Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Heading to Erda, UT this weekend...what grips?

2K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  slcrockymountainrider 
#1 ·
Gonna be in Erda, UT some time on Saturday on a business trip. Apparently there is a record store there still open that has a first pressing of Bow Wow Wow's Peel Sessions that's in pretty good shape.

Anyway, I was going to load the bike in the back of the truck and just take it out there with me. Don't really plan on riding anything, but was wondering what grips I should use??? I ride a 29'er and so I'm having trouble finding grips that are compatible and will work well. Honestly, I really don't care but I thought I'd just announce this to the whole world via this website and let everyone know that I have a :drumroll: 29'er :drumroll: .

Actually, there's a lot of bugs hatching right now and I really don't want to get my handlebars and saddle all gunked up. Anyone have a freeride bike I can borrow for the trip? I'll leave mine at home all clean and lubed up, but can promise that yours will get all sticky and maybe stolen as I'm a bit of a slacker when it comes to locking my gear up. Actually, I won't have any money left after what I'm sure is going to be a huge sticker price on that record and can't afford to buy a lock.

You guys should check out my BFF's vid of the Bobsled. I think the camera got all messed up and so the footage is sped up 3x. Sorry, I couldn't get the program to work and get it back down to normal speed. That was me in the way causing him to hit his face on the ground after that 18inch drop. I shouldn't have cleared it as I wasn't wearing full body armor like my friend with the helmet cam. Crazy how his mug got so messed up like that through his full face.

Ahhh...yeah. I'm going to hell.

See less See more
#3 ·
shelbster15 said:
I'd be more worried about how pure the air is in your tires. I would hate to imagine your tires being starved of oxygen...
I didn't even think about that.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm quite new to the state...moved here in '83 so I'm still trying to get accustomed to things and figure out which set up is best.

#7 · (Edited)
mikedeber said:
Just get some of those handlebars that have the bar ends integrated on them, they came on GT's in the mid 90's. that would be sweet, probably don't even need grips on there cuz they're so awesome.
I guess I wasn't clear originally.

First off, I just wanted to shout out to everyone that I was going to Erda because that seems to be what is expected here. "Hey, I'm going to PC next weekend for a convention!"

Secondly, since I'm lonely I just really wanted people to interact with me here and maybe meet a new friend while in Erda buying that record. I have some grips that work OK for my sweet bike and seem to fit well on the handlebars I've chosen to use. One is kinda scratched on the end though and I can't say I like the color as it clashes with my Punky Brewster scheme.

I have to say that these Threads really bummed me out and I was a little scared that I would post this and not get any responses like these guys:

happy valley tires.: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=503468
29er rider looking for people to ride Moab: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=493026

So sad. No one rode with the :drumroll: 29er rider :drumroll:

I know there are lots more. I see them all over this site.

#9 · (Edited)
supersize said:
What you don't change grips for different trails? I found a sweet set for flying dog. I am getting close to the best grip setup for shoreline.

Lets see this 29er of yours. :cool:
I'm running red grips now. I usually post shots of my bike all clean in my living room, so here's a shot of my sweet :drumroll: 29er :drumroll: post ride and dirty. Yep, 29 inches around each bicep. She'll be riding in the back of my truck out the Erda. Love to show her off.

I used to let Bortis ride her from time to time but then it just got all wierd when mr. welcorn would jump on take her for a spin right after he was done. I got sick of cleaning up and keeping everything lubed properly. Then her suspension started to leak like a new Rock Shox fork, so I decided not to loan the old girl out.

#10 ·
slcrockymountainrider said:
I didn't even think about that.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm quite new to the state...moved here in '83 so I'm still trying to get accustomed to things and figure out which set up is best.
If you are worried about the purity of the air in your tires I would recommend you just use pure medical grade nitrogen or argon, you know, the easily available inert gases.

But if you are truely rad you would use helium for weight savings and huffing purposes.

B

#13 ·
TheProf said:
possible lyrics?

You roll and roll
Hour after hour
Oh freeride 29er
I wanna roll you in flour
Freeride
Freeride 29er
You've got such big and voluminous
Freeride tires!

You roll and roll
Hour after hour
Oh freeride 29er
I wanna roll you in flour

Freeride
Freeride 29er
I want to ride you long and hard
Like a giant super hero giner

That's a good start.

