mtbr member

Grand View Trail (by Bryce Canyon)??

Whilst perusing Trailforks I notice some trails I had never seen before. They are in the Bryce Canyon area and are called Grand View and seem to be about 50 miles or point to point trail.

Grand View Mountain Bike Trail - Panguitch, Utah

Does anybody know anything about these trails? Would love to do trip that included all the THunder Mountain Stuff, Virgin River Rim Trail, and this Grand View stuff.

mtbr member
    Evdog is your huckleberry. His TR's are the bomb although I'm not sure he found the Grand View to be all that grand. At least not for a bike or rather it was not built with bikes in mind. Adventure biking at it's finest: http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/explorin...au-822022.html

Some of the pics are missing but also have a look at his thread here: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau

My 2 cents if you want a big ride in Bryce-like terrain would be to do a big loop in Red Canyon. Casto-Cassidy-hwy 12 path-Thunder Mountain. It's been awhile but I recall it being ~28 miles and 5 or 6 hours riding time. Maybe more with stops to let the scenery sink in. Cassidy is awesome backcountry trail butthere are a lot of tough little ups and downs that take some time and sap the energy.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the links rockman! I've wondered what is happening in that direction. Great adventure riding! Maybe the next time I drop T Mtn I'll make a left and ride out there a ways.

Trail designer Brittany Phelps is working with the BLM and FS on a hut system along MTB trails from Brian Head to Escalante. I'm not sure how much of the route has been defined yet but I've asked Brittany what the status is. She takes a while to respond sometimes. It may use T Mtn or those mysterious trails on the north side of Hay 12.

The last I heard the huts will be in shipping containers and moveable to satisfy some requirement or maybe escape a difficult permitting process. They won't look like containers much. They'll have attractive siding and roofs. A big advantage to containers is that bears can't rip through them.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Evdog is your huckleberry. His TR's are the bomb although I'm not sure he found the Grand View to be all that grand. At least not for a bike or rather it was not built with bikes in mind. Adventure biking at it's finest: http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/explorin...au-822022.html

Some of the pics are missing but also have a look at his thread here: Trip Report - Grandview Trail on Utah's Paunsaugunt Plateau

My 2 cents if you want a big ride in Bryce-like terrain would be to do a big loop in Red Canyon. Casto-Cassidy-hwy 12 path-Thunder Mountain. It's been awhile but I recall it being ~28 miles and 5 or 6 hours riding time. Maybe more with stops to let the scenery sink in. Cassidy is awesome backcountry trail butthere are a lot of tough little ups and downs that take some time and sap the energy.
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a good adventure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Thanks for the links rockman! I've wondered what is happening in that direction. Great adventure riding! Maybe the next time I drop T Mtn I'll make a left and ride out there a ways.

Trail designer Brittany Phelps is working with the BLM and FS on a hut system along MTB trails from Brian Head to Escalante. I'm not sure how much of the route has been defined yet but I've asked Brittany what the status is. She takes a while to respond sometimes. It may use T Mtn or those mysterious trails on the north side of Hay 12.

The last I heard the huts will be in shipping containers and moveable to satisfy some requirement or maybe escape a difficult permitting process. They won't look like containers much. They'll have attractive siding and roofs. A big advantage to containers is that bears can't rip through them.
    That would be cool. Kinda like the Tour De Frog (Brian Head to Bullfrog) that was promoted in the early 90s. It will be tough to create a route that doesn't use lots of roads but wouldn't it be cool to have a west-east trail like the Colorado Trail across the Markagunt, Paunsagunt, and Aquarius Plateaus!
    Last edited by rockman; 12-09-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Your Best Friend
    I've looked into riding that quite a few times. Thanks for the links.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Thanks for the plug Rockman! I'm gonna have to start paying you commissions if I can ever figure a way to profit from these TRs

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Does anybody know anything about these trails? Would love to do trip that included all the THunder Mountain Stuff, Virgin River Rim Trail, and this Grand View stuff.
    OP, if you want a trip to include those rides as well as Brian Head trails, check out the Dixie 200 route. It has all that, and more... Here is a TR from when I rode that TR: Bikepacking the Dixie 200

One of the linked threads includes a link to the Dixie 200 site that has a GPS track of the route. What is shown on Trailforks isn't the whole trail, it is actually around 80 or 85 miles and links in right at the bottom of Thunder Mountain. You can get a better map from Adventuremaps.net, order it or some REI's / outdoor shops have them https://www.adventuremaps.net/shop/p...rail-map-utah/.

