Guide for Gooseberry?- Mtbr.com
    rider
    Jan 2005

Guide for Gooseberry?

I have heard a few times that hiring a guide at the Goose is a good idea for those who have not ridden there before. There is supposed to be a bunch of really good riding that is not really obvious to the new to the area rider armed with just a trail map....

Opinions? If yes, some suggestions about who to hire and ideas as to what the cost might run would be nice.

I'm going to be hitting SW Utah Saturday or Sunday for a week or two. I'm the guy that Shiggy is meeting up with. I'm from Norcal, ride Downieville and Tahoe a bunch and love technical riding. What I like the best is a trail that combines great flow with some solid tech moves. Given the above, what would be my must do rides?

In exchange, I'd like to extend the offer to show you folks around my area sometime.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

RHRF!

Not directly experienced with these guys...

...but I've heard good things about them. - Mountain Bike Buddies
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't think a guide is really needed for Gooseberry, as the trails are pretty well marked and equally fun. Most people ride it as a loop - start on south rim out to point, including an out & back on hidden canyon, and return on yellow/north rim/bowls & ledges/practice loop/white trails. Then, ride it in reverse for a really long day.

You might want company when you ride at Little Creek, though. I would check with Over the Edge in Hurricane, as they often do their Saturday shop ride there. You could easily hit most of the trails around St George in a week.

I'd rather be biking...

Ive also heard good things about mountain bike buddies. Gooseberry is well marked and can be ridden a handful of different ways. We've always hopped right on the south rim from the parking lot all the way to the point and rode yellow, then North then bowls and ledges and finish on practice. Sometime we add hidden canyon out and back, but the possibilities are endless. There are no backwards ways to ride
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    I have heard a few times that hiring a guide at the Goose is a good idea for those who have not ridden there before. There is supposed to be a bunch of really good riding that is not really obvious to the new to the area rider armed with just a trail map....

Opinions? If yes, some suggestions about who to hire and ideas as to what the cost might run would be nice.

I'm going to be hitting SW Utah Saturday or Sunday for a week or two. I'm the guy that Shiggy is meeting up with. I'm from Norcal, ride Downieville and Tahoe a bunch and love technical riding. What I like the best is a trail that combines great flow with some solid tech moves. Given the above, what would be my must do rides?

In exchange, I'd like to extend the offer to show you folks around my area sometime.
    M-

I rode Gooseberry solo in '04 and had a blast. Never felt lost and was only confused a couple of times. This was just using the trailhead map. Should be a snap with a printed copy.

Would not object to having locals joining us, though!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I am in for a Saturday event. PM me with your details.

Driving through Las Vegas ATM. Next stop, Hurricane. Then to find at place to camp.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Driving through Las Vegas ATM. Next stop, Hurricane. Then to find at place to camp.
    Monday plans?

Really I am that slow

I'll be working mon/tues

but would be more then happy to show you guys around little creek, slickrock swamp, or gracamole....

swing by the Over the Edge shop i'll show yah trails and make yah a coffee

Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    Monday plans?
    I need to find a turn signal/headlight switch for my car so I can drive after dark. Otherwise I am open.

Currently sitting behind OTE in Hurricane and will camp on Gooseberry tonight.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I need to find a turn signal/headlight switch for my car so I can drive after dark. Otherwise I am open.

Currently sitting behind OTE in Hurricane and will camp on Gooseberry tonight.

It was cold out there saturday, think 25 degrees in the morning.

Cold mornings are OK.
    Sent you a PM. Looks like I do not have phone coverage here.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Mt Bike Buddies

I've used Mark at Mt Bike Buddies on several occasions. He is incredibly reasonable with what he charges, knows all the riding areas well and tells great stories. Give him a try.

I would agree that you do not need a guide for Goose but if you are doing Goose then Little Creek is icing on the cake and you should use a guide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you need a decent map check out the link in this thread:
    http://www.hazardassembly.com/forums...hread.php?t=26

I agree about not needing a map. The marked rides on the south side of the rim and Hidden Canyon are just awesome...
    Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbBLISS
    I've used Mark at Mt Bike Buddies on several occasions. He is incredibly reasonable with what he charges, knows all the riding areas well and tells great stories. Give him a try.

I would agree that you do not need a guide for Goose but if you are doing Goose then Little Creek is icing on the cake and you should use a guide.
    Little Creek is really fun. I rode it on Weds. with CantGetRight, Steve and SlowerThenSnot and returned on yesterday with 29erchico. WAY easy to get confused without a local. I did OK yesterday but finding the return out-and-back trail was a bit nerve wracking.

STS also took us on the JEM Loop and that is a not to be missed ride. I managed to flip off the trail on Hurricane Rim without too much damage to bike or body.

Kudos to the crew at Over the Edge. They have been more than helpful during my stay.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    What I like the best is a trail that combines great flow with some solid tech moves. Given the above, what would be my must do rides?
    Amen, brother. You've probably already come and gone, but if you're still in the St. George area and like techy flow, don't miss Zen and Barrels in the Green Valley area.

All the advice on Gooseberry and Little Creek given here is good..... and I agree that they are both "don't miss" good.

I might take you up on that some day.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

rider
    Jan 2005
    I'm still around, camping at the Goose. Anyone want to ride?

Thanks for all the good advice folks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    if you're still there, I might be up for a ride. I'll be getting into town tomorrow afternoon and will be there for the week. don't really have any definite plans so pm me if you're still there!

rider
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm heading out in the early AM. Make sure to hit Little Creek, I have been riding since '85 and am pretty certain that it is the most fun so far...

Happy trails!

Members who have read this thread: 0