Grafton mesa trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Grafton mesa trail

I cant find to much info on Grafton Mesa . We are going to be up for the weekend of the 10 thru 12 rideing gooseberry and the JEM trail. So was looking for some first hand info on Grafton mesa trail. How long is trail how long is shuttel drive and how bad was the rode? Dh bike or All moutian bike, (Skill level of riders will be expert not pro We ride and race boot leg , Angel Fire NM , Flagstaff AZ) What was your opoin of trail worth rideing or waste of time . Check a few web sites but not a lot of info on this trail.
    Thanks for any info you might have.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Great trail, you will never find it without some help. Someone will be on soon offering their services as a guide. My money is on Wasea responding first with El C second but I have been wrong before.
    All mountain scooters are adequate but ride what you got. I have seen 4" travel bikes on that trail they just don't do all the stunts.
    The shuttle is a good 1/2 hr from bottom to top, the road should be fine.

should know better.....
    Don't ride if it's wet..... Horrific clay/mud, that'll actually stop your tires from being able to roll through your frame.

If you shuttle all the way to the top, it's still a very steep climb, for quite a ways. I'd go with all mountain rigs, the DH isn't worth a DH bike.

The biggest issue for our group was pinch flats. The rock you are riding over and around is very blocky square edged stuff. Light bikes and heavy sidewall tires or stout tubeless would be my preference. There is a lot of very high speed traversing/descending across an open mesa, with one final steep straight shot descent through BIG ass blocks, not much launching, as you'd most likely just land in a nightmare of more blocks, but fun high speed rapid fire decision making with nasty consequences. Pretty fun. The pedal back to the road also has a couple of hills, one pretty steep, and some flat, that wouldn't be fun on a really big bike.

Views are good, a different ride than anything else out there IMO. Worth doing, unless its wet. You WILL be pedaling up some continuously steep stuff, so it's sustained work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    Don't ride if it's wet..... Horrific clay/mud, that'll actually stop your tires from being able to roll through your frame.

If you shuttle all the way to the top, it's still a very steep climb, for quite a ways. I'd go with all mountain rigs, the DH isn't worth a DH bike.

The biggest issue for our group was pinch flats. The rock you are riding over and around is very blocky square edged stuff. Light bikes and heavy sidewall tires or stout tubeless would be my preference. There is a lot of very high speed traversing/descending across an open mesa, with one final steep straight shot descent through BIG ass blocks, not much launching, as you'd most likely just land in a nightmare of more blocks, but fun high speed rapid fire decision making with nasty consequences. Pretty fun. The pedal back to the road also has a couple of hills, one pretty steep, and some flat, that wouldn't be fun on a really big bike.

Views are good, a different ride than anything else out there IMO. Worth doing, unless its wet. You WILL be pedaling up some continuously steep stuff, so it's sustained work.

If you are shuttling I don't know what climbs this guy is talking about. A shuttle takes out all of the climbing. That's what a shuttle is for.

should know better.....
    ooops.

I'm talking about Broken Mesa. Got My St George area mesa's confused.

My bad.

Or, as "Emily Litella" as played by Gilda Radner back in the day on SNL would say.....
    "Oh, Nevermind...."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    Great trail, you will never find it without some help. Someone will be on soon offering their services as a guide. My money is on Wasea responding first with El C second but I have been wrong before.
    All mountain scooters are adequate but ride what you got. I have seen 4" travel bikes on that trail they just don't do all the stunts.
    The shuttle is a good 1/2 hr from bottom to top, the road should be fine.

We will be riding Gooseberry and The JEM trail first bringing a 6 inch and a 4 inch for those . Did not know if Grafton trail was big bike or not . It don't look that hard to find from the web sites I was looking at. If you have any info on getting to it better let me know.
    JRA

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'd love to help but I cracked my collar bone doing a stupid monkey trick, I ate it really hard bunny hopping the gate on the GV loop. As far as what bike to bring I think a bigger bike would be the most fun, as you could really rip the ultra chunky rock gardens, however, I prefer it on a 6'' travel bike......just gotta have a lot of finesse to push it fast.
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    I'd love to help but I cracked my collar bone doing a stupid monkey trick, I ate it really hard bunny hopping the gate on the GV loop.
    Nice one buddy No, but really that sucks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    I'd love to help but I cracked my collar bone doing a stupid monkey trick, I ate it really hard bunny hopping the gate on the GV loop. As far as what bike to bring I think a bigger bike would be the most fun, as you could really rip the ultra chunky rock gardens, however, I prefer it on a 6'' travel bike......just gotta have a lot of finesse to push it fast.

Cool that what kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks. Is it all that hard to find? It seems pretty easy from what I could find on the Web.

Andy
    JRA

NOT Team Sanchez

Kind of.........

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B
    Cool that what kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks. Is it all that hard to find? It seems pretty easy from what I could find on the Web.

