help me pick a moab trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. help me pick a moab trail

okay folks we have been riding fruita and moab for the last 4 days and have close to 80 miles on our legs. yesterday we did 30+ miles at the kokopelli trails in fruita and then today rode slickrock in moab. needless to say our sticks are a bit tired. we are looking for a great moab trail to do tomorrow. we want something challenging but not as challenging as slickrock. also, they are predicting sustained winds tomorrow of 30mph and gusts up to 75mph as well as a chance of rain. given that we are a bit tired and weather could be bad what sayeth the moab experts?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    pay for a shuttle and do porcupine. If you already done it then do it again.

Otherwise for something else (but it has pedalling and if you loop it the road in the wind just sucks) how about Flat Pass?

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    okay folks we have been riding fruita and moab for the last 4 days and have close to 80 miles on our legs. yesterday we did 30+ miles at the kokopelli trails in fruita and then today rode slickrock in moab. needless to say our sticks are a bit tired. we are looking for a great moab trail to do tomorrow. we want something challenging but not as challenging as slickrock. also, they are predicting sustained winds tomorrow of 30mph and gusts up to 75mph as well as a chance of rain. given that we are a bit tired and weather could be bad what sayeth the moab experts?
    You must have ridden every trail at Kokopelli to get 30mi!

Honestly, the best advice is to get up ready to ride early, see what the weather really looks like, and head for a local shop. Get their advice. Sounds like a copout, I know. It's tough to know how tired someone is going to be from what you described and what might be to hard. You'll get a much better recommendation face to face and having a realistic handle on the weather.

Or just go ride Amasa Back.

Good luck with your ride,

FW

mtbr member
    If your bonked, do Klondike...its pretty mild and you get great views at the end....northernmost trail outside of town...

mtbr member
    Klondike is a pretty mild trail with great views into Arches like said above. However, I'd hit up Amasa Back for sure. One of my favorites. It's a great trail that offers plenty of opportunities for taking a break with awesome views. Not really a trail you have to push yourself hard on the whole time, as long as you have time to kill. I rode Slickrock AM and then Amasa Back PM one day. Needless to say, I was beat after Slickrock but still did fine on Amasa just breaking when I needed. It's a good out and back too so if it becomes too much, just turn around and shred the downhill back to the car. That being said, not sure about the weather. Never been out there with bad weather.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    pay for a shuttle and do porcupine. If you already done it then do it again.
    Ditto.

By "challenging" and Slickrock, I assume you mean the vertical climbs. Porcupine is way more technical, but once you take the shuttle up, you don't have to worry about climbing too much after the hill out of the parking lot before Hazard County single track. After that, you will being going down and having the ride of your life.

If you want climbing AND technical, then do Amasaback.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Doing UPS/LPS tomorrow - rain in the forecast tho, any comments on how it is when wet?

mtbr member
    My riding partNer is pushing for flat pass for no apparent reason.. I'd rather do amasa back after reading about it, alas it will be saved for the next trip.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    My riding partNer is pushing for flat pass for no apparent reason.. I'd rather do amasa back after reading about it, alas it will be saved for the next trip.
    Flat pass has several stream (or river) crossings. Keep an eye on the rain totals in Moab to avoid getting washed away.

JMH

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Doing UPS/LPS tomorrow - rain in the forecast tho, any comments on how it is when wet?
    UPS/LPS wet is riding perfection. The sand becomes perfect tacky dirt. As you get close to Kokopelli the dirt becomes much less nice as it gets wet as the sand content drops.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Amassa Back > Flat Pass
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC
    Amassa Back > Flat Pass
    no doubt. my riding partner on this trip actually dismissed amasa because it "wasnt a loop" and dragged my butt to flat pass (its not really a loop either). since i have been choosing most of the trails i didnt put up a fight.... i wish i had put up a fight - i was not at all impressed with flat pass and the ride back was into the 30-60mph headwind for 7 miles. definitely the worst ride of this trip. should have realized the ride wasnt that great when there were no other cars in the parking area.

flat pass was a lot of slow climbing with a crappy payoff. now i know.

doing ups/lps tomorrow.

More Chasmism
    dismissed amasa because it "wasnt a loop"
    Tragic.

hfly

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Tragic.
    Truly.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Tragic.

hfly
    Absolutely, tragic. Amasaback is a must-do at Moab. And if you are dismissive of "out and back" as opposed to "loops", the beauty of Amasa is trying to clean it in both directions, up and down. Not to mention there are practically infinite lines you can take, from merely difficult to "huge brass required," to keep you from losing interest - as if.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt
    Absolutely, tragic. Amasaback is a must-do at Moab. And if you are dismissive of "out and back" as opposed to "loops", the beauty of Amasa is trying to clean it in both directions, up and down. Not to mention there are practically infinite lines you can take, from merely difficult to "huge brass required," to keep you from losing interest - as if.
    Not to mention the loops.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Members who have read this thread: 0