Great Western Trailhead @ Big Mtn Pass- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Great Western Trailhead @ Big Mtn Pass

As you head northeast from the Little Dell Reservoir on 65, toward the East Canyon dirt road, there is a trailhead for The Great Western trail on the right side of the road. I'm guessing it heads roughly south from here....Is this ridable, or primarily a hiking trail?
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Depends on your riding ability and your lungs.

The GW heads South from the parking area at the top of Big Mountain. It's some fairly steep riding in some spots and quite loose and rocky in others. But if you don't mind the grunt/hike you'll be rewarded with an uncrowded trail full of great views and some fun single as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeboater
    As you head northeast from the Little Dell Reservoir on 65, toward the East Canyon dirt road, there is a trailhead for The Great Western trail on the right side of the road. I'm guessing it heads roughly south from here....Is this ridable, or primarily a hiking trail?
    agree with ucme4dk. its not the easiest trail in the wasatch, but well worth it. Tough and rewarding loop: start at mormon trail in east canyon, up to Big mountain pass, right on GWT, across to radio towers above parleys, down to Ron Jeremy ranch, back up the mormon trail to big mountain pass and then back down.

mtbr member
    I live in Jeremy ...I'll give it a try.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    agree with ucme4dk. its not the easiest trail in the wasatch, but well worth it. Tough and rewarding loop: start at mormon trail in east canyon, up to Big mountain pass, right on GWT, across to radio towers above parleys, down to Ron Jeremy ranch, back up the mormon trail to big mountain pass and then back down.
    Ron Jeremy ranch..awesome.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I live in Jeremy ...I'll give it a try.
    that's perfect then, just skip the "tail" in East canyon (down to little dell) cuts out some climbing (and a nice downhill too unfortunately) should be a great loop - start with the dirt road, end with the downhill.

mtbr member
    I finally got on a portion of this trail. Started down East Canyon near Jeremy Ranch at The Mormon Trail trailhead and rode up to Big Mtn Pass...about 4.5 miles and 1100 feet of climb. Nice trail, not too steep, 'till the last 100 yards, but with short rocky sections to provide some techy stuff. From the Big Mtn Pass parking lot, I rode up past the cell tower through a gate. About 200 feet in .2 miles. I put it at just over 19% grade, real grunt.

Unfortunately, my riding partner refused to continue...does that trail eventually head over to the Moose Hollow trail going past the towers near I-80?

Also, from the Big Mtn parking lot, across the street it looks like another trail heads north...ever try that direction?

I assume the trail head downhill from the parking lot heads down toward the golf coure on the interstate?
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    does that trail eventually head over to the Moose Hollow trail going past the towers near I-80?
    Yes. You reach a ridge and the trail turns east for just under a mile, leading to the towers and Main-gy Moose.

Also, from the Big Mtn parking lot, across the street it looks like another trail heads north...ever try that direction?
    That's more Great Western. It heads up into the hills and continues above East Canyon. It's pretty epic as well, but I haven't explored past the Lookout Peak trail. http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/lookoutpk.htm

I assume the trail head downhill from the parking lot heads down toward the golf coure on the interstate?
    Yeah, the Mormon Pioneer trail continues down the canyon to Little Del. It's definitely more heavily traveled than the east portion you rode. Makes a good non-challenging ride or links up some huge loops.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the details...I'm going to be exploring the area this fall, it appears. Someone also said there was some riding out by Strawberry Res.
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

Members who have read this thread: 0