Green Dot Trail in Moab??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Green Dot Trail in Moab??

Does anybody have any info. on a new trail in the works in Moab? I was down there this past weekend and we spoke with a group of riders on the Porc Rim trail that had ridden a trail the previous day that they were calling the "Green Dot Trail." They just called it that because somebody had marked the trail with green paint. They said it was new and incredible, but we didn't have enough time to get much info out of them as they were taking off from the lookout as we pulled up.

Anyway, supposedly it starts somewhere off the road to Dead Horse Point (possibly near the upper trailhead for Gemini Bridges......?). Has anybody heard of this?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    Does anybody have any info. on a new trail in the works in Moab? I was down there this past weekend and we spoke with a group of riders on the Porc Rim trail that had ridden a trail the previous day that they were calling the "Green Dot Trail." They just called it that because somebody had marked the trail with green paint. They said it was new and incredible, but we didn't have enough time to get much info out of them as they were taking off from the lookout as we pulled up.

Anyway, supposedly it starts somewhere off the road to Dead Horse Point (possibly near the upper trailhead for Gemini Bridges......?). Has anybody heard of this?
    neil;

I have not only heard of this trail, I hike it whenever I am in Moab. As the group on Porcupine Rim said the trail is incredible. It is like riding Goosberry Mesa for six miles downhill. Since it is not an approved trail I only hike it for fear of getting in trouble.

You can hike anywhere you want in Moab and it is a lot of fun. I am hoping to hike that new Dead Horse Point trail and see if I can hook it up with the upper section of the Green Dot that would definitely be INCREDIBLE. Remember to bring lots of water when hiking in areas you are not familiar with.

When this trail is finally approved it will bring thousands of new riders to Moab, it is that good. Many won't be happy though, so for the time being it is on an invitation only basis by people who don't want regular type folks to ride it.

We do have some really cool trails in Sedona that we could show you if you ever decide Moab is boring.

TD

mtbr member
    Boring? That's good Not if the yellow dot doens't get you first.

Ya know where some of the highest levels of uranium exposure can be had in Moab? Not in the mines, not at the tailings pond off the hwy, but right there at the top of the road out of Mineral Bottom. Presumably ore that fell off the trucks back in the 50s and then got worked into the roadbed. Good to know after doing White Rim in a day and stopping to linger at the top

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman

Ya know where some of the highest levels of uranium exposure can be had in Moab? Not in the mines, not at the tailings pond off the hwy, but right there at the top of the road out of Mineral Bottom. Presumably ore that fell off the trucks back in the 50s and then got worked into the roadbed. Good to know after doing White Rim in a day and stopping to linger at the top
    Rocky:

When do you think you are going back to Moab? Since you are always willing to share some good intel with regular folks I would like to share some of those Moab TOP SECRET hiking trails with you. I am concerned about getting too much radiation exposure myself and you probably know where all those hotspots are that should be avoided.

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    I have not only heard of this trail, I hike it whenever I am in Moab........so for the time being it is on an invitation only basis by people who don't want regular type folks to ride it.
    So how does one go about obtaining said "invitation?" For me this would work out perfectly as I will be down in Moab again in a few weeks with my wife (who doesn't ride). I've been trying to find some new hiking trails. Are there good views and it is a worthwhile hike? Also, any idea when/if this will open up?

We do have some really cool trails in Sedona that we could show you
    I can't imagine ever getting bored in Moab, but I have heard that Sedona is a pretty cool place to ride. If I ever get down that way I'll give you a shout.

Thanks,

-Neil-

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    So how does one go about obtaining said "invitation?" For me this would work out perfectly as I will be down in Moab again in a few weeks with my wife (who doesn't ride). I've been trying to find some new hiking trails. Are there good views and it is a worthwhile hike? Also, any idea when/if this will open up?-Neil-
    OK Neil this is the deal I will give you the intel to do this incredible trail only if you swear that you won't give up the goods to others who will be begging you for this TOP SECRET information. I always believe in PAY-IT-FORWARD, but in Moab there is a different mentality going on.

This last Spring one of the owners of the best bike shop in Moab was riding one of our TOP SECRET trails in Sedona, I know he wouldn't tell you where the Green Dot is, but he was able to get the intel here because we believe in sharing.

Enjoy the hike, the fantastic views and any romantic moments. Don't trip over the rock climbing anchors.

TD

mtbr member
    Still illegal and from what I hear the BLM is ticketing and chasing folks off the green dot trail. However, as we drove by the turn off to Gemini Bridges from the 313 (Road to Canyonlands/Dead Horse Point) last week there was a shuttle van just unloading a bunch of riders there and the guy was giving instructions/directions to the group. I don't think they were riding to Gemini Bridges.

You might check the shops. It sounds like it's ride at your own risk right now though.

