hazzard in early may- Mtbr.com
    wii!!!!!

hazzard in early may

I am looking to go as far as possible on the burro down -> hazzard -> kokopelli -> ups(?) -> lps -> porc -> down to town ride the first weekend of may.

Is it possible to ride hazzard county in early may? If so, is anything higher ( burro pass ) open at that time? I assume not, probablly still too much snow at that time?

also, I have been reading all sorts of things on mtbr about the legality of ups, and I am still not sure what the deal is. My understanding is that is was not legal, but was going to be rerouted to made legal, has that happened?

So in early may, what is highest on this ride I can start?

Thanks everyone
    something funny

Only Democrat in Utah
    Feb 2004
    I'd give a call out to Poison Spider or Moab Cyclery.
    Flying by the seat of my pants.

UPS is not legal. Use the road.

Early May would seem unlikely, but this year if any would be the one. The snowpack is very thin. Ring Poison Spider and ask.

Andykiller

Too Early Perhaps

Well, until this last week, it was looking like Burrow may be possible. However, the weather is cold and it snowed on the mountain the last two nights. The south faces will melt fast with some warm temps, but Burro just may be too high up for early May. A lot of Burrow is on the north faces, so the snow will be sitting on it fairly late. It is definitely not possible now. If it gets real hot in the next couple of weeks you may be ok.

As for UPS, it is closed. Its too bad, but there are still some portions to ride on LPS.

chow

wii!!!!!
    Thanks for the info everyone, I will call poison spider about it ( maybe in a few weeks so they have a better idea).

Andy, If burro is snowed in, does that mean that hazzard county ( that starts at warner lake correct?) is also snowed in?

Thanks
    something funny

mtbr member
    I was told that the road was closed, via a locked gate, until the forest service opens it sometime in June. But then I was also told the UPS is open for business. So who hell knows?

Andykiller

Hazzard Snowed In?

Hazard is much lower than the Burro Pass Trail hence, probably rideable. After my last post, we got more snow and a lot of rain in the valley. The skiing crowd said that the powder was so deep that they had a hard time getting through the Northwoods. To ski this area, you start out at the Geyser Pass parking lot, the same one you would start Burro or Moonligh Meadow. Hence, a lot of snow is up there right now and would be impossible to ride.

Hazzard is probably muddy as of today and may have snow on it due to Hazzard being a North face trail. The snow has started to melt again and the white is creeping back up to the upper peaks. Hazzard starts up fairly high, but not too much higher than UPS. I saw tons of people coming off of Porcupine this weekend. My guess is Hazzard is a go, unless the rode is gated at this time. Check with Slickrock Cycles or Poison Spider for a better report. If the road is gated, park at the gate and ride your bike to the start of the trailhead.

Chow

Thread Terrorist
    I was in the area yesterday. Hazard has tons of snow all over it. Even Koko is muddy.

Members who have read this thread: 0