Gooseberry: RV Park or dry camp...rental bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Gooseberry: RV Park or dry camp...rental bikes?

Looks like rather than staying in a rental unit/condo, I'm just going to pull my 30' toy hauler out to the Gooseberry area. Are there designated places to camp or can I just dry camp pretty much anywhere? I found the Zion River Resort in Virgin. Looks nice but since I've never stopped in the area, I have no idea how close it is to any of the trails we will want to be riding.

I'm also going to need to rent a quality, full suspension bike for either myself or my son to ride for (3) days. Looks like Red Rock Bikes in St George might be the best place? Anybody have other options I should chesck out?

Thanks for the input!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There are a bunch of spots to dry camp up on gooseberry. Never been, but the Zion resort does look nice & is at a good location ride-wise. For bikes, you should also check out zion cycles & over the edge sports in hurricane.

mtbr member
    Thanks, just wanted to make sure and didn't want to step on any toes. Where we ride dirt bikes in the deserts of SoCal, we can just pull off the road and dry camp pretty much anywhere.

Thanks for the rental bike options as well, I'll go check them out now.

mtbr member
    There are a few good camp spots up on the Goose, they are easily recognizable.
    If you have a 30' unit I would suggest you maybe park it temporarily by the bathrooms and head in on your bike to see what's open or you could end up backing that thing up for a mile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    How much do you like your toyhauler? LOL. We are staying at Sand Hollow State Park in Hurricane. Close to Gooseberry and St. George riding. Give Quentin, DJ or Dave a shout at Over the Edge in Hurricane they can look after your bike needs. Good people.J

mtbr member
    Saw Sand Hollow Park online but info is VERY sparse. Looks like minimal spots and unsure if they are free or what kind of 'amenities', if any, there are. I already e-mailed OTE in Hurricane since they have no info about rental bikes on the website.

I like my toy hauler but if somebody likes it more, they are welscome to steal it so i can get something newer and bigger

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sand Hollow is $28/Night with full services(Water,electric,sewer). The reason I asked if you like your RV is because the road up to Gooseberry isn't kind to RVs. Good luck. J

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Over the Edge in Hurricne 435-635-5455

Zion Cycles in Springdale 435-772-0400

Zion River RV Park is sweet. You can ride to JEM/Hurricane Rim/Goulds and Guacamole

Little drive to Gooseberry...about 35-40 minutes.

Sand Hollow has VERY nice improved camping spots, price is right and its a cental location but a bit of a drive. If it's windy that place sucks... or is that blows?????
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymorr
    Sand Hollow is $28/Night with full services(Water,electric,sewer). The reason I asked if you like your RV is because the road up to Gooseberry isn't kind to RVs. Good luck. J
    I agree. Unless you have tons of clearance under the sewer dump plumbing, expect it to be torn off by the dirt road into Goose.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree. Unless you have tons of clearance under the sewer dump plumbing, expect it to be torn off by the dirt road into Goose.
    Not to mention if a rain storm comes thru plan on becomming a permanent resident for a week before you could get it back out again.

Members who have read this thread: 0