Green Dot / Blue Dot?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Green Dot / Blue Dot?

Anybody got the scoop? Location; directions; map link? Just looking for somethin we haven't ridden a 100 times before in the Moab area.
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

mtbr member
    The Blue Dot is one that I haven't done yet, but would like to. I understand it's along the Gold Bar Rim (associated with the same 4x4 trail) and can be accessed from either Poison Spider or the end of Gold Bar via Gemini Bridges off of 191. I have seen a couple pics and noticed the blue dots, but again.. not sure of the exact route.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by breckseth
    Anybody got the scoop? Location; directions; map link? Just looking for somethin we haven't ridden a 100 times before in the Moab area.
    Try the Moab information center. The last time I was there they had brochures on both trails.

Doc
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    So, I took a drive and did Gold Bar Rim yesterday and then found what I think is the start (on that end) of the Blue Dot Trail. Then I Mt. Biked most of it to get an idea of where it is. So, hope on your bike and head to the top of this 4x4 trail - follow the three white bars till they circle round at the top of the rim. Then simply head South along the rim and look for the VERY faded Blue Dots, Multiple Cairns (help stack them when you can), and the well travelled Mt. Bike tracks. If you think your off trail, just stay a bit high and keep looking ahead, as you will eventually find it again. This trail, according to what I rode, is hard to follow at times and uses the Golden Spike 4x4 trail a few times.

This is a very cool route.

mtbr member
    I was told by the BLM that this is not a legal trail, as it closely parallels the Golden Spike Wheeling Trail and is therefore sufficient. It will not be developed further.

This means there will be no more blue dots painted for this trail and I would hope that nobody does paint anything. HOWEVER…. If riders would be conscious about this issue for everyone, then I suggest the building and maintaining of Cairns along the route. I stacked and re-stacked a few when I was up there, so COME ON… everyone pitch in a bit. This really is a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Ummm..... Errrr.... Uhhh................................. Nevermind. Too many things to correct.

Check your pm's breckseth.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crager34
    I was told by the BLM that this is not a legal trail, as it closely parallels the Golden Spike Wheeling Trail and is therefore sufficient. It will not be developed further.

This means there will be no more blue dots painted for this trail and I would hope that nobody does paint anything. HOWEVER…. If riders would be conscious about this issue for everyone, then I suggest the building and maintaining of Cairns along the route. I stacked and re-stacked a few when I was up there, so COME ON… everyone pitch in a bit. This really is a fun ride.
    34:

Once again you correct. That being said I have a friend who lives in Moab that has been going out there for years and putting in some of those cairns. He indicates that a cairn in Moab has a very short life expectancy. Due to the elitist mentality many of those cairns are destroyed and converted to either gravel or sand.

As you know it is no easy task finding suitable material to build them.

Keep up the good work your efforts are appreciated.

I am curious if you make the world class uphill climb about 7/8 through the ride w/o dabbing?

There is a 30-yard slickrock section of trail that you ride down before you get to the climb.
    At the bottom of the drop the trail cuts left then right for about 20'. After riding the 20' you go up and over a small hump where you have to turn left. At this point you start about a 10 degree climb on another patch of slickrock about 5' wide. You ride on the slickrock pretty much straight ahead for about 40'. At this point the old trail turned right, but a newer section continues straight where it gets steeper and sandier.

From here you have to decide how determined you are to make the rest of the climb. You ride up from the old/new intersection about 30' and the trail turns to the left and levels out a little for about 10'. At this point the trail starts to turn right around a boulder and the challenge factor is increased dramatically. The trail gets steeper and narrows and there is a one-foot step that you have to get up and over. If you’re determined you can make it over the step if not you’re done for at this point.

If your determination gets you over the step then you have to dig deep down further to make the rest of the climb. Once over the step the trail narrows more and becomes littered with loose rocks that can derail your attempt to make the climb w/o dabbing. You have to ride about 30' though this narrow section before coming to a steep slickrock climb. When you make it to the slickrock you have about another 50' of climbing to make it to the top.

Making that climb clean is one of the highlights of riding the trail IMO.

mtbr member
    Doc;

Unfortunatly I have not seen that section, as it was my first time on the trail and I must have missed it, due to the amount of play area there is up there. I will be back though. Sounds like if you get on this climb, one will remember it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crager34
    Doc;

Unfortunatly I have not seen that section, as it was my first time on the trail and I must have missed it, due to the amount of play area there is up there. I will be back though. Sounds like if you get on this climb, one will remember it.
    34:

The spot I am talking about is about 250 yards ahead of these two pictures, if you don't stay high through this area you might miss it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0