Hardtail??- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hardtail??

mtbr member

Hardtail??

Is a FS really needed for all the riding in Utah? Making a trip out in May with my hard tail and may rent FS as needed. Was hoping to have a FS by the time of my trip, but due to scheduling frame not available...so left with hardtail only.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    On my 1st trip to Moab I had a hardtail with a left on it. Road Moab, Park City, and Brian Head, had a blast. If any thing, you can rent an nice fully in Moab for the day.

mmm bacon

i LIKE IT

I have ridden a hardtail in Utah for a while ( I got here in 98) my FS bike is for downhill/resort/shuttle only actually I use my hardtail there too more often than not. I have never really had a problem, some areas are a bit more technical but that's why when I was building a new bike I stil chose a hardtail. Where do you anticipate riding, you didn't say. Here's a shameless plug if you want to rent a bike talk to the guys at go-ride.com I think they have Foes, Turner, Yeti, and Commencal available for rental, it's 75.00 a day but I believe that they refund your rental fees if you buy.

mtbr member
    Unsure where the rides will be yet. The person I am meeting out there has made the trip many times and I am sure he has a game plan...I am sure Porc rim, slick rock, and maybe Amasa back trail will be on the list. Sounds like we are spending a couple of days riding in Fruita also.

Ridin in UT
    Stick with your hardtail in Fruita for the fast flowy buff singletrack, but I'd rent a full sus in Moab if you're riding Porcupine Rim and others similar. There are several shops in Moab that rent by the day. The Salt Lake area will be fine on a hardtail too. There's not a ton of real technical stuff, especially that's open in May.

Have fun out here!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My last three trips to Moab were on a hardtail. You can do just fine. I've done Slickrock, Porcupine, Poison Spider, etc. on a hardtail. After Porcupine though my arms were really feelin' it.

mtbr member
    I rode my hard tail 6 days straight...2 in Fruita and 4 in Moab....had no problems at all....only thing I fond really tough was the few hundred foot cliff right noext to the trail...sucks being someone not fond on heights...had a blast though. Feel soory for the poor kid from NJ on the FS ride that he rented...he seemed to be walking a lot pf proc rim and that was after he said he felt sorry for me on the hard tail....I will say the 29" tires helped out a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 0