Headed to Zion...trails to ride and Gooseberry road conditions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 80 of 80
  1. #1
    mtbr member since 1996
    Reputation: Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118

    Headed to Zion...trails to ride and Gooseberry road conditions

    Last year I rode Gooseberry. Love the trail...hate the drive. I went up the road on the Zion side and wow...it was a nightmare. Is is still as bad? Worse? When I left I went the other way that was longer, but that road wasn't great either.

    Other trails I should try? JEM trail is one I hear about, but have not ridden. Anything else in and around the Zion/Springdale/Virgin area? And no, the Red Bull course is not an option
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    161
    There are other threads for this but what the hey.

    Anything around Hurricane is good. JEM, Hurricane Rim, Gould's Rim, Dead Ringer, etc.

    Guacamole and Little Creek Mesa are fun Gooseberry like trails.

    If it is raining or has recently rained, do us a favor and don't destroy our trails. In this scenario you should ride Church Rocks/Prospector.

    All the trails I've mentioned can be found here:
    http://www.trailforks.com/region/hurricane/

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoCal-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    635
    Guacamole is close to the Zion entrance. Don't try to drive up the dirt road if it's muddy. I'm guessing it would be a mess and the final hill, dangerous.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,414
    Check in (feel free to call) with Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane and they will tell you what road & trail conditions are like when you are ready to ride. If you liked Gooseberry Mesa, try Guacamole (known to some as Baby Gooseberry) but not if it has rained because the road up there *when muddy* is dangerous. Little Creek Mesa is 1/4 dirt, 1/4 riding along the cliffs and 1/2 riding on rock slabs as you climb out. One of my favorites but easy to get lost as well.

    If you like techy stuff, try the Boy Scout Trails over by Quail Lake Reservoir. I love the challenge and it's great to ride when it rains and other trails are not rideable. Over in St George, there is the Zen Trail + Barrel Roll & Suicidal Tendencies.

    FYI...Over the Edge does shop rides every Saturday and there is also a company out there running various shuttles to trailheads in a 4x4 van if you want to avoid driving yourself.
    Carpe Diem!!

  5. #5
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Cry baby hill (the tough road you mentioned) is as bad now as its ever been. We got a ton of rain near Gooseberry Mesa today. Several people have already needed extrication. In a day it should be good, but only the "long" way. JEM and surrounding trails will need a day as well. Little Creek and Guacamole are also out. Prospector/Church Rocks and the Santa Clara trails would be a good bet.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  6. #6
    mtbr member since 1996
    Reputation: Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    Thanks everyone. I am very trail conscious and avoid wet trails. I'm sure it must be frstating to have all these visitors ruin your trails because they are there and don't want to miss riding because of rain.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

  7. #7
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Thanks everyone. I am very trail conscious and avoid wet trails. I'm sure it must be frstating to have all these visitors ruin your trails because they are there and don't want to miss riding because of rain.
    There are a few trails there that, when wet, I simply wouldn't ride.

    Mostly because they'd be so slow (sticky mud) that they'd no longer be fun. JEM would be a prime example of this. Rode out there from Springdale one day last winter. The road in was soaked, but I saw some guys with bikes pulling out from the upper/Virgin parking area, so I kept going to see what was what.

    Trail was completely trashed, and after riding maybe 20ft, I decided not only did I not want to contribute to its further destruction, but it simply wouldn't be any fun to ride. That trail is all about hot, nasty speed, and slogging along through 3" of mud at 8mph isn't particularly fast nor fun. Picked my bike up, turned around, pedaled home.
    Death from Below.

