Heading to Utah at the end of March; Need advice!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Heading to Utah at the end of March; Need advice!

Howdy fellow riders,

My girlfriend and I are coming down to Southern Utah to do some riding at the end of March. We've just recently gotten into XC and are loving it. Soooo, we were wondering if you locals can help us out with some intel and advice! We are thinking of concentrating on St George, Zion and in-between. Here are a few questions, I'm sure more will come up as our departure date gets closer.

- Can we expect a bunch of rain at the end of March? Looks like Utah gets an average of 1" in March. Can we expect less in the southern part of the state? If the trails are wet can we still ride them? Are there erosion issues?

- Will Moab be ridable at the end of March?

- We are dabbling with the idea of renting a small motorhome (probably "van" type). Will that limit our trailhead access? Are high clearance 4X4 really needed or can an experienced driver negotiate the terrain?

- Where do we find out about group rides, is the forum pretty reliable for this, is there another source we should be aware of?

Lastly, we'd love to meet up with peeps who know the area for a ride I'd say that we are riding at an intermediate / "light" advanced" level, smokeys and beers on us! (Sorry, we don't have room for Canadian beer in our luggage

I've already posted this on UMB.com but I figure there might be more people on here.

Thanks,

Alex

Frame Building Moderator
    There will probably not be a lot of precip in the St. George area in March (or any other month, really) so you're probably safe there. If there *is* rain/snow, trails will be nigh-unrideable as there is generally a lot of clay in the soil. Stay off if wet.

Moab will be pretty cold still but depending on your tolerance for low temps the lower elevation stuff will be rideable assuming no snow. The big (Burro, Enchilada, etc) rides that start up high will all be snowed in.

Bailing to Vegas is easy if there's a freak storm in SW Utah and there's some fun riding there that is guaranteed to be dry.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Liek anyplace, you never know what you're going to get. I've been to Hurricane in March and had perfect weather all week and we were there (2) months later in early May and got snowed out. Even with a 4WD, we couldn't get to Gooseberry at all. Assuming you have good weather, that RV van would be perfect to camp up on top of Gooseberry. The other good part of that area is if you do get some rain, the Church Rocks area is still usually rideable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would check with Over the Edge bike shop in Hurricane UT. They are really knowledgable and have a lot of good info that would be beneficial.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Last weekend in March is the OTE Mountain Bike Festival!! Sounds like fun! My buddy and I are flying in from Vermont!!
    Rocky Mountain 13 Instinct
    Rocky Mountain 13 Solo
    Pugsly 12
    Trek XO Cross 11

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vtchopper View Post
    Last weekend in March is the OTE Mountain Bike Festival!! Sounds like fun! My buddy and I are flying in from Vermont!!
    Wooh! Looks like we'll be there. I'll PM you our info

Desert Seeker
    The end of March can be an excellent time to ride in Moab. As the time gets closer, shoot me a PM if you want some details on trails/conditions or if you'd like to get together for a ride or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump Grind View Post
    Wooh! Looks like we'll be there. I'll PM you our info
    We'll be out there as well. Staying in Virgin right nexr to the JEM Trail...

The online sign-up link is up on the "Events" section of the Over the Edge website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    We'll be out there as well. Staying in Virgin right nexr to the JEM Trail...

The online sign-up link is up on the "Events" section of the Over the Edge website.
    Camping by the JEM trail? I was wondering if the bike fest was a day thing only or if people camped somewhere.

evilbanks
    go to Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs You'll find all the intel you could ever want about our trails out here. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Chances are weather will be great. For everything else call Over The Edge, Hurricane. Q will take good care of you. The festival should be a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Velvetnewbie View Post
    Chances are weather will be great. For everything else call Over The Edge, Hurricane. Q will take good care of you. The festival should be a lot of fun.
    Sweeeeet, we just bought our tickets to vegas and bought tix for the bike fest. We just can't wait. Looks like some folks will be camping by the JEM trail. Is that an official "event camping venue" or is the festival a day only thing? I'll call OTE but figured someone here might have been before...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump Grind View Post
    Sweeeeet, we just bought our tickets to vegas and bought tix for the bike fest. We just can't wait. Looks like some folks will be camping by the JEM trail. Is that an official "event camping venue" or is the festival a day only thing? I'll call OTE but figured someone here might have been before...
    The event is officially Friday, Saturday and Sunday but if you're there a day early, you can go pick up your event "packet" on Thursday. There are some events that go on thru-out the evening as well. I don't know anything about any "official" camping area and I can say I've never seen any mass camping on previous trips other than up on Gooseberry Mesa.

The event gets bigger every year and the guided rides we've down have been great. Even though I know the trails, it's always fun to ride with new folks and they are really good about splitting up the groups of faster vs slower riders so everybody has a good time and feels comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've put together a new video of trail riding with the Tallboy LTc. Its been a really dry winter in eastern Utah, so I never had to slow down! In the video some shots are of the LTc with a fox CTD 140mm and some shots with the Pike 150mm.
    Winter Riding On Tallboy LTc, Price Utah Trails - YouTube