Grandview is definitely an adventure. It is not heavily used and some sections are hard to follow or in bad shape. Some years there are tons of downed trees. On the plus side there seems to be decent water availability. I've ridden either 50 or 60 continuous miles of it. The eastern part I haven't done looks to be lower elevation and is probably sandy and overgrown. Some day I will get out and ride that too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Thanks for the plug Rockman! I'm gonna have to start paying you commissions if I can ever figure a way to profit from these TRs

OP, if you want a trip to include those rides as well as Brian Head trails, check out the Dixie 200 route. It has all that, and more... Here is a TR from when I rode that TR: Bikepacking the Dixie 200

One of the linked threads includes a link to the Dixie 200 site that has a GPS track of the route. What is shown on Trailforks isn't the whole trail, it is actually around 80 or 85 miles and links in right at the bottom of Thunder Mountain. You can get a better map from Adventuremaps.net, order it or some REI's / outdoor shops have them https://www.adventuremaps.net/shop/p...rail-map-utah/.

Grandview is definitely an adventure. It is not heavily used and some sections are hard to follow or in bad shape. Some years there are tons of downed trees. On the plus side there seems to be decent water availability. I've ridden either 50 or 60 continuous miles of it. The eastern part I haven't done looks to be lower elevation and is probably sandy and overgrown. Some day I will get out and ride that too.
    Thanks everyone. I have my core group excited for this adventure. Probably hit it sometime in May. PLanning on staying at the Podunk Guard Station and doing some point to point rides. We will have enough vehicles to set up shuttles. Should be interesting.

Thanks for the work on the write up. That alone sold all my guys on the proposal.

P.S. I pm'd you on the bikepacker forum. Feel free to ignore it. I don't really post there, just here.

mtbr member
    Given the elevations up to 9000ft, May might be pushing it. Parts of the trail might be fine snow wise given southern exposure, but you also risk having lots of downed trees. I heard there were lots for Dixie 200 this year, end of June. Post up in my thread about May conditions. DaveH is pretty knowledgeable about the area, I have only ridden Thunder Mtn in May. That trail is not good when wet, parts of Grandview would not be either.

mtbr member
    Given the elevations up to 9000ft, May might be pushing it. Parts of the trail might be fine snow wise given southern exposure, but you also risk having lots of downed trees. I heard there were lots for Dixie 200 this year, end of June. Post up in my thread about May conditions. DaveH is pretty knowledgeable about the area, I have only ridden Thunder Mtn in May. That trail is not good when wet, parts of Grandview would not be either.
    Good points. Thanks. Maybe we will consider a September trip instead.

mtbr member
    I will be mt biking this area June 2 and June 3, let me know if anyone wants to tag along...

mtbr member
    Let us know how conditions are if you go!

I ran into a thru hiker on the AZT 300 who had found my TR on bikepacking.net and it had given him enough info/confidence to hike Grandview around to Bryce. That was pretty cool!

Not sure why my MTBR trip report won't show the photos when BP.net does just fine. I've tried copying links and updating direct from photobucket and it doesn't work. Hmm.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Let us know how conditions are if you go!

I ran into a thru hiker on the AZT 300 who had found my TR on bikepacking.net and it had given him enough info/confidence to hike Grandview around to Bryce. That was pretty cool!

Not sure why my MTBR trip report won't show the photos when BP.net does just fine. I've tried copying links and updating direct from photobucket and it doesn't work. Hmm.....
    We rode Losee-Cassidy-Thunder mountain last weekend and conditions were perfect, just a little water in the Losee creek.

I've always been curious about the Grandview trail, would appreciate any updates about it.

mtbr member
    BUMP... will report back with photos... again it would be nice to have a riding parnter/s... I will also be in Moab 5/31 and 6/1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    BUMP... will report back with photos... again it would be nice to have a riding parnter/s... I will also be in Moab 5/31 and 6/1
    Alas, I won't be able to join you, but I will be very interested to hear your report.

mtbr member
    Some nice Grandview footage in this vid.https://www.outsideonline.com/218174...%20this%20film

mtbr member
    I saw that. I've been wondering why they didn't just do the Dixie 200 route. Too much work?

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I'll be staying in Bryce Canyon Pines campground over Memorial Day weekend, and was looking at riding either Thunder Mountain, or Grandview. I only have a little time to sneak in rides, early in the morning. Which trail would ya'll recommend? I'm leaning towards Thunder Mountain, but I'm curious on the opinions here.

frog

mtbr member
    If you've never ridden in the area before, ride Thunder Mtn for sure. It's a 2-4 hour ride depending on fitness, break times, and photo whoring. This is a bucket list ride for almost everyone.

