Hazzard>UPS>LPS>SFR doable for novice daytrip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Hazzard>UPS>LPS>SFR doable for novice daytrip?

We're planning to visit Moab in the end of june and wanting to make a MTB day trip over there. The ride down from Hazzard (or maybe Burro?) over Kokepelli, UPS, LPS and then out through Sand Flats road to Moab seems like a nice trip. Is this doable for a novice/average rider?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinK
    We're planning to visit Moab in the end of june and wanting to make a MTB day trip over there. The ride down from Hazzard (or maybe Burro?) over Kokepelli, UPS, LPS and then out through Sand Flats road to Moab seems like a nice trip. Is this doable for a novice/average rider?
    I took an older lady who bought her bike at Wal Mart on that ride. She was a trooper, so I would say it depends on the novice/average rider. Plan on 6 hours and bring alot of food and first aid supplies just in case. It would also be a good idea to bring two way radios with spare batteries and well charged cell phones.

Share some pictures of how the ride went.

TD

Picture Unrelated
    How novice are we talking? Couple strong climbs in there, not to mention needing to get around "the notch" (btw, have they put in the re-route yet? It's been a couple years since I've been there and I heard of such things in the future).

Full novice rides would be better elsewhere I think. If you have some decent bike handling skills, you'll be fine up there.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Ride and Smile

if it's not hot

End of June depends on weather. If it is a hot day, it could turn a very doable ride for novices into potential suicide. By all means go for it if you wish but plan on it being a big day and if the weather is an issue, reschedule when heat is not an issue.
    The notch can be a challenge for novices to walk or carry their bikes through, but it's 20 feet long so shouldn't be to hard to get through. My 10 year old did it and I carried his bike down for him. He was pretty exhausted afterward but happy. And a good rider for 10.
    If you are comfortable riding and walking your bike for 4-6 hours you should have no problems. I would highly recommend it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's a really easy ride. To make it more challenging you should do it as a loop from town. Ride up La Sal Mtn loop road, up to Warner, and down Hazard. Trust me.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    It's a really easy ride. To make it more challenging you should do it as a loop from town. Ride up La Sal Mtn loop road, up to Warner, and down Hazard. Trust me.
    Not seeing it. Is the challenge not getting hit by the cars? Or is it cause there is no white line and your not sure which side of the road to ride on?
    But really, a novice rider is asking a serious question. I don't see how your post is at all helpful

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    "the notch" (btw, have they put in the re-route yet? It's been a couple years since I've been there and I heard of such things in the future)..
    Zeb:

The re-route is SWEET and totally walkable after sliding down a 10' section. It keeps you high on the rim and eliminates the climb after the Notch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i may have read something into the post from the Summit "trust me" guy, but i figured he had to be joking. although, like you said, the OP asked a serious Q & since riding in the summer heat in Moab can be deadly, it's probably not to cool to be hiding sarcasm. but since it is only Feb., the novice rider has time to figure out the real from the BS.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Geez this place is uptight.

OP - do a search. Please stop posting a meeelllioooon threads on Moab when there is tons of info in here already - there's even a sticky.

and to be perfectly clear, NO WAY IN HELL should you do that ride in June, as a novice rider. people have died that way.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    [QUOTE=axolotl] My 10 year old did it and I carried his bike down for him. He was pretty exhausted afterward but happy. And a good rider for 10.QUOTE]

what was your ride & elapsed time? was your 10 y/o on 24 or 26 inch wheels? thx

Ride and Smile

26"

[QUOTE=adamant]
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    My 10 year old did it and I carried his bike down for him. He was pretty exhausted afterward but happy. And a good rider for 10.QUOTE]

what was your ride & elapsed time? was your 10 y/o on 24 or 26 inch wheels? thx
    We were riding for about 4 maybe 5 hours. We went from Hazzard down through Porcupine. I know the trail very well and we had a day that was warm but not hot. I carried xtra water and food and 1st aid and phone, etc. I was prepared to go out sand flats if things weren't going well. He was riding 26 inch wheels but the bike was light. About 22lbs with a 4" inch fork and a suspension post.

Members who have read this thread: 0