Andy

It's easy to find if you no where to look, my advice is to check the first couple of double tracks shooting left on the road from Goose to Rockville as I can't remember the exact one, the trail itself is a blast, great tech challenge, if you want more tech and exposure head over the Flying Monkey which has a rock garden that makes any other rockgardens look like your mom's flower patch
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    ....the trail itself is a blast, great tech challenge, if you want more tech and exposure head over the Flying Monkey which has a rock garden that makes any other rockgardens look like your mom's flower patch
    Mmmmm sounds tasty. Chunky Monkey.

Sorry to hear about the clavicle, Allen. How in the heck do you bunny hop those gates?!? I get crotched just carrying my bike over.

KRob---------->Not a very talented bunny hopper.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    He usually does it with little effort. Seen him myself. Sorry Allen, heal well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey A.P.B. I live at the bottom of Grafton and can give you the tour... p.m. me to get my beta and we'll work something out. I work at Zion cycles in the mornings but am free most afternoons and can usually hook up a driver if we don't want to pedal up it.

Hey Wasea, sorry to hear about the injury, heal quickly..... and the next time i won't space on you for that ride...

Oh, and I'm with him on that monkey rock garden....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by furrykid
    Hey A.P.B. I live at the bottom of Grafton and can give you the tour... p.m. me to get my beta and we'll work something out. I work at Zion cycles in the mornings but am free most afternoons and can usually hook up a driver if we don't want to pedal up it.

Hey Wasea, sorry to hear about the injury, heal quickly..... and the next time i won't space on you for that ride...

Hey Bill, is that you?

If so, here's some clips from Grafton I took with you leading.

Fantastic ride, thanks again,

Jon from Portland, OR
    Last edited by jgusta; 04-01-2009 at 05:41 PM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ya john it's me.... the vids are great thanks for the link. there'll be new goods the next time you come visit.
    b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Hey Bill, is that you?

Jon from Portland, OR
    Hey Jon, very cool videos. Grafton Mesa just moved up to the top of my SW UT must ride list. Looks like Bill's a little hard to keep up with eventhough it's obvious that you're no slouch either. Nice riding.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-02-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Hey Jon, very cool videos. Grafton Mesa just moved up to the top of my SW UT must ride list. Looks like Bill's a little hard to keep up with eventhough it's obvious that you're no slouch either. Nice riding.
    Thanks, yep Bill rip's it good and gots the skills fo' sure. But, it is in his backyard afterall . I was very fortunate to have someone to follow, cause I would of rode much more timid if on my own. My two other riding buddies who were even further behind us with the rest of the group ended up walking at least half of it due to unfamiliarity and unsureness.

A great ride for sure and good alternative to other more popular and tamer rides in the area.

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member

Hey Furrykid, thanks for the offer to be a guide. I'm heading up with APB, hopefully he Pm'd ya so we can figure something out. Buy ya 6 pack for your effort. I'll have my truck for shuttling. From the top how long is the trail, might do it at night with lights???
    Thanks, Heli.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yah, it could be done with lights but the full moon is the 9th and if you guys are coming on the 10th or so I would almost reccomend the goose as a night ride instead..... the slickrock glows so much in the moonlight that lights actually hinder ones view.. that said I have a bunch of light systems at my disposal so we could ride anything at night. My family is headed out of town that weekend so I can ride with y'all any afternoon/night you are here. Grafton can be as long as we want it really I know of ways to make it 12 plus miles with lots of pedaling or 7 without as much..... depends on what your looking for and what your ridin.... we can figure it out when you get here.... see you soon

should know better.....
    Hey furrykid,
    those vids look like tons of fun.
    What are you riding on that trail? (frame/fork) Looks perfect for that trail, would you ride the same rig on Flying Monkey? (for that matter, what do you ride at Gooseberry?) I see from your profile you have a quiver. We travelers don't have that option....
    Trying to figure out which rig to bring next time I come out there.

mtbr member
    Yah, it could be done with lights but the full moon is the 9th and if you guys are coming on the 10th or so I would almost reccomend the goose as a night ride instead..... the slickrock glows so much in the moonlight that lights actually hinder ones view.. that said I have a bunch of light systems at my disposal so we could ride anything at night. My family is headed out of town that weekend so I can ride with y'all any afternoon/night you are here. Grafton can be as long as we want it really I know of ways to make it 12 plus miles with lots of pedaling or 7 without as much..... depends on what your looking for and what your ridin.... we can figure it out when you get here.... see you soon
    Great furry, we'll find ya at the bike shop. I'll pm ya my email and cell and will be ready to ride in the AM on the 10th.
    Thanks, Later.
    SHITBIRD

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Very rough trail

The boys from the area can ride as unemployment has it perks I would probably not ride it again because it isn't my deal; however, for those who like it rough it is a must. This area has a little bit of everything and is a must visit.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Hey Bill, is that you?

Jon from Portland, OR
    I've been wondering if this footage ever made it out, you hid it here well Jon.

Sick footage of my pissing on the side of the trail.

I think Billy is on his Roscoe whoever was asking.

Members who have read this thread: 0