Heading to SLC for the 1st time- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Heading to SLC for the 1st time

Will be in town for a week from Houston, TX. Have never done advanced trails before, and will be renting a bike. Looking for recommendations and/or a friendly guide! Week of the 16th.

Picture Unrelated
    Trailforks.com | Mountain Biking Trail Database is a great place to start. What kind of riding do you normally do and what kind of riding are you looking to do?
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Frame Building Moderator
    If the weather holds, and you want gorgeous views and lots of mellow trails, come up to Park City and explore Round Valley. About a 30 minute drive from downtown.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Check your PMs....

mtbr member
    If I may hijack,

I am very new to the area but have visited a few times. I am on my own this weekend and would like some recommended routes. Couple years ago I did a ride from Deer Valley Empire Resort to Canyons area (I think bottom of Collin's trail) that required shuttling. Is there a way to do something similar without shuttling and/or is the bus system still a viable option at this time of year (heard they were free during summer.)

Basically, I'm looking for cool epic-ish routes I can do on my own or with the help of the Park City bus system. I did the Armstrong - Pinecone ride the other day and while it kicked my ass, I am willing to do it again. But I also want to try something different before it gets too cold. Apparently the Crest Trail is too snowy at the moment or else I'd do that.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggum View Post
    If I may hijack,

I am very new to the area but have visited a few times. I am on my own this weekend and would like some recommended routes. Couple years ago I did a ride from Deer Valley Empire Resort to Canyons area (I think bottom of Collin's trail) that required shuttling. Is there a way to do something similar without shuttling and/or is the bus system still a viable option at this time of year (heard they were free during summer.)

Basically, I'm looking for cool epic-ish routes I can do on my own or with the help of the Park City bus system. I did the Armstrong - Pinecone ride the other day and while it kicked my ass, I am willing to do it again. But I also want to try something different before it gets too cold. Apparently the Crest Trail is too snowy at the moment or else I'd do that.

Thanks.
    I think you're out of luck. It's getting a bit wet up here above 7500'. I'm guessing lots of the mid-mountain trail is too wet. I expect Flying Dog is still good. I rode Rob's today up to the "memorial bench", and it was okay, but there were patches of snow. Pinebrook is done.

mtbr member
    Oh! Thanks for the head's up. I like Glenwild/Flying Dog. Had a good ride there a few days ago. Guess I'll do it again and think about some mid-mountain ride on Sunday, perhaps.

You know of any good riding groups/clubs I can meet up with? Still getting acclimated to the elevation and climbing so I consider myself an intermediate rider around here. I can basically ride anytime (my work hours are flexible...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggum View Post
    Oh! Thanks for the head's up. I like Glenwild/Flying Dog. Had a good ride there a few days ago. Guess I'll do it again and think about some mid-mountain ride on Sunday, perhaps.

You know of any good riding groups/clubs I can meet up with? Still getting acclimated to the elevation and climbing so I consider myself an intermediate rider around here. I can basically ride anytime (my work hours are flexible...)
    Sorry, I don't. I expect Sunday is your best bet for mm. BST is
    another option.

Frame Building Moderator
    Other options:
    -Corner Canyon
    -Trails in Heber area
    -Round Valley

Flying Dog is in great shape as of yesterday. Should be fine today/until we get snow. At this point I'm ready to hang up the bike and wax skis, but I'll ride until I can't!

-Walt

mtbr member
    I rode Flying Dog yesterday, too! It was in fine shape.

Was going to ride mid-mountain, etc. (heard it was dry) but have decided to go on a hike somewhere, possibly Mt. Olympus.

I've ridden Corner Canyon a few times and like it. It's a short drive from my place, too. Need to check out those other 2 suggestions. And BST. Thanks!

I hope the weather holds out for at least couple more weeks so I can check out some new stuff.