Help me with my route to work please? (Layton to Hill AFB)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help me with my route to work please? (Layton to Hill AFB)

I recently decided to start biking to work every day, after finding a nice route that contains very few hills, and is only 7 miles. However, I thought I would run the route by you all, and see if you have any suggestions for me. I've put my route on google maps so you can see it. I'm going from Layton, (on the south end of Main street by the freeway entrance) to Hill Air Force Base. Well, you can see the map for your self.

I have marked the only two bike paths I found with place holders.

Click here to see the route.

I would love any suggestions as to alternative routes to increase safety, decrease travel time, whatever. Especially if you know of any hidden bike paths or shortcuts that would shorten my route that I have missed. Any advice at all would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Nate from Layton
    Last edited by paqman; 09-05-2007 at 09:45 AM.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

May The Force Be With You
    i'ld take the nice long up hill on Hill Field RD that way on the way home you have a nice down hill.. but i live just out side the south west gate so...yup good luck... other then that it looks like a nice route
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8
    i'ld take the nice long up hill on Hill Field RD that way on the way home you have a nice down hill.. but i live just out side the south west gate so...yup good luck... other then that it looks like a nice route
    Thanks. I would take the south gate, but there are a couple issues. First, it's more out of the way, and would add a good 15 minutes or more to my commute. Second, it's not only uphill there, but once I get on base, I go back down a huge hill to my building. Which, in effect, would mean I would be going up hill both ways! I think once I've ridden this route for a while, and gotten a little more in shape, I may take Hill Field just for the extra exercise. But good suggestion, thanks!

FYI: I rode the route for the first time this morning, exactly as I have it on my map. It went pretty good, took me a little longer than I expected. 45 minutes. Still not bad, considering the lights I had to stop at and stuff. Those lights are the only thing that really bug me. But they're pretty unavoidable, so i'll just get used to them. Plus, leaving at 5:30am, means I'm gonna need a better headlight. :-)
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

Sep 2007

Fort Lane

I work on the west side and when I am commuting I take Fort Lane. You still have to deal with the hill but the traffic is minimal.

mtbr member
    Nice idea, but that's way out of my way. Thanks anyway! Now I've ridden my route two or three times, it's really not that bad. A couple of lights are annoying, but other than that, I rather like it.

Members who have read this thread: 0