I haven't ridden it, but FWIW, I've also heard it called the "Tampon Trail" by locals because it really kills the flow. .
    Last edited by KRob; 04-27-2009 at 07:54 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Still illegal and from what I hear the BLM is ticketing and chasing folks off the green dot trail. However, as we drove by the turn off to Gemini Bridges from the 3i3 (Road to Canyonlands/Dead Horse Point) last week there was a shuttle van from Uranium Cycles just unloading a bunch of riders there and the guy was giving instructions/directions to the group. I don't think they were riding to Gemini Bridges.

You might check there. It sounds like it's ride at you're own risk right now though.

FWIW, I've also heard it called the "Incredible Trail" by locals because it really has great flow. I haven't ridden it so I am not sure about the flow factor.
    K:

Great post, nice that some people get the facts straight.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 04-23-2009 at 03:13 PM.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

traildoc -

You memorialized his post by quoting it. Even if he edits his post, you will need to edit your post as well to remove his quote. You probably knew that, but just sayin.....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    traildoc -

You memorialized his post by quoting it. Even if he edits his post, you will need to edit your post as well to remove his quote. You probably knew that, but just sayin.....
    dr:

As academically challenged, as I am I did realize that I will have to edit my post and I will be happy to do so when and if we get the corrections. FS and Flow give me a break. In all my hiking out there I have never seen a Forest Service vehicle, why would they be out there? Tampon Trail I don't get the analogy, please explain a little better.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    dr:

As academically challenged, as I am I did realize that I will have to edit my post and I will be happy to do so when and if we get the corrections. FS and Flow give me a break. In all my hiking out there I have never seen a Forest Service vehicle, why would they be out there? Tampon Trail I don't get the analogy, please explain a little better.
    The BLM rangers are up that way regularly. It is very much is ride at your own risk trail.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    The BLM rangers are up that way regularly. It is very much is ride at your own risk trail.
    Sean:

Thanks for the clarification. I know from your website that you spend a lot of time out in that area. I enjoyed you sharing your B Dot experience and I hope to try it out when they get it into the system. Is the trail totally rideable or are there a number of hike-a-bike sections?

TD

mtbr member
    K:

There are several things you have stated that are incorrect. How about editing your post to get your facts straight.

TD
    Uh... I think pretty much everything I stated is correct, my opinion, or what I heard first hand.

AFAIK, and I think you stated this yourself, Green dot is not a legal trail for mountain bikes as of yet.

Two locals told me personal, firsthand accounts of BLM/FS personell ticketing or trying to impound people's bikes in that area.

As far as seeing a van load of bikers being dropped off at the turn off.....I can only state what I saw. Don't know where they were going.... but I have my suspicions.

I talked to two locals who called Green Dot the Tampon Trail. Tampon = stops the flow = not a very flowy trail = lots of starts and stops I gather. Just speculating here but it seems to be a pretty obvious analogy.

I haven't ridden it = fact.

Edit: I do have one correction that needs to be made: The highway I referenced is 313 not 301.

Edit: Made one more small change.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-23-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Uh... I think pretty much everything I stated is correct, my opinion, or what I heard first hand.

AFAIK, and I think you stated this yourself, Green dot is not a legal trail for mountain bikes as of yet.

Two locals told me personal, firsthand accounts of BLM/FS personell ticketing or trying to impound people's bikes in that area.

As far as seeing a van load of bikers being dropped off at the turn off.....I can only state what I saw. Don't know where they were going.... but I have my suspicions.

I talked to two locals who called Green Dot the Tampon Trail. Tampon = stops the flow = not a very flowy trail = lots of starts and stops I gather. Just speculating here but it seems to be a pretty obvious analogy.

I haven't ridden it = fact.

Edit: I do have one correction that needs to be made: The highway I referenced is 313 not 301.

Edit: Made one more small change.
    We will see what Neil has to say after he hikes it with his wife.

TD

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Great XC type downhill, can be fast with lots of flow. Did I mention a **** load of exposure!!!!!!! Some of the best views Moab has to offer. Difficult to find and equally difficult to follow. New gate (fence) installed at trail-head. Ride at your own risk if you can find. New signs everywhere warning riders of closure.... trail closed! Be warned the FS is looking to bust a few riders, you could be an example.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    Great XC type downhill, can be fast with lots of flow. Did I mention a **** load of exposure!!!!!!! Some of the best views Moab has to offer. Difficult to find and equally difficult to follow (when in doubt stay right). New gate (fence) installed at trail-head. Ride at your own risk if you can find. New signs everywhere warning riders of closure.... trail closed! Be warned the BLM is looking to bust a few riders, you could be an example.
    Fly:

Where did all the Green Dots go? When I hiked it last Fall there were still lots of dots showing the way to an incredible hike. It isnt illegal to hike is it? Don't the Boy Scouts hike out there?

Do you feel dirty after you ride it, like you have commited a mortal sin? Do you think it will be just as cool a ride a 1,000 years from now, as it was the last time you rode it, or will it be an erosion nighmare?

