Gooseberry Shuttle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Gooseberry Shuttle?

I'll be going to Gooseberry in mid April time frame and none of us will have an offroad capable vehicle. I understand there is a pretty rough dirt road that you need to drive up to get to the trail head. Anyone know how long it is? Should we just ride it? Or is there a local shuttle service that can take us up it? Thanks.

Apr 2004

goosberry

I just returned from the Zion area last week...we used www.mountainbikebuddies.com. Mark, the owner, is awesome! Having his service is a must ! Rates were super cheap and he will take you anywhere at any time. Give him a ring - he always answers his phone and is always open to talking bike rag. There are other trails that are "must do's" and even a few better than Gooseberry...depending on your skill level. You definitely need a 4X4 to get up to Gooseberry - riding the road on your bike would really suck and be a total waste of time.

...if you talk to Mark tell him the Atlanta folks referred you to him.

Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    I'll be going to Gooseberry in mid April time frame and none of us will have an offroad capable vehicle. I understand there is a pretty rough dirt road that you need to drive up to get to the trail head. Anyone know how long it is? Should we just ride it? Or is there a local shuttle service that can take us up it? Thanks.

Apr 2004

ejbur....check your PM and email me off this board

ejbur....check your PM and email me off this board

Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur

shaved yeti
    Needing a 4x4 to get to goose is like needing a hammer to swat a fly. I used to have a sports car and never had problems with getting to goose (as long as it was dry). Sure it's a little rough, but I think anything but a corvette or a mini would be able to handle it.

Apr 2004

goo...again

if you have not been to Gooseberry in the past few months you're comments may be a bit inaccuarte. Springdale / St George rcvd more than 10 inches of rain last month...which is more than they get for the entire year.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkey
    Needing a 4x4 to get to goose is like needing a hammer to swat a fly. I used to have a sports car and never had problems with getting to goose (as long as it was dry). Sure it's a little rough, but I think anything but a corvette or a mini would be able to handle it.

shaved yeti

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by the_greek
    if you have not been to Gooseberry in the past few months you're comments may be a bit inaccuarte. Springdale / St George rcvd more than 10 inches of rain last month...which is more than they get for the entire year.
    I live in San Jorge; I was up there last week. Ground seems firm and driveable. Didn't notice anything worth a 4x4, but then again it takes all kinds, eh?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkey
    I live in San Jorge; I was up there last week. Ground seems firm and driveable. Didn't notice anything worth a 4x4, but then again it takes all kinds, eh?
    Thanks for the info...4x4 or not...my car is not offroad capable...but I may have a buddy with a Land Rover coming, so problem maybe solved.
    Last edited by EJ_92606; 03-17-2005 at 10:35 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    You need a vehicle with at least "normal" ground clearance and be careful. If your car is lowered it will not make it.

It is not a long distance from the "main" graded dirt road to the trailhead. I would ride it. Good road for a mtb in fact.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common