Help plan Moab trip.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Help plan Moab trip.

I have been to Moab twice. Both times in a large group with coworkers from So Cal. I was a junior guy on the trip and followed along. We rode Slick Rock, Porcupine , Sovereign, Behind the Rocks (24 hours of Moab) Barletts Wash and Posion Spider/Portal.

I relocated to Pheonix and this year I am planning the trip and taking some new buddies who have that have never been before. We will have four days to ride. I plan to ride Slick Rock (for the new guys) Porcupine, Amasa Back's new single track and Posion Spider/Portal.

On my last trip we got lost and never found the Portal trail. This trip I'll have more info and GPS.

Questions: On my prior Porcupine rides we self shuttled by parking at the trail head off the road past Slick Rock. The one where the roofless out house is. Where you have to ride up 4 miles. This trip I would like to use a pay shuttle. Which is the best and can get us highest up the moutian?

Amasa new single track. Anymore difficult than Porcupine? And any hint to find Portal from Poison Spider? Any other trail suggestions?

I plan ride Slick rock and Porcupine on the weekend and Amasa and Posion Spider on Mon and Tues to avoid 4x4 traffic. We will be there on the 3rd week of Oct.

mtbr member
    Amasa Back's single track? Do you mean Jacksons?

When you get to the rim after riding Poison Spider, take a right. No GPS needed.

Shuttle - Coyote (I get paid nothing for saying this)

Flat Pass (Steel Bender in wheeling terms) is a nice one - Bar M has some great vistas, not really hard, but the "slickrock" portions are not like the slickrock trail, very bumpy, slow go P.I.T.A (pain in the ass) setions. Fisher Mesa... Heck, just ride them all.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

Members who have read this thread: 0