Heading to Utah 4-4 through 4-14- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Heading to Utah 4-4 through 4-14

We are mostly hiking but taking bikes. I definitely want to ride the Deadhorse point trails and plan to attempt the Slickrock practice loop before tackling the whole trail.

I'm not in great shape but routinely do a 15 mile all dirt loop from my house with decent climbs. Technically i am pretty solid but will riding a hard tail so limited by that. Also, I HATE exposure cliffside stuff.

Any other trails in the Moab I should check out if time permits?

Thanks,

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Bar-M trails. They are on the way to Deadhorse Point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Thank you, exactly what I am looking for!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    I'm trying to remember the first trails I took the kids on in 2016. They were on the road up to Island in the Sky. Part of the Mag 7 system I think. It was the perfect introduction with flowing single track and minimal technical difficulty.

We then ventured out briefly onto the Slickrock Trail. Rode the Practice Loop and enjoyed it. Although SRT is "only" a ten mile loop, be prepared for a strenuous and long ride, especially if you aren't familiar with technical slickrock riding. There are several areas of exposure, but not THAT many death-defying portions. Careful at "Natural Selection Viewpoint" near Shrimp Rock! There was no way our kids (10 and 15) were in shape or technically able to attempt the entire loop. (We were on older 26" hard tails with Fox suspension forks.)

We rode Porcupine Rim when there was a fair amount of snow at the trailhead in the upper section. Trail was really wet. Ice and snow in the shaded portions of the trail - this was the same time of year, first week of April. After an hour or two of riding, we realized there was no way we were going to make the entire ride down, to the single track and then the highway and back into town. We cut it short by returning to the first trailhead on Sand Flats Rd. (stock tanks, I think).

In hindsight, I wish we had had put in more training beforehand so we could have made more of our Moab trip. But we still enjoyed the trails and did the classic hikes in the area. Only thing we didn't do that I had hoped to was rent a Jeep and do some four wheeling. (My wife and I did Lockhart Canyon 20 years ago and had a blast.)

I hope you have a great trip and introduce your kids to the wonder of the desert southwest!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I rode the Deadhorse trails which were awesome. I then rode Rusty Spur to Sidewinder and then down to town but my rear derailleur DNF'ed and my sister in law broke three spokes so that concluded our riding on this trip.

Thanks again for the recommendations,

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
    I rode the Deadhorse trails which were awesome. I then rode Rusty Spur to Sidewinder and then down to town but my rear derailleur DNF'ed and my sister in law broke three spokes so that concluded our riding on this trip.

Thanks again for the recommendations,

Mike
    The only downsides to the Dead Horse trails are the long drive to get there, and the $20/car hit for the park entrance fee. That's pretty steep, although it is good for three days. You can park outside the park at the triangle where Long Canyon Road and the Dead Horse road meet, about a mile from the entrance, and pay $4.00 (good for three days) to ride in. Makes sense if you are by yourself, because the trails cross the road just inside the Entrance Station anyway, and if you need water or a bathroom, you can loop over to the Visitor's Center. Also, ebikes are legal on those trails if you are into that.

https://site.utah.gov/stateparks/wp-...trepid-Map.jpg

I wish Sidewinder was longer, it is a hoot. Its a trail that parallels the paved bike path between Arches and the Bar-M trailheads.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    We had booked an RV site at the Windgate campground inside Deadhorse. It was one of the nicest campsites I've ever stayed at, plus, the trails were right there!

I cannot wait to go back!

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
    We had booked an RV site at the Windgate campground inside Deadhorse. It was one of the nicest campsites I've ever stayed at, plus, the trails were right there!

I cannot wait to go back!

Mike
    Definitely a cool place to stay. It can be a bit windy, but the trails, the views off the rims, and the sunrises/sunsets make it worth it.