Got Chunk?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Got Chunk?

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

Got Chunk?

Okay Peeps

I have one simple question. What and where is the Chunkiest trail in Utah?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G.
    Okay Peeps

I have one simple question. What and where is the Chunkiest trail in Utah?
    Marla! Totally phatty but she puts out sweet!

Oh wait, I thought it said Chunkiest tail in Utah?

I'm certain something on So. Utah will win out. How about a chunkiest trail in So. Utah vs. chunkiest trail in the Wasatch and then e-bicker about which one is more gnar?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Five Miles of Hell? That's got to be up there near the top.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I do believe the land management agencies of the Wasatch Front have outlawed chunk and are in the process of systematically eraticating it from all trails in the region. I'd check out that other mountain range to the west for some solid chunk.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Shingle Creek in the Unitas is about as Rocky as it gets. I suppose you can call that chunky. Here's a quote from utahmountainbiking.com. "The Shingle Creek trail is the original Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. Sections of smooth dreamy hard-packed cruising alternate with nightmare sections of rocky rough climbs. And recent "improvements" have made the trail harder for mountain bikes. But the scenery is the best you can find anywhere in the Uinta Mountains. So it's worth doing."

However, as rough as the review says the trail is, they only ride the lower 2.5 miles and actually miss the upper 4+ miles that are considerably more rocky than the lower section. They recommend and out and back, but we usually ride it as a loop. Going 9 miles up Upper Setting road to a single track to a small lake then to the true top of Shingle Creek. From their I believe it is about 7 miles down.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    id say for So.Utah the Portal Trail is nice and chunky in a good kind of way, and for the Wasatch the White Pine trail is good and chunky

The Sentinel

Logan Peak

I blew chunks climbing up Logan Peak...does that count as chunky?
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hells Canyon........ nuff said

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Shingle Creek in the Unitas is about as Rocky as it gets. I suppose you can call that chunky. Here's a quote from utahmountainbiking.com. "The Shingle Creek trail is the original Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. Sections of smooth dreamy hard-packed cruising alternate with nightmare sections of rocky rough climbs. And recent "improvements" have made the trail harder for mountain bikes. But the scenery is the best you can find anywhere in the Uinta Mountains. So it's worth doing."

However, as rough as the review says the trail is, they only ride the lower 2.5 miles and actually miss the upper 4+ miles that are considerably more rocky than the lower section. They recommend and out and back, but we usually ride it as a loop. Going 9 miles up Upper Setting road to a single track to a small lake then to the true top of Shingle Creek. From their I believe it is about 7 miles down.
    Good to know I'm not the only one who suffers up that road. So worth it once you hit the singletrack though!
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Sad thing is, probably the 'chunkiest' trail in the Park City area, that I can recall, is lower Sweeney's that follows under the Park City lift. I guess you could add middle Sweeney's and John's especially now that the PCPP was run down it and blew out all the moondust and left all 4000 roots more exposed.

Pathetic, I know. But still.

However, if this was early Spring you could include parts of Killian's after the horse traffic gets done with all the mud. Not exactly rock, but might as well be.

Members who have read this thread: 0