  8. #8
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    The trails should be great now. The road in to Gooseberry still has some big puddles. Drive at your own risk.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  9. #9
    mtbr member since 1996
    Reputation: Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    Does anyone know what cell phone (TMobile specifically) reception is like at Guacamole/Margarita? I would expect zero, but sometimes you find reception in the strangest places (best cell reception I had in Yosemite was at the top of Half Dome).
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

  10. #10
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    T mobile is horrible in most of SW Utah. Verizon is best and even that is spotty on Guacamole.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  11. #11
    mtbr member since 1996
    Reputation: Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    Looks like it will be JEM and Guacamole. Probably during the week. These OK to solo? I'd be up for meeting anyone who may want to ride.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

  12. #12
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Looks like it will be JEM and Guacamole. Probably during the week. These OK to solo? I'd be up for meeting anyone who may want to ride.
    JEM is rolling desert single track cruising. The trail is readily apparent.

    Guac isn't as easy to follow because, like Gooseberry the majority of it isn't a "trail", it's a path marked by the occasion rock cairns.

    I don't find Guac all that fun, and it has less technical challenges than Goose. They are both worth a drive up there to check out, though. Just not my cup of tea.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  13. #13
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Guacamole is a ton of fun. It has its own flavor and most of it can be done pretty quickly. Route finding there can be difficult, especially finding the Holy Guacamole trail (not legal), definitely a good one.

    JEM and the accompanying trails are easy to find. Just wander around the area and take any junction you see.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    276
    Hi folks, I'm thinking of heading out there in the next few days, road trip from SF to boulder city, to zion area to sedona to new mex and up to vail.
    Will have an enduro, dh and dj with me and thinking about dh shuttles where poss, but can pedal too
    Any tips about zion shuttles, use enduro or dh. someone mentioned 4x4 shuttle, that would be awesome. I dont mind pedaling but not into peddle fests
    Also would be into some dj sessions
    Thanks
    G
    PS i've ridden moab a bunch and may wind up swinging thru there too, love their dj park
    Last edited by gideon; 12-01-2016 at 01:37 PM.

  15. #15
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Look up Mountain Bike Buddies. Mark runs the shuttle and is a great guy. Not too many shuttle runs around here but there are a few.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    276
    thanks, I contacted Mark and he said he's done for the season

  17. #17
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Shoot. PM me your dates. I can shuttle.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  18. #18
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Silentfoe, heading to Hurricane for first time, next weekend. What tires are you into, this time of year (late December)? Past 2 Summers, visiting Moab, I am super happy with my Vittoria Goma front, Vittoria Morsa rear. Moab is like taking an electric sander to new tires, no flats, but fast wear. I don't know what type of trail surface is in Hurricane (rocks or dirt?).

    Note: here in NORCAL, lots of winter mud, wet rocks, forest, loamy coastal trails.

  19. #19
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    Depends where you're riding. Low elevation trails are all decomposed rocky soil.

    The Mesa tops aren't as high speed as anything in Moab; they're all flat. Tire wear should be a lot less.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Silentfoe, heading to Hurricane for first time, next weekend. What tires are you into, this time of year (late December)? Past 2 Summers, visiting Moab, I am super happy with my Vittoria Goma front, Vittoria Morsa rear. Moab is like taking an electric sander to new tires, no flats, but fast wear. I don't know what type of trail surface is in Hurricane (rocks or dirt?).

    Note: here in NORCAL, lots of winter mud, wet rocks, forest, loamy coastal trails.
    The soil types in the Hurricane area are mostly clay loam and very cobbly loam. The CL isn't good when wet, don't ride there if it is. This time of year the trails are pretty hard packed and dusty.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Uh, there is zero loam in our area. Not enough organic matter in our soil. Anyway, the loose dirt and rock coupled with the slick rock can be hard on tires, especially sidewalls. I'm a big advocate of run what ya brung. If they're made of rubber and round and not super lightweight racing slicks, you should be ok.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Uh, there is zero loam in our area. Not enough organic matter in our soil. Anyway, the loose dirt and rock coupled with the slick rock can be hard on tires, especially sidewalls. I'm a big advocate of run what ya brung. If they're made of rubber and round and not super lightweight racing slicks, you should be ok.
    Are you a bike guide or a geologist?