#16 · (Edited)

I used to let Bortis ride her from time to time but then it just got all wierd when mr. welcorn would jump on take her for a spin right after he was done. I got sick of cleaning up and keeping everything lubed properly. Then her suspension started to leak like a new Rock Shox fork, so I decided not to loan the old girl out.
That's not totally true, you are so OCD about your maintenance and cleaning the sharing thing wasn't a big deal to me, you may have got tired of the clean up but I don't recall us every complaining. And by the way, the correct term for that ^^^ is "twenty-giner" and I'm sure I don't have to point out where that comes from and it should be pretty much self explanatory....think folds....:eekster:

Anyway...

I liked the twenty-giner thing because once you got it going the extra inertia of all that mass really helped me keep things moving, you know, let the the motion of the ocean do all the work kinda thing... But if I had to stop for some reason, like my cell phone rang, needed to stop and "lube up" or the pizza delivery guy showed up again, (it was usually a 2 delivery kinda night if you know what I'm saying :ihih: ) it was way too much work to get the twenty-giner back up to speed, and I just don't have time for that kinda foreplay these days. Plus, let's face it, it is definitely sketchy "going down" on those things....

B

P.S. Sweet Blog SLCRMR...

#17 ·
Going Big!

Bortis Yelltzen said:
That's not totally true, you are so OCD about your maintenance and cleaning the sharing thing wasn't a big deal to me, you may have got tired of the clean up but I don't recall us every complaining. And by the way, the correct term for that ^^^ is "twenty-giner" and I'm sure I don't have to point out where that comes from and it should be pretty much self explanatory....think folds....:eekster:
Oh, I've read about your 'twenty-giner' on Butt****s.com but I didn't want to plagerize. With the 'giner' in the ever developing lyrics of my sweet song, I took and bastardized your 'twenty-giner'. Took it down deep within the folds, dropped the Jackson and went straight for the nugget. Thus the simple 'giner.'

You know what I'm stoked about? No, not the fact that I'm watching Matthew McConaughey in Surfer, Dude on Starz right now and am discernably turgid. It's the fact that the new Mountain Bike Fiction magazine showed up today. The mailman was sitting at my front door since 11:35am waiting to hand it to me in person. Good thing I took the elevator instead of the stairs after work!

Anyhooo...for some reason my fingers magically turned directly to page 37, bypassing pages cover, inside cover, and 2 thru 36, right to an article titled Going Big. Seeing as how I'm pretty much a Freerider. Actually a :drumroll: 29er :drumroll: Freerider! Shaka bra! I was stoked to see Chris Sugai (pronounced; So-Gay) telling the MBAction peeps what being a :drumroll: 29er :drumroll: is all about. Represent!

From So-Gay:
"...1. You will notice that you have much more speed and confidence while going down-hill. This has been almost universal for all :drumroll: 29er :drumroll: riders. Twenty-niners are more stable due to the increased gyroscopic effect of the larger wheel...."

That's what I'm talkin' about.
My buddy Chupie who worked at the REI bike bench for two weeks told me that Sam Hill is actually racing a :drumroll: 29er :drumroll: proto DH Special-Ed that's masked as a little bike. He does this so Steve Peat won't notice and copy him. It has special geometry to make it faster: 74 degree HA and a 86 inch wheelbase.

Sick.

Some old man yelled at me the other day in Millcreek to slow down. I'm on a :drumroll: 29er :drumroll: man, I can't. I'm going up there on odd days, there's less bikers:nono: .

So insightful.

#18 ·
I have found that pedaling backwards going downhill winds up the rear hub actually really good until it gets overloaded and clicks like those little matchbox toy cars and.....Wabbam! You're gone like a sell of spandex on bonktown.com. Since the type on terrain you will be involved with while riding in beautiful Erda is somewhat sketchy. I would recommend raising you're handlebars like the hombre below and adding streamers to help stabilize airflow in the underarm region.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
First Night Ride of the Year!

I was getting tired of all this heat we've been having lately. Seriously, you'd think we were living in the desert. So I decided to head out and do a night ride along the Shoreline. As you can see from the photo's below, it was pretty epic.

Whoops. Don't know how that last one got in there. That was me last Valentines Day hanging out in front of Market Street looking for a third wheel to come walkin' past with their cool friends. I wasn't looking for love, just good conversation.

Anyway, everything was pretty happy and I was having a good time until my Manitou Drake Super Air :drumroll: 29er :drumroll: fork blew up on me. Seems I rode the beast a bit too hard. The seals started to leak a little and then after I bottomed out the suspension a couple of times it just spewed up the rest of the internals. Gonna have to send it off and get it PUSH'd so I can start Freeriding down Bobsled again.

I snapped this shot right as the Manitou lost the will to continue:

Just one more waffer thin mint?

