Great new trails at Snow Basin- Mtbr.com

Oct 2005

Great new trails at Snow Basin

FYI to all fellow friendly MTBr's:

There is a great new network of trails cut in the area surrounding Snow Basin. I have seen very few riders up there and you are all missing out. I will share directions as best I can in hopes that that the MTB traffic picks up in the area.

While I cannot remember all the names of the trails up there I think I can give you a good start and it is fun to explore kinda like a mini Park City. My favorite route is an out and back that can be accessed from Ogden canyon. Just below Pineview resevoir is Wheeler Canyon. You can start at that trailhead and ride up to the parking lot on Snow Basin road which is a second way to access the network, but it is funner to take the Ice Box Canyon trail which you will see on your right I would guess about 1.5 miles (don't hold me to that) up.

Ice Box Canyon is a short but fun trail. While there are a couple of ultra steep walk a bike sections, don't let that discourage you, they are short. When you come up out of Ice Box you will hook up with newly cut singletrack which is a blast. Remember this spot for the return trip and go right to climb some of the best singletrack around. The key to this route is to always go right with the exception of one fork where you have to go left in order to stay off a section designated horses only. Keep climbing until you reach a fire road and go right again. (This fire road hooks up with the lodge if you go left and you can access the network that way as well. I think it is called the "Maples" trailhead).

Just about a quarter of a mile up the fireroad you will see a twisty singletrack to the right going through the meadow with some jumps. You can follow this short singletrack or just stay on the fire road until you get to the Cold Water Canyon/Ogden Overlook trailhead which is completely new and very very nice. This trail ends as you may expect at an overlook of Cold Water Canyon and the Ogden Valley. The views are awesome and the trip back down is fun, fun, fun. This is a 12 mile out and back which I would call intermediate to advanced. The most difficult part is Ice Box. Start at the lodge and just do the Cold Water section for an easier 6 mile jaunt. For a longer ride I would suggest that you pass the Ice Box Canyon trail on your descent and continue on until you reach the parking lot. The trail across the road will lead you to the Green Pond trail, which will lead you to the Lodge, and the fire road mentioned earlier. This also means you get to do this killer downhill section twice before finally going down Ice Box and Wheeler. If you add the Green Pond loop the total ride is about 27 miles. I would finally suggest that you do the Green Pond loop once before trying to combine the two because there are a few trails connecting to Green Pond and it is possible to get a bit lost before finding your way to the lodge.

Most of these trails are freshly cut and remarkably smooth, but that is already beginning to change because of equestrians who continue to ignore the clearly posted signs prohibiting the use of the trails when wet. In the past they have ruined the trails in the area leaving them full of large holes along with permanent mud/horseturd bogs. The entire area has been now been recut, repaired and expanded tremendously. I don't know who is doing the trail work up there, but they are to be commended. It is just too sweet to see it destroyed again.

While I realize that most equetrians obey the law, the few that don't have made it so miserable to ride these trails in the past that the net effect is that they have taken them over as horses only. A larger amount of MTB traffic will in fact balance equestrian traffic which will in turn allow these trails to remain intact in the beautiful condition they are in now. We need to make our presence known up there.

Try it, you'll like it........ Cheers.

The Sentinel

Uhm...they've been there for years

I agree with you that they are very fun trails, but they've been there for quite a few years. My son and I did a lot of trail work there when he was just a little boy, and he's almost 17 now. It is a great area, though, and I agree that those trails are amazing. It's nice to know some repair work is going on, because the horses can be pretty devastating to those trails. The trail from Ice Box up to the old Maples campground experienced a lot of runoff damage this winter and spring, so the repair work up there was sorely needed.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Trail map

The Snow Basin web site has a good trail map of all the upper trails and ranks them by difficulty.

Team Sanchez
    So I guess the next question is, can you ride the lifts up to the top of the mountain? Are there any technical downhill trails up there? I've ridden Wheeler in the past, and that was a fun XC trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

yes

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    So I guess the next question is, can you ride the lifts up to the top of the mountain? Are there any technical downhill trails up there? I've ridden Wheeler in the past, and that was a fun XC trail.

You can ride the lift, but I think it only runs on the weekends in the summer. The advantage is there is no crowd. The few times I have ridden up there it was week night after work and I didn't see anyone. The downhills aren't very technical (based on my limited experience), everything was doable without 8" travel bike. I haven't looked at there website lately, so I don't know if they still have the summer trail map online.

The Sentinel

Summer map is gone from the website...

...but there's a lovely copy of it on my organizer, here in my cubicle. I ride the lift at Snowbasin a lot. It is not technical at all, especially compared to Deer Valley, but I much prefer to ride Snowbasin. The trails are designed as XC trails, so they are smoother and have good flow. They are long and varied, and the crowds are much smaller. I have never stood in line at Snowbasin. The gondola ride up is nice, and very fast. Finally, the price is right...about half of what Deer Valley costs. The Forest Service trails in the area (OP's original post) are also outstanding, and connect into Snowbasin's trails at Green Pond and at the base (Earl's Lodge). I highly recommend the riding up there!
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

Members who have read this thread: 0