    Headed to Zion...trails to ride and Gooseberry road conditions-screenshot-2016-12-11-15-51-11.jpg
    Headed to Zion...trails to ride and Gooseberry road conditions-screenshot-2016-12-11-15-50-45.jpg
    Headed to Zion...trails to ride and Gooseberry road conditions-screenshot-2016-12-11-15-50-10.jpg

  23. #23
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Touche. I did grow up in the NW though and that is what I call loam. We have dirt, and rock.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,987
    Yes, no loam. But there is a lot of expansive-type clays, particulary smectite. An evil mineral whose crystalline lattice happens to fit an H20 molecule. Which means it not only absorbs moisture it likes to retain it and swell and become sticky. Especially problematic in the Chinle and Moenkopi Formations. Fortunately, the mesa tops east of Hurricane are composed of the resistant, oldest member of the Chinle (Shinarump) which is mostly sandy conglomerate. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Pretty amazing area, geologically speaking.

  25. #25
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Yes, no loam. But there is a lot of expansive-type clays, particulary smectite. An evil mineral whose crystalline lattice happens to fit an H20 molecule. Which means it not only absorbs moisture it likes to retain it and swell and become sticky. Especially problematic in the Chinle and Moenkopi Formations. Fortunately, the mesa tops east of Hurricane are composed of the resistant, oldest member of the Chinle (Shinarump) which is mostly sandy conglomerate. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Pretty amazing area, geologically speaking.
    Awesome.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  26. #26
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Ahhhhh, classic MTBR opinions and great answers. I will stick with my current tires, worked miracles in Moab (it was the grip from Rocks, not tires, hahaha). Yes, we did have that weird red cement stick to our bikes one day in Moab in 2015. Wet Magnificent Seven day. Freaked us out! It's like a cement truck poured a load on our bikes. Weird stuff. Thanks for the response. I am definitely NOT installing Geax Mezcal's. Sticking with Goma 2.4 setup.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Yes, no loam. But there is a lot of expansive-type clays, particulary smectite. An evil mineral whose crystalline lattice happens to fit an H20 molecule. Which means it not only absorbs moisture it likes to retain it and swell and become sticky. Especially problematic in the Chinle and Moenkopi Formations. Fortunately, the mesa tops east of Hurricane are composed of the resistant, oldest member of the Chinle (Shinarump) which is mostly sandy conglomerate. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Pretty amazing area, geologically speaking.
    to be a mtn biking geologister in utah should make for a pretty enjoyable life.
    breezy shade

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,987
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    to be a mtn biking geologister in utah should make for a pretty enjoyable life.
    Ha, yeah I did my MS on the Chinle in Moab in the late 80s. I would do field work in the morning and then ride my bike in the afternoon. It was a very different town than now.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,987
    edit to delete duplicate post.

  30. #30
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    to be a mtn biking geologister in utah should make for a pretty enjoyable life.
    I definitely wish I knew more about this stuff. It's amazing here. I get asked all of the time by clients as to what they are looking at. I've done some general research but this stuff is not my strong suit and I have a hard time anyway after my TBI's retaining information. I did a guide once with one of the state geologists from Illinois. Her husband just smiled and apologized that we wouldn't get a ton of riding in, while she geeked out about everything. I actually learned quite a bit from her. It's interesting to see that we do have "loam" here, however, I still don't think it is (being stubborn) anything like the loam in the NW.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Ha, yeah I did my MS on the Chinle in Moab in the late 80s. I would do field work in the morning and then ride my bike in the afternoon. It was a very different town than now.
    field work in the morning & riding in the afternoon. wow, you must have felt like you had your stars pretty well lined up. what a time!

