding into Snow Canyon. Very easy bike path and dirt road ride, a huge bang for the buck. Not really a mtb ride but Iím very glad I did it. 1:45, 15 miles/1000 ft. A little warm (I started around 5:30pm), but breezy and increasing shade from canyon walls as ride progressed. Some triple digit temps though.

I was feeling sad to miss JEM, so I got up early to ride it and missed a couple hours of my conference. I rode the route K2rider suggested, adding the bit of Hurricane Rim between JEM and Cryptobionic. Loved More Cowbell and the long JEM downhill back to the car. 19 miles/1300 ft climbing, all chill cross country type stuff and I thought it was way more scenic than you guys implied.

Iíll see if I can figure out how to post pics.

We leave for Moab tomorrow. No ride for me, last day of my conference.

mtbr member
    On Stucki Springs Road:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-tig3qad.jpg  

mtbr member
    Pics, in order:

1. From top of More Cowbell.
    2-5: Wire Mesa
    6 & 7: Snow Canyon
    8. Top of More Cowbell
    9. Phoenix aka SAG dog extraordinaire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-f5ed87ac-d657-4434-8bf8-dcfe24e7f5e6.jpg  

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-83f78f6d-c297-422b-bbd6-cedf06e888fb.jpg  

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-9574bd72-6501-443e-b097-09d8190ae6c3.jpg  

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-2f840f34-c668-461e-93d8-e57ec517573e.jpg  

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-5224d237-e9c8-4cb5-96dd-e7e926c7fede.jpg  

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-6f1deb66-6df5-462a-84ca-6d079407c7ef.jpg  

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-c96d666c-1646-460b-be89-6705f363a2fe.jpeg  

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-a04bd3bc-9fbf-4161-8527-f4ff509fafc7.jpg  

Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-a4b100e4-9cb8-414e-acbe-cab1a496b021.jpg  

mtbr member
    <wow I find the image-posting aspect of this forum to be very difficult to use>

mtbr member
    At the start of JEM:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Please St George and Moab, Intermediate Solo Rider-d1d7e8b3-79ea-4736-ad53-f5b4a7c0171b.jpg