Has anyone ever rode/hiked from Rotary park to Rudys Flat- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Has anyone ever rode/hiked from Rotary park to Rudys Flat

According to Google earth Rudys flat (The top of Muller park trail in bountiful) and Rotary park( Top of City Creek) are only a mile apart. I have heard rumors of a trail that connects them that is not rideable but I was curious if anyone has even done it and knows how unrideable, I think it would be awesome to ride muller from the SLC side.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    According to Google earth Rudys flat (The top of Muller park trail in bountiful) and Rotary park( Top of City Creek) are only a mile apart. I have heard rumors of a trail that connects them that is not rideable but I was curious if anyone has even done it and knows how unrideable, I think it would be awesome to ride muller from the SLC side.
    I rode about 1/2 mile past the end of the road one time, before I learned that bikes aren't allowed up there off of the pavement. It was double-trackish.

But I agree, I have no doubt at all that there must be a trail of SOME sort...

mtbr member
    That trail is "officially" closed to bikes. I doubt anybody would catch you, or even see you though. I've hiked up a little ways several years ago...Seemed like it would be ok then. If you do it, I'd like to hear about it.

edit: The trail connects before the top of City Creek. Just past the first Rock "gate", there is a picnic area called North fork (I think). Trail heads north from there on the east side of the north fork creek.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It's not rideable. It's pretty overgrown and steep. As for it not being open to bikes, nobody is going to 'catch' you if you try to take a bike on it.

mtbr member

Rudy's flat connectors

There's a trail that goes south off the top of Rudy's Flat (pretty sure that's where it was) it looks perfectly rideable from that side. I went up a couple hundred yards and it was pretty fun. Anyone know for sure where that goes? There's also the trail that goes more west and apparently comes out by the quarry, I hear it's pretty rough, but wonder if it would be a cool downhill run.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You might be talking about the North Canyon trail

it heads downhill in a west direction from rudys flat and hits some surface streets in bountiful about a mile from muller park. I was looking over google earth some more and it looks like there might be trails/ roads that run from the radio towers above city creek toward rudys flat. I am thinking this looks like the easiest way to connect them. (Shoreline and Muller park) I am going to ride up there this weekend and how close I can get. I will try to post a google earth screen shot showing the Route for any that are interested.

PM me

mtbr member
    I tried that last year, starting from City Creek, past the radio towers. I think I was close to Rudy's but it was about 95 that day and I turned around. It is steep loose double track, probably better to start from the top.
    I have a few ideas I will check out this weekend and report back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was looking over google earth some more and it looks like there might be trails/ roads that run from the radio towers above city creek toward rudys flat. .
    Let me know how this goes. It really is sad these trails don't connect.

mtbr member
    So... I connected Rudy's Flat to City Creek yesterday via the radio towers, starting from Rudy's.
    It is not recomended. The first 2-3 miles are hike-a-bike, bush-wacking and difficult route finding. The area does have potential, but it would be a pain to haul tools up there from either end.
    I did learn that I can jump really high for my age, when I almost stepped on a rattle snake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Happen to have GPS of where you went??

I have been riding and mapping the roads in the area and would like to see where you went.

PM me

mtbr member
    Sorry no GPS, I ment to bring my camera with me, but forgot.
    If you start down North Canyon from Rudy's, after 3/10 of a mile there is a steep climb to the left, this is where I started. From the top of that short climb head in a SW direction staying on or close to the ridge top, eventually you will hit double track that takes you down to the towers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have been riding and mapping the roads in the area and would like to see where you went.
    30 or 40 years ago my older brother saw a jeep at Rudys, there used to be a road up there but it has since become overgrown.
    There used to be jeep roads all over the foothills above Bountiful but home construction in the last 30 years has taken most of them out.

SFJ
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There is an overgrown trail connecting Lower Rotary in City Creek to Rudy's Flat. Slightly difficult to find and stay on the upper part. I biked up City Creek to Lower Rotary and ran up and down the trail about a year ago. It is very overgrown in many places. You could get a bike down it, you would be off your bike for a good part of it, and in IMHO there's a good chance you wouldn't want to do it again.
    It would not take a lot of trail work to revive it, but my understanding is City regs/rules prohibit riding there.

Members who have read this thread: 0