    late 80's, huh? i was lucky enough to discover Moab in the early 80's, in the winter. i was on IS 70 at night on my way to Little Cottonwood Canyon. saw the sign for National Parks turnoff & figured i'd go down & see something the next day & then get on w/ the ski vacation. i stayed for 3 weeks! i just couldn't believe what i was seeing, everywhere, everything. so mesmerizing. and Moab, talk about a sleepy little town. i was in a bar one night, the Poplar i think{it burned down} reading the weekly local paper about a new thing that was catching on just outside of town. riding bicycles on sandstone on a marked out route that local motorcyclists had developed. sounded like something different to do & i hadn't been on a bike in who knows how long. rented a fully rigid from i think Western Spirit, the second of 2 bike shops in town. made it to you know where & got my ass kicked. many hours later, i'd covered the entire route, pushing that bike more than riding it cuz i couldn't even dream of being able to actually ride that shite, even though i was in disbelief witnessing people doing it. what a day.

    so, you got any suggestions on Utah geology books written for laymen or dummy level reading? a few hints from someone like yourself would be great
    breezy shade

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,987
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    field work in the morning & riding in the afternoon. wow, you must have felt like you had your stars pretty well lined up. what a time!

    late 80's, huh? i was lucky enough to discover Moab in the early 80's, in the winter. i was on IS 70 at night on my way to Little Cottonwood Canyon. saw the sign for National Parks turnoff & figured i'd go down & see something the next day & then get on w/ the ski vacation. i stayed for 3 weeks! i just couldn't believe what i was seeing, everywhere, everything. so mesmerizing. and Moab, talk about a sleepy little town. i was in a bar one night, the Poplar i think{it burned down} reading the weekly local paper about a new thing that was catching on just outside of town. riding bicycles on sandstone on a marked out route that local motorcyclists had developed. sounded like something different to do & i hadn't been on a bike in who knows how long. rented a fully rigid from i think Western Spirit, the second of 2 bike shops in town. made it to you know where & got my ass kicked. many hours later, i'd covered the entire route, pushing that bike more than riding it cuz i couldn't even dream of being able to actually ride that shite, even though i was in disbelief witnessing people doing it. what a day.

    so, you got any suggestions on Utah geology books written for laymen or dummy level reading? a few hints from someone like yourself would be great
    Yeah, sleepy but also a bit raw. Woodys and Club Rio were the two bars in town. It was still a dying uranium town in the late 80s.

    Here's two books on southern Utah geology that are good. I went through grad school with both of these guys and if anything they are excellent photographers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Southw.../dp/0898868564
    https://www.amazon.com/Geology-Parks.../dp/0874806526
    https://www.amazon.com/Geological-Ev...WAAW9EQFJ7V6JE

    I haven't read this one but it looks like a good read:
    https://www.amazon.com/Geology-Under...DKZ58M7N85RBZV

    And if your ever in Sedona this is the one: https://www.amazon.com/Sedona-Throug...e+wayne+ranney

    Might as well complete the thread hijack: Poison Spider ~1992
    Headed to Zion...trails to ride and Gooseberry road conditions-mtb1992001.jpg

    Gave up on Moab in the mid 90s when it got too trendy and started going to SW Utah instead. First road Thunder Mountain when it was new in 1997 or so and I remember following green dots on Gooseberry not too much later. I'll take Hurricane over Moab any day although I must admit Trail Mix and friends have really stepped it up there. Just can't take the town. Gotta save some places from ourselves but try and find a campspot Friday night in April. Fat chance.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steezus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    797
    Hmmm, my parents have lived in Hurricane for close to 15 years now and I've only mtn biked there once long before they even moved there. I remember JEM was boring double track at the time and Gooseberry was cursed as every time I rode it, one of us would end up with a broken bone. Thinking a Christmas mtn bike trip is in order with all these new trails and I hear JEM has been rerouted.

