GWT Bountiful/Sessions to Big Mountain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

GWT Bountiful/Sessions to Big Mountain

Have any of you ridden Great Western from the end of Skyline Drive above Bountiful to Big Mountain Pass? I want to ride it as soon as the snow melts. I don't think it gets much traffic so I'm wondering if the trail is hard to follow in certain areas.

TIA for any info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Haven't rode past the left turn for the brink loop. Probably best if you try the next few weeks, bit of snow is better then green explosion of weed and scrub oak.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    You can't get lost, real easy to follow the trail. At least two more weeks before it's worth attempting it. Wear pants, the sage brush will slice up your legs. Plan on walking a few sections.
    With some trail maintenance and building a few bypasses around the unrideable sections, this would be one of the best rides around, very comparable to Crest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It would be cool if the Wasatch 100 colaberated with mtb. Runners do a bunch of trail maintenance for the race. Why not kill the Park City point to point and get off the ski resorts? Keep it about the same, no PC bulldozer chill crap, just trim the bush. Nothing wrong with hike a bike. Win/Win, the trails are to much of a grunt ride to ever become crowded or overused.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I rode it last weekend. The gate at Sessions is still closed for some reason so there was an additional 5 miles of dirt road to ride. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would.

It is a great ride, with quite a bit of hike-a-bike. The few miles directly east of Grandview is very brushy and difficult to see the trail at times.

Quote Originally Posted by keneticsam View Post
    You can't get lost, real easy to follow the trail. At least two more weeks before it's worth attempting it. Wear pants, the sage brush will slice up your legs. Plan on walking a few sections.
    With some trail maintenance and building a few bypasses around the unrideable sections, this would be one of the best rides around, very comparable to Crest.
    I completely agree. With some trail maintenance to clean out the brush and a few re-routes for more biking/less hiking, this trail could rival crest.

It's probably been decades since the Forest Service has done any sort of real maintenance up there which is a shame. It could be a lot more user friendly. The beginning/end make for a loooooooong shuttle trip but worth doing once a year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The weed and grass factor is somthing to consider. Not the same trail but the Brink is buff after the snow clears. That ride is already about a month past it's prime. A lot of the green will start to turn brown shortly and that can be a good thing.

mtbr member
    I thought that section was wilderness area?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    The weed and grass factor is somthing to consider. Not the same trail but the Brink is buff after the snow clears. That ride is already about a month past it's prime. A lot of the green will start to turn brown shortly and that can be a good thing.
    Is the Brink the trail that goes towards Lookout Peak and joins GWT?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by supersize View Post
    I thought that section was wilderness area?
    It isn't a Wilderness Area. As far as I know the nearest WA is Mt Olympus.

mtbr member
    Oh, good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
    Is the Brink the trail that goes towards Lookout Peak and joins GWT?
    Guess the true brink is done as loop from SLC. The part that goes towards lookout contains the woods of despair and ends up at the intersection to drop you off at the trail to little mountain pass (true brink back to SLC) or Right=killions, left Aflack.

Frame Building Moderator
    THere's the Natural Study Area or whatever it's called in Red Butte. But that doesn't extend up too far. No other wilderness, just lots of random game trails, neglect... and potential.

With some love the GWT would be amazing. It's not bad in parts as it is.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    In my eye the the threshold of danger would be to drop killions and then climb to to blue gate to ridge and drop freeze creek.Then pink garage to beer can alley. Probably bail at Muller just above Ruth's diner unless you are feeling bold and find Satan's chainsaw trail to above rattlesnake hollow and then to Wagner springs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Probably best to try that in late April with a fat bike. It's quite amazing ridding before the green kick in. When everyone is twating about corner canyon or PC trails being ready is the time to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    In my eye the the threshold of danger would be to drop killions and then climb to to blue gate to ridge and drop freeze creek.Then pink garage to beer can alley. Probably bail at Muller just above Ruth's diner unless you are feeling bold and find Satan's chainsaw trail to above rattlesnake hollow and then to Wagner springs.
    I have no idea where any of those trails are except for Killions. And Ruth's Diner. Are there any maps available? The maps I have don't show anything beside Killions and the trial to Lookout Peak to GWT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
    I have no idea where any of those trails are except for Killions. And Ruth's Diner. Are there any maps available? The maps I have don't show anything beside Killions and the trial to Lookout Peak to GWT.
    Freeze creek is on the map. Old forest service maps have some trails but for the most part its satellite image and old school exploring.
    Not having a map is part of it. Damn app maps are overpopulating some trails and killing the others because everyone just looks at the phone.
    Honestly if you don't like back country or adventure riding the area is mostly potential and solitude in lose proximity to a zoo.
    Last edited by Turd; 06-27-2016 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I slack the last three weeks. Is weed turning broen, like brick weed up high? FYI Pink is brick weed visible and all available for knock down and hitchhiking gathering.