Guide for Moab- Mtbr.com

Thread: Guide for Moab

Oct 2004

Guide for Moab

I'll be on vacation in Moab and Fruita 4/22 through 4/30. Can anyone recogmend a good guide book for the area? I'll be at the Festival in Fruita so that's not too much of a problem but I need Moab info. I know some of the trails I want to ride but don't know where to park or how to get there. I'll be camping. Can I camp on the trail or do I have to stay at a camp ground? I'll be driving a little front wheel drive car so off-road is pretty much off-limits for the car. How well are the trails marked in the area? I figure the Jeep trails should be easy to follow. Thanks for any and all ideas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Rider Mel's Mountain Bike Buide to Moab may work for you

It's a nice book that describes the trails and how to get to them. It's informative and fun to read.

As for camping I have never camped in Moab so I can't help you too much. I don't think you will be able to camp on the trails but there are lots of camping options available.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Moab:
    Here's the BLM Moab link that tells you where you can camp
    https://www.blm.gov/utah/moab/rec-frame.html

Lots of folk camp at the Sand Flat Recreation Area (Moab) where you can ride to the Slickrock and Porcupine trails from your site.
    https://www.discovermoab.com/sandflats.htm

Fruita:
    We camped at the State Park just across the highway (nice showers) and in the Book Cliffs area (pit toilet and fire pan required).

The Fruita Fat Tire 2004 guide (there may be a newer one out) is great.

Oct 2004
    Thanks for all the info. The Sandflats camp ground looks great. Does anyone have (or a place to find) GPS coordinates for the trails in Moab and Fruita? I'm leaving in less than a week and don't think I have time to order a book now. I'll look for one when I get to town.

Members who have read this thread: 0