  34. #34
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Heads up. Light snow and some rain currently forecast Thursday night through Friday. If it holds true, our trails may need to wait.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  35. #35
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Gave up on Moab in the mid 90s when it got too trendy and started going to SW Utah instead. First road Thunder Mountain when it was new in 1997 or so and I remember following green dots on Gooseberry not too much later. I'll take Hurricane over Moab any day although I must admit Trail Mix and friends have really stepped it up there. Just can't take the town. Gotta save some places from ourselves but try and find a campspot Friday night in April. Fat chance.
    I generally like "Moab" as in the general destination, the parks, the BLM land. The town itself? No thanks. When I'm there, it's for gas and groceries, then I'm gone again.

    Springdale is much more my style. Almost complete devoid of the souped up 4x4 crowd. Not nearly as much riding, but it's getting better all the time.

    I know someone will say I'm crazy, but having spent much of my adult life in OR, upstate NY, GA and VA, "singletrack" and a lot of the "trails" in Moab don't really mix, in my mind. If I have to follow paint dots or rock cairns to find my way around, I'm not a huge fan. I generally tend to stick to stuff north and west of town when riding in "Moab". Mag 7, Navajo Rocks and the connector trails.
    Death from Below.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,414
    You'll be fine with whatever tires you run out there. The local shop, Over the Edge, runs mostly Continental Trail Kings. On my 1st trip out there, one of the local guides who use dot post here recommended the Geax Saguaro. It was a biatch to get mounted but once it was mounted, it works great in Utah and SoCal. I ran them on the back for years and have (2) friends still running them on their 29ers. Ss far as back tires I've ran out there, I've ran Conti Mountain Kings, Race Kings, Specialized Ground Controls, Maxxis Ikons and Schwalbe Nobby Nics....teh only tire I had that did NOT work for me out there was the Schwalbe Rock Razor.
    Carpe Diem!!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Steezus View Post
    Hmmm, my parents have lived in Hurricane for close to 15 years now and I've only mtn biked there once long before they even moved there. I remember JEM was boring double track at the time and Gooseberry was cursed as every time I rode it, one of us would end up with a broken bone. Thinking a Christmas mtn bike trip is in order with all these new trails and I hear JEM has been rerouted.
    What?? That's just wrong. Yep, time to get back out there, especially if you've got a place to stay and family to visit. Tons of new trails since then.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  38. #38
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    Unless I'm mistaken, JEM is all single track now.

    Crosses a few small roads, and intersects Goosebumps, Cryptobionic, etc, but no double track after you cross the big wash at the north end.

    Gentle, rolling climb/descent. Smooth and flowy with a few rocky sections to keep you honest. You can really get cooking, even on the "climb".

    Dead Ringer is a super fun trail, too.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  39. #39
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Okay local Hurricane riders, rain is forecast for this Friday. If I ride Las Vegas on Saturday, will trails be good in Hurricane on Sunday and Monday? After Friday rain. Also, will there be a problem with access roads, to trailheads?

  40. #40
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Everything is really dry right now so most of the trails could handle a light rain. Emphasis on light. It's also supposed to snow just a bit and that'll hit the mesas. Have to call that one as we see it.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  41. #41
    mtbr member since 1996
    Reputation: Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118
    I decided to ride JEM when I was there. Fun Singletracks if you like pedally, rolling, non technical riding. Going up I took Dead Ringer. Glad I did as JRM is marked downhill only at some parts. JEM down was a fun ride.

    What is the status of JEM? One way from the top? Two way? The only time I saw anything indicating downhill only was at the top parking lot trail map.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

  42. #42
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    As of last winter, it wasn't marked as directional, at least at the north end.

    It's flat and smooth enough, with good enough sight lines, that making it directional would be "solving" a problem that doesn't exist, at least in my opinion. You can see other riders coming from a long way off, if you're paying attention.
    Death from Below.