TD

mtbr member
    Where did all the Green Dots go? When I hiked it last Fall there were still lots of dots showing the way to an incredible hike.
    This also interests me. I assume without many green dots the trail would be quite hard to follow.....?

It isnt illegal to hike is it? Don't the Boy Scouts hike out there?
    Again, I'm interested in hearing about this aspect of it. Is this BLM land or does it cross onto private property? If it is BLM land, then there shouldn't be an issue with hiking the trail.

banned
    This trail is so easy to follow because of one MAJOR FEATURE that you will realize when you get out there. There is exposure for a reason.

{QUOTE=neilether] Again, I'm interested in hearing about this aspect of it. Is this BLM land or does it cross onto private property? If it is BLM land, then there shouldn't be an issue with hiking the trail.[/quote]

It certainly is on BLM land so there is no reason that it can't be hiked. The Boy Scouts are initiated into the world of rappelling out there so I can't imagine the BLM arresting a bunch of future rock climbers.

Hopefully we will here back from fly with additional Intel. Curious what he thinks about the sustainability of the trail.
    Last edited by traildoc; 04-24-2009 at 02:19 PM.

should know better.....
    OT.... Hey traildoc, I need to PM you, but yer box is full..... I have Sedona Q's for you... Email or pm me if would be so kind. Thanx.

mtbr member
    Rocky:

When do you think you are going back to Moab? Since you are always willing to share some good intel with regular folks I would like to share some of those Moab TOP SECRET hiking trails with you. I am concerned about getting too much radiation exposure myself and you probably know where all those hotspots are that should be avoided.

TD
    doc, I don't know when but someday. There's too much good riding in Sedona

Not to hyjack the thread, but to answer your question the radiation danger is not that big a deal. I certainly wouldn't worry about it while mountain biking, and I wouldn't pitch my tent in the mouth of a mine, or go licking any rocks in that area. The hot spots, from what little work I did and info from a geologist that was doing uranium prospecting in Moab last year, are always in and around the mines (like the tailings piles). However, the radiation levels are still relatively low or obviously the ore would been taken to the plant to process.

The road at the top of Mineral Bottom is weird. The highest readings from the scintillometer when I was doing work there last spring. But still, not high enough to be a problem. I wouldn't build a house on top of it though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There are a few patches of sand, but for the most part the trail is rock. Therefore the long-term health of the trail is dependent on the expected life of sandstone. I will also point out that if one doesn't follow the dots then you could do some damage as there is lots of sand with vegetation boarding the trail. Dots are there but sometimes the (fast) flow will send you strait when you actually need to turn right... When the trail is finally opened: better marking should be a propriety, just to keep peeps on track and away from sensitive vegetation.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    There are a few patches of sand, but for the most part the trail is rock. Therefore the long-term health of the trail is dependent on the expected life of sandstone. I will also point out that if one doesn't follow the dots then you could do some damage as there is lots of sand with vegetation boarding the trail. Dots are there but sometimes the (fast) flow will send you strait when you actually need to turn right... When the trail is finally opened: better marking should be a propriety, just to keep peeps on track and away from sensitive vegetation.
    Fly:

Thanks for that clarification about the trail being basically sandstone; so IMHO it's not going to wear out any faster then the Slickrock trail. That being said, when and if the trail is opened for mountain biking it will be enjoyed by future generations for thousands of years.

In the meantime energetic hikers can go out and take a look at what their future family members might be riding after they have had their ashes spread at some of the exceptionally scenic spots along the route. I know I have several ounces of ashes earmarked for that trail as well as many others in the US and Canada.

Maybe Neil can get some pictures of those spots when he hikes it with his wife.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 04-24-2009 at 09:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman

No worries....it's just ore. Now, if you start eating the dirt around there..... for a few years you may have some indegestion issues. No big issue with the tailings pile either.... more of a radium issue anyway.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

mtbr member
    Sean:

Thanks for the clarification. I know from your website that you spend a lot of time out in that area. I enjoyed you sharing your B Dot experience and I hope to try it out when they get it into the system. Is the trail totally rideable or are there a number of hike-a-bike sections?

TD
    Unless the BLM is keeping it a secret the B Dot will not get into the system, so I am told by the BLM.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crager34
    Unless the BLM is keeping it a secret the B Dot will not get into the system, so I am told by the BLM.
    34:

I don't think it matters if the B Dot gets into the system. If a trail is so incredibly better than a torn up jeep road, the BLM will turn a blind eye to its non-system status to keep the users happy, so they will keep coming back to Moab.

One of the main objectives of the BLM is to provide quality recreation opprotunites to many user groups when the enviroment isn't compromised. If they can't adopt a trail due to radical enviromentalist lobbying against it they will just continue with more important priorities.

Members who have read this thread: 1