Yep. Next time I'll use lights.

#20 · (Edited)
Body Geometry

Looks like my trip to Erda might get derailed.

I was trying to peek into my neighbors window and Brown showed up with a big box from the fine folks at Specialized out in West Valley.
BTW, don't try signing one of those electronic delivery box thingy's they shove in your face when you've got both hands deep in your pockets. It doesn't work.

Anyway, it was a pretty big box and took a little time getting in through my window (I lost the keys to my front door) but I got it all in with only minor damage-to the window and the box.

Inside was a personal, handwritten note addressed to someone named Michael that read:

Hey Michael,

Here's that new Body Geometry skinsuit we're prototyping. Could you get on this ASAP and send your feedback in by the end of next week? We're hoping to unveil this at Interbike in Sept.

~Ting Ba Dho

I'm guessing the Michael in question is my neighbor, but he's a work and this obviously needs a full write up A-Sap so I'm on it:thumbsup: !

The fit is a little snug, and it's a little hotter than the set up I normally ride with. But it's comfy and fairly aero. Eye coverage is a bit better than the aviator glasses I normally wear and I haven't had a bug block my vision yet, although all the fuzzy lines that close to my eyes made me start seeing double. Only complaint is that it starts whistling really loud when you hit 13mph with a head wind and a bird flew in the rear helmet vent. Oh, and while I was unlocking my bike from in front of the single Smiths on 4th South someone mistook me for a garbage can and threw their Cafe' Rio garbage on me.

This is the future.
I Am Specialized!

#21 ·
Looks like my trip to Erda might get derailed.
Damn dude, you have waaaay too much time on your hands. Now, if you would just turn to page 46 of Mountain Bike Axtion (please note the x for added degrees of X-tremeness) you will see that carbon fiber grips are where it's at, the weight savings will take at least .68 seconds off your next Crest lap.

PS, weren't you the least bit concerned about what color valve caps to use in Erda? Seems that would be vastly more important than grip compound in that terrain.

#22 ·
catch22 said:
Damn dude, you have waaaay too much time on your hands. Now, if you would just turn to page 46 of Mountain Bike Axtion (please note the x for added degrees of X-tremeness) you will see that carbon fiber grips are where it's at, the weight savings will take at least .68 seconds off your next Crest lap.

PS, weren't you the least bit concerned about what color valve caps to use in Erda? Seems that would be vastly more important than grip compound in that terrain.
I definitely hear what you're throwin' down. I'm just shoutin' out like everyone else to keep the peeps informed of my existence. Plus, when you're on a :drumroll: 29er :drumroll: everything's fast. So I have plenty of time for myself. But thanks for caring.

Moving on to the important stuff...

Valve caps are definitely a concern of mine, as are the appropriate spread of color throughout a wheel with Spokey Dokes. However, now that I'm running presta like all the cool kids I'm having a difficult time finding skull flavored valve caps for that medium. I mean, I have an entire chest of shrader valve caps of all shape, color and religion. I don't know, maybe I need to drill my rims out and go back to the dark side. So it's Spokey Dokes for now.

You have to be careful though as you can mess these up and really screw your bike up. Here's an example of a correct application:

And here is an example of an incorrect application:

Yep, the last one got it all wrong. Good thing he's already got that dull spoon to his wrist. No point in living really.

Thanks man!

Keep on keepin' on.

#23 · (Edited)
Scumdance

So I got sidetracked yesterday watching cartoons and next thing I know it was dark. Having blown up my sweet Manitou on my last night ride I decided to continue sitting.

Anyway, I needed to get out to test the new Specialized skin suit and so I headed down to Sundance. Yep, the skin suit was too much. After one run it sucked all the power off the mountain and they had to close the lift for 3 hours. Not to be outdone, I headed back downtown and got into a financial wager with some fixie kids.

The bet: Who could jump over the highest stack of Q-Tips?
Why Q-Tips? Well a friend had a box in his car already. Odd, I know. They're soft so if you hit them, you're not going to bend a rim or puncture. Only downside is stacking them and keeping them from blowing away. So the highest we could get them was 1. Which at first didn't seem very high. Little did we know.....

Erica attempt one. Crash and she bent both sides of her flat XC bars. Out of the running and one lost cotton swab...Phew!

Erica when she found out her sweet 66'er didn't work anymore. Yep, that's an original 66'er: 26 inch up front, 16 inch out back. Eat your heart out Travis Brown!

Pat's first and only try. His/Her crash was a lot worse than it looks in this photo and He/She got really hurt.