  43. #43
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    It's downhill only basically from the Highway 59 trailhead to the JEM/Goosebumps intersection. The rest is bi-directional.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  44. #44
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    With rain coming to Utah, and never have been to Hurricane, our backup is San Luis Obisbo. But we're really hoping to keep this trip headed to Hurricane. Vegas riding Saturday looks to be great, weather wise. As I have no experience with access roads to trails, my concern is really the roads. I assume bike trails should dry by Sunday, if LIGHT Friday rain, as SILENTFOE mentioned.

  45. #45
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    If you can't ride Hurricane due to rain, a lot of the trails in St. George are nothing but rock and hold up very well. Meaning, you can ride in the middle of a downpour and your tires won't leave any sign of your passing.

    Something to contemplate.
    Death from Below.

  46. #46
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Thanks again everyone. Please chime in.

  47. #47
    mtbr member since 1996
    Reputation: Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,118

    JEM video

    Video highlights of my ride:

    https://youtu.be/9mdXp-kfolw
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

  48. #48
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Prospector/Church Rocks and all of the Santa Clara trails will be good after rain. PM me and I'll show you around.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steezus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Video highlights of my ride:

    https://youtu.be/9mdXp-kfolw
    Wow, JEM was nothing like that when I rode it so long ago. It looks a lot more fun now. Can't wait for my shock to get back from Push and a good weather window to head out there.

  50. #50
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Hey all, were still coming out from NorCal, this weekend. Vegas ride Saturday, Hurricane / St George on Sunday and Monday. The potential for rain, on your dirt roads is freaking us out, and we're thinking of 2 days riding Vegas, and only Monday Hurricane, because of access to trailheads on roads. Weather forecast Thoughts?

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,970
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Yeah, sleepy but also a bit raw. Woodys and Club Rio were the two bars in town. It was still a dying uranium town in the late 80s.

    Here's two books on southern Utah geology that are good. I went through grad school with both of these guys and if anything they are excellent photographers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Southw.../dp/0898868564
    https://www.amazon.com/Geology-Parks.../dp/0874806526
    https://www.amazon.com/Geological-Ev...WAAW9EQFJ7V6JE

    I haven't read this one but it looks like a good read:
    https://www.amazon.com/Geology-Under...DKZ58M7N85RBZV

    And if your ever in Sedona this is the one: https://www.amazon.com/Sedona-Throug...e+wayne+ranney

    Might as well complete the thread hijack: Poison Spider ~1992
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtb1992001.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	1109938

    Gave up on Moab in the mid 90s when it got too trendy and started going to SW Utah instead. First road Thunder Mountain when it was new in 1997 or so and I remember following green dots on Gooseberry not too much later. I'll take Hurricane over Moab any day although I must admit Trail Mix and friends have really stepped it up there. Just can't take the town. Gotta save some places from ourselves but try and find a campspot Friday night in April. Fat chance.
    =========================================

    thanks for the titles. looks like i got some reading to do.
    your bike looks an awful{yep} lot like mine from that period. fun then. now...???
    breezy shade

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Hey all, were still coming out from NorCal, this weekend. Vegas ride Saturday, Hurricane / St George on Sunday and Monday. The potential for rain, on your dirt roads is freaking us out, and we're thinking of 2 days riding Vegas, and only Monday Hurricane, because of access to trailheads on roads. Weather forecast Thoughts?
    What kind of riding do you like? What were you hoping to ride in Utah? I'm not a Vegas expert as I've only ridden the Bootleg Canyon area but there is always something to ride in St George/Hurricane, barring a torrential downpour. I'm not trying to talk you out of doing more than one day in Vegas because I hear good things about The Cowboy Trails. However, assuming the trails are wet in St George and you wanted to ride two days there, you could spend day one riding Church Rocks (mostly XC with some rock crawling/climbing, a few high speed areas) to warm up and then move over to ride the Boy Scout Trails (slower, twisty up & down, techy) after getting some lunch. Then hope by day 2 that the road up to Gooseberry is drivable. It gets ugly & muddy at times for sure but is **usually** passable. Once on the mesa, it WILL be rideable.