Grandview is a whole different type of ride. It has some great views but is a tough backcountry, Type 2 fun sort of ride that sees little use, may have tons of downed trees, require hike a bike, and can be in poor shape in places. There are few options for short rides because it circles around the outside of the plateau, so you either have to loop it with long sections of road to close the loop, or have vehicles for a point to point shuttle. It is worth checking out if you have the time and like that sort of riding, but I think its the style of trail a lot of people won't enjoy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    I only have a little time to sneak in rides, early in the morning. Which trail would ya'll recommend? I'm leaning towards Thunder Mountain, but I'm curious on the opinions here.
    frog
    Stick with the known quantity. You can make a lap on Thunder Mountain with the paved pathway in 2 hours. The next day make a loop with Cassidy and Losee. Losee is a pretty fun pedally downhill if it hasn't been chewed up too much by horses. My 2 cents. Grandview is adventure/exploration riding if you haven't read the earlier posts.

edit to add: LOL, Evdog beat me to the reply

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have ridden all of Grandview multiple times. It is wilderness and stunningly beautiful. The entire trail is 125 miles in the middle of nowhere, so yes, there are going to be some maintenance issues. The trail is so wild that it is often scored and rough from Moose and Elk being the only users. It is not for the timid or the standard trail bike. It is loose and steep and tough. Totally doable though. Plus bikes or fat bikes and really really tall gears are a must out there. There are plenty of small loops that can be put together. Down Millcreek to Crawford's Pass is a great little run. Robinson to Crawford is great too but a full 10 hour day. The roads to close the loops aren't much worse that road to close Thunder Mtn. The possibilities for smaller loops are vast. The mapping on trailforks is a godsend. Navigation was the hardest part. I totally agree that the trail itself is adventure riding not skinny flowy singletrack. Old school mountain biking. That said, it is also quiet and expansive and a great experience. Bikepacking is the best way to see it. The east side of the trail previously referenced is actually in great shape as of last fall. Sadly, ATVs (the lowest common denominator) have gotten to the first part of it. This is why I encourage people to ride out there because the trail needs bikers to claim the trail and make it their own. I needs to have a defined singletrack line worn into the trail and an agreement with the Forest Service to maintain it with bikes or ebikes. With a little polish, the trail could become one of the great jewels of the entire world. If you are into bikepacking, it already is.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the ebike part but that's a great first post madsadsalad. We need more trails with a primitive, backcountry character. The whole plateau could easily be a national monument or wilderness area. Adventure riding at it's finest.

mtbr member
    Yup. This makes me more excited to go and check it out. For those in the know, how does this plan sound:

Plan on staying at the Podunk Guard Station (right in the middle of the "U" shape that the trail makes).

Plan on two full days of riding (point to point shuttles). Day 1 would be the western half of the 90 mile trail. Starting either at the southern tip or at the north western terminus by Thunder Mountain.

Day 2 would be the eastern side. Again, either starting at the southern tip, or at the north eastern terminus just outside of Bryce.

Any thoughts on preferred direction would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have always thought about a way to try to get those awful ATVs off of that wonderful trail. The Forest Service uses ATVs out there now because it used to be the only realistic way to maintain it. Of course, ATVs severely damage that wonderful trail. Ebikes present a new opportunity for getting rid of them. Hauling electric chainsaws with a normal bike is a non-starter out there, but the ebike opens up new possibilities. They are by far the cheapest and least invasive tool for that job. They are not a point source polluter, they don't damage the trail, and they are QUIET. What's the problem? Water that is too pure has no fish. Anyway, thanks. Not much of a poster, but I love remote country and especially that trail.

mtbr member
    neilether, I don't think you will win going either direction, both ways will have some very hard climbs. And both days will be very long. Bring lights, GPS, batteries, good map, food, etc etc. Water shouldn't be a problem except maybe on the east side. There are lots of cattle so you will definitely want to filter it except the spring on the west side, near here: https://www.trailforks.com/trails/ma...16&m=satellite

When I did my rides I camped a little past Podunk, here: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4321.../data=!3m1!1e3 This was a nice campsite, and central. For what you're doing I would camp there or near Crawford Pass trailhead. Ride Crawford Pass to access or exit Grandview if you can, it is worthwhile.

For a route, I'd ride from the bottom of Thunder Mtn south towards camp as far as you can on day 1. If it is taking longer than expected there are a number of bailouts that will take you back to camp with some road riding. Then pick up and continue the next day. Some of the roads up there are nice and some once you get out of the main valley are very primitive/rough.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Two days will be long long days with shuttles added. Take a fully charged light. Snow will also be an issue. I suppose the forest service office in panguitch might know. From Crawford to the end on the Eastern side would be a nice day. That's got to be at least 2 hours to drop the car and drive back to the southern tip though. To do the other side complete it would be better to have two days. Robinson Canyon (or perhaps further north to where the road intersects) and then finish at Crawford is more doable in one day. The section from Thunder to Robinson involves some dirt road and ATV trail sections as I just referred to. I think the Trailforks trail gps is complete and the gaps are where you have to take the road or ATV trail. That has lead to me choosing the Robinson side around the tip. There is a wonderful spring in Robinson Canyon. There is another Sulfer spring closer to Millcreek after that I wouldn't use and finally some run off over before the turn to Crawford. Depending on temps I would take at least 3-4 liters of water. Take a sawyer mini and bag and fill up when you can. You will be working very hard. I'm serious about plus tires! Definitely use them if you can.