My second attempt. I was able to clean the swab all day long. Yeah, I said it....clean the swab. The key was the 30 inch BB and covering your face with a couple of rags. Not knowing the Q-Tip was on the road really helped psychologically. You can see the Q-Tip a foot out in front but I wasn't backing down.

Yep, I won. Roll of nickles. AND I got to take Pat home :thumbsup: .

#24 · (Edited)
I lost a kid

So my friend wanted me to watch his daughter for an hour while he went down to Dewey's Bail Bonds to return a favor to a buddy of his. Seeing as how I'm fairly anal about my place, I handed the girl some colored chalk I just happened to have in my pocket and sat her down on the sidewalk while I went inside to finish watching my show.

I think an hour or so passed and I remembered the child and went up to see if she wanted some water. Of course dad handn't shown up yet so I realized I was going to have to feed and water the thing. Much to my surprise she wasn't there. At first I panicked, but noticed a bunch of chalk lines running down the street. Bingo! Follow the chalk! I swear, if the police would just do the obvious we'd have a lot fewer missing children.

Anyway, I went back inside to make lunch as I didn't want to start following chalk lines on an empty stomach. 3 hours later my lasagna was done and I could begin the search. Fortunately, it didn't rain.

The chalk lines seemed to start up by the University, which seemed a little odd and made my head hurt, so I just ignored that fact. After all, they ran past my place and headed west towards downtown. Now one problem with following chalk lines in the street is that cars just don't get it. Seriously. But whatever.

So on I went. Man this girl can move. After 2 hours of following I visited the Hollywood Video, Cafe' Rio, the Post Office, some attorney's office (man, that was uncomfortable), Sam Weller's, a B-line through the Gallivan Center, and number of back and forth squiggly lines in various intersections all ending at the rear wheel of some fixie at the No Brow Coffee Shop. And whatta ya know, no girl. Just a bunch of skinny guys who had the genetic makeup of girls.

Seems I was following this crap the entire time:

A bunch of fixie tweakers with chalk tires! As if looking at all that neon crap all over them in some sort of a Punky Brewster sneeze wasn't bad enough. And BTW, this junk is really going to freak out the alien conspiracy nuts who think airplane contrails release mind altering substances into the air. Now it's all over the ground, in all sorts of colors and they can touch it.

I can't wait until some genius mixes this with Monkey Lights.

So much for finding lost children. Way to go fixies!

Don't blame me for the 5 minutes you'll never get back.

#25 ·
So my friend wanted me to watch his daughter for an hour while he went down to Dewey's Bail Bonds to return a favor to a buddy of his. Seeing as how I'm fairly anal about my place, I handed the girl some colored chalk I just happened to have in my pocket and sat her down on the sidewalk while I went inside to finish watching my show.

I think an hour or so passed and I remembered the child and went up to see if she wanted some water. Of course dad handn't shown up yet so I realized I was going to have to feed and water the thing. Much to my surprise she wasn't there. At first I panicked, but noticed a bunch of chalk lines running down the street. Bingo! Follow the chalk! I swear, if the police would just do the obvious we'd have a lot fewer missing children.

Anyway, I went back inside to make lunch as I didn't want to start following chalk lines on an empty stomach. 3 hours later my lasagna was done and I could begin the search. Fortunately, it didn't rain.

The chalk lines seemed to start up by the University, which seemed a little odd and made my head hurt, so I just ignored that fact. After all, they ran past my place and headed west towards downtown. Now one problem with following chalk lines in the street is that cars just don't get it. Seriously. But whatever.

So on I went. Man this girl can move. After 2 hours of following I visited the Hollywood Video, Cafe' Rio, the Post Office, some attorney's office (man, that was uncomfortable), Sam Weller's, a B-line through the Gallivan Center, and number of back and forth squiggly lines in various intersections all ending at the rear wheel of some fixie at the No Brow Coffee Shop. And whatta ya know, no girl. Just a bunch of skinny guys who had the genetic makeup of girls.

Seems I was following this crap the entire time:

A bunch of fixie tweakers with chalk tires! As if looking at all that neon crap all over them in some sort of a Punky Brewster sneeze wasn't bad enough.

I can't wait until some genius mixes this with Monkey Lights.

So much for finding lost children. Way to go fixies!

Don't blame me for the 5 minutes you'll never get back.
Seems like there might be a market for this with all the "raver" kids with their glowsticks and recreational drugs.

#26 ·

"Mister slcrockymountainrider, what you just said, is one of the most insanely, idiotic things I have ever heard.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.