    You can pretty much guarantee that with any decent amount of rain that Little Creek Mesa won't be rideable and the drive UP to Guacamole won't be drivable. Riding the JEM trail will depend on how much rain there is and if it's followed by sun as it usually dries pretty fast overall. If all that's the case, the Zen Trail over in St George should be ready to go by day 2. It's not long but it's a blast.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 12-15-2016 at 07:26 PM.
    Carpe Diem!!

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,987
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    =========================================

    thanks for the titles. looks like i got some reading to do.
    your bike looks an awful{yep} lot like mine from that period. fun then. now...???
    Yeah, I rode that Bridgestone MB1 until 1996 when I broke a chainstay. I upgraded to a moots ybb and rode that until finally going full squish in 2005. Funny, it was Gooseberry that convinced me a softtail was not the tool for the job. I had Joe Murray repair the frame and I rebuilt it thinking I would ride it but no way jose. Not sure how I ever rode the thing. Must have been younger and didn't know any better.

  54. #54
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Thanks Ktrider1964, that's very helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time to post that.

  55. #55
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    The rain has started
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  56. #56
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    It's been a constant deluge of rain since I posted last. The trails anywhere near Hurricane will not be rideable for days.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    It's been a constant deluge of rain since I posted last. The trails anywhere near Hurricane will not be rideable for days.
    It started here in San Diego's North County at about 9 pm and went non-stop until about 1 pm today. My planters were overflowing with water. I went out to pick up a pizza and water was running down a hill 3 feet wide and about 4-6 inches deep and so fast that the 5-7 storm drains stood no chance.
    Carpe Diem!!

  58. #58
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Drove out to check on the trails today. Gooseberry road is a muddy mess and the trail is still too soft to ride.Headed to Zion...trails to ride and Gooseberry road conditions-20161219_150433.jpg
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  59. #59
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,904
    Thanks for replies. We ended up riding Vegas Saturday, Bootleg Sunday, and Utah on Monday, Zen, then Precipice/Suicidal Tendencies. Great trails! Drove 11 hours back to Oakland Tuesday. Great little trip, and I look forward to going back for Gooseberry Mesa

  60. #60
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    My ride on Gooseberry Mesa today looked like this:
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    My ride on Gooseberry Mesa today looked like this:
    Dang. I saw some folks posting pictures of snow in Zion, but didn't imagine there'd be that much on Gooseberry. I'm planning on riding Scout Trails including the other new stuff around Quail Creek reservoir this coming Friday, then Zen/Barrels or Suicidal Tendencies/Precipice Saturday. I don't imagine the mesas will be rideable by then, but these trails should be good to go, right?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  62. #62
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    They are fine. All the Mesas are out.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  63. #63
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    Looking at my USGS topos (free on Avenza Maps), Gooseberry Mesa is almost 2,000ft higher than the trails in Santa Clara/St. George.
    Death from Below.

  64. #64
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Yep. And confirmed. The Santa Clara trails were perfect today.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  65. #65
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,783
    Headed to St. George this weekend, anything in Hurricane rideable - JEM, etc?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  66. #66
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    No. Absolutely not. Still snow on JEM. It's forecast to rain by the weekend anyway. Santa Clara and St. George are great though. Hit it again today.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  67. #67
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    No. Absolutely not. Still snow on JEM. It's forecast to rain by the weekend anyway. Santa Clara and St. George are great though. Hit it again today.
    Blah. I really don't want to drive from Springdale to St. George every day.

    Will probably wait for better weather.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  68. #68
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,783
    Thanks for the info!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  69. #69
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    Wish more people checked here, or anywhere, for trail conditions. I passed several cars returning from JEM today with extremely muddy bikes. Thanks *******s.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  70. #70
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Wish more people checked here, or anywhere, for trail conditions. I passed several cars returning from JEM today with extremely muddy bikes. Thanks *******s.
    I've seen the last last two times I was in town. Rode from Springdale to the Sheep Bridge trailhead intent on doing a quick out and back, saw filthy bikes, rode home.

