H.R.1925 Ban off-highway access (yes mtn bikes)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

H.R.1925 Ban off-highway access (yes mtn bikes)

Hey all,
    I'm a California kid with dreams of taking my Jeep and my mountain bikes to Moab, so I'm hoping this isn't a real threat to my plans.

Where should these sorts of allerts be posted?

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/al...ertid=14061961

The Chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing on October 1 to consider H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. This legislation -- which will ban off-highway vehicle (OHV) access to public lands to those who live and recreate in Utah -- was introduced by New York Representative Maurice Hinchey. To read his press release on H.R. 1925, click here.

However, not a single Representative from Utah is supporting H.R. 1925.

Specifically, H.R. 1925 would designate more than nine million more acres as federally protected "Wilderness," and directly affect the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock areas (to name a few) in Utah. These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in Utah, and are some of the most popular with responsible OHV riders. The proposed Wilderness designation would also make the land off limits to ATV riders, mountain bikers and horseback riders.

Coming on the heels of the recently enacted Omnibus Public Land Management Act, which closed 2 million acres of public lands, this vast Wilderness bill will take away additional recreation opportunities currently enjoyed by local residents and visitors alike.

The AMA needs your help now to stop H.R. 1925. The fastest way to reach your U.S. Representative is to call them. You can find contact information for your elected officials by entering your zip code on AmericanMotorcyclist.com, clicking on "Rights," then "Issues and Legislation." Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your Representative immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

Please contact your Representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 1925.

Talentless Hack
    Look down the thread list, we are already on top of this. It will never pass.
    Sierra Club Sucks

NOT Team Sanchez
    Why does some punk in NY (no offense NY'ers) think he knows what we should do with public land two thousand miles away in Utah...........politicians are getting more absurd and powerful by the minute, scary if you ask me.
    I like bikes.

Talentless Hack

SUWA is scary and has to...

Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Why does some punk in NY (no offense NY'ers) think he knows what we should do with public land two thousand miles away in Utah...........politicians are getting more absurd and powerful by the minute, scary if you ask me.
    get NY'ers to sponsor legislation because no Utah congresman will. SUWA is a corrupt organization which needs to pass legislation to keep people donating money to it. If you want to read how not to run an organization read about SUWA. Several past officers convited of fraud and other crimes.
    Sierra Club Sucks

NMBP
    I hate to see mountain bike trails lost, that will really suck. But if you think the Utah legislators are going to be looking out for Utah mountain bike trails, you are very mistaken. It would be very hard to assemble a larger bunch of ignorant, self serving morons.

Oct 2008
    But they should be concerned about the economy of the area. The sheer volume of tourist income that would be lost should make them sit up and take notice. This is a BIG deal, and needs to be stopped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnbikeboy79
    But they should be concerned about the economy of the area. The sheer volume of tourist income that would be lost should make them sit up and take notice. This is a BIG deal, and needs to be stopped.
    That was my view. I was concerned, because I plan to visit the sping of 2011 for Jeeping and mountain biking. Yes, I have to plan that far in advance for a road trip of more than 2000 miles with my family. It is a lot of money to spend. If they close the Moab trails, I'll spend that money somewhere else like Hawaii or Europe. I have always wanted to ride Moab in my Jeep, so that would be a real let down for me.

NOT Team Sanchez

ditto that

Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Boy 1
    get NY'ers to sponsor legislation because no Utah congresman will. SUWA is a corrupt organization which needs to pass legislation to keep people donating money to it. If you want to read how not to run an organization read about SUWA. Several past officers convited of fraud and other crimes.
    I did a report on the land use conflicts in se utah and I learned to really dislike SUWA for their hypocritical ideas........essentially they'd like to have it all to themselves, really.
    I like bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0