    Why do people do this? Is THEIR experience that day (which would be slow and miserable) more important than that of everyone else a few days later?
    Death from Below.

  71. #71
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    The most common excuse we hear is "I drove all the way here, I'm going to ride..." typically from Salt Lake people. I rode my fat bike up the Gooseberry road today. Barely made it. Didn't stop some people from bajaing through the mimud just to ride the trail.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  72. #72
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    If they drove all the way from SLC, they passed St. George on the way down. Why not go for a ride on lower elevation, rockier, drier, less impacted by wet riding trails there?

    Not to mention, bike parts aren't cheap. That red mud gets into everything and eats moving parts for lunch.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    If they drove all the way from SLC, they passed St. George on the way down. Why not go for a ride on lower elevation, rockier, drier, less impacted by wet riding trails there?

    Not to mention, bike parts aren't cheap. That red mud gets into everything and eats moving parts for lunch.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    St. George is further south than Hurricane. You don't have to drive through it to get to the Hurricane trails. Or did I not understand your post?

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  74. #74
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,574
    Quote Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor View Post
    St. George is further south than Hurricane. You don't have to drive through it to get to the Hurricane trails. Or did I not understand your post?

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    You are correct.

    I meant that, time-wise, they "passed" St. George, or it's close enough that it's a wash. From SLC it's 293 miles to the Sheep Bridge trailhead for the JEM trail (Google says 4hr3min), 294 to the southern trailhead on 59 (also 4hr3min), and ~312 miles to Gooseberry Mesa (4hr43min).

    Whereas the parking area for the Green Valley Trails is 306 miles and 4hrs09min.

    Quite frankly, I don't understand why someone WOULDN'T drive a couple extra minutes, out of four plus hours, to ride "dry" trails as opposed to destroying others.
    Death from Below.

  75. #75
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    And then you get an idiot who posts their muddy ride on Strava. SMH.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  76. #76
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    I should add, more rain and snow forecast soon.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,055
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Headed to St. George this weekend, anything in Hurricane rideable - JEM, etc?
    Hey Noah. Dusty from Hubsessed Cycles and I are riding the new stuff at Quail Creek Reservoir tomorrow morning at 8:00-8:30 if you want to join.

    Zen and Barrels were perfect tacky good today.

    Give me a call or message me tonight or tomorrow morning if you're interested.

  78. #78
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,783
    Just saw this KRob, dang!

    Arrived in the rain last night. What do you guys think about today? Hero dirt or disaster?

    If there's no chance or riding (Zen or Santa Clara) I might keep driving (sad)....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

  79. #79
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,134
    You can probably do Prospector and Church rocks. They hold up really well to moisture.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,055
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Just saw this KRob, dang!

    Arrived in the rain last night. What do you guys think about today? Hero dirt or disaster?

    If there's no chance or riding (Zen or Santa Clara) I might keep driving (sad)....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry we missed connecting, Noah. I didn't see this until Friday night either. Sounds like you found some good things to ride. As you know Zen and the Santa Clara stuff was money. We also had good success on Prospector and Church Rocks as Silentfoe said. Surprised you found it sloppy off the start early Saturday just two hours before we found it about as perfect and fast as I've ever seen it. Goes to show how fast Prospector drains with the sandy base.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 09:26 PM
  2. The Road into Gooseberry
    By BeanMan in forum Utah
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 08:28 PM
  3. Gooseberry Mesa road condition
    By Mike_S in forum Utah
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 08:26 PM
  4. Gooseberry / St George trail conditions....
    By k2rider1964 in forum Utah
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
  5. Gooseberry Conditions?
    By Legbacon in forum Utah
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.