Gooseberry RV Access From the South Side?- Mtbr.com
    I am Doctor Remulak

New question here. Gooseberry RV Access From the South Side?

We're heading to Gooseberry in a few weeks and plan to take our Sprinter based RV. I't been about 8 years since I was there and I don't remember Smithsonian Butte road condition. How is the road, will I be able to take the RV on this road to the top of the mesa if I drive slowly? I'm mostly concerned with any high or low spots that would cause us to drag on the ground.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey View Post
    We're heading to Gooseberry in a few weeks and plan to take our Sprinter based RV. I't been about 8 years since I was there and I don't remember Smithsonian Butte road condition. How is the road, will I be able to take the RV on this road to the top of the mesa if I drive slowly? I'm mostly concerned with any high or low spots that would cause us to drag on the ground.
    From spring I seem to remember one spot about halfway up that has a larger rock in the middle of the road. I bet you could get around it if you're careful. Weather will play a huge part in road conditions also obviously.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Best place to get up to date info on roads/trails will be Over the Edge bike shop if you didn't know already.
    Denver, CO

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Best place to get up to date info on roads/trails will be Over the Edge bike shop if you didn't know already.
    Thanks, I'll check with OTE. I thought somebody might have tried recently and would know the road condition.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just drove my compact sedan up it on Saturday. The road is in the best shape I've ever seen it. Your Sprinter will do just fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The South side? The Apple Valley side? Last time I drove it (late spring) the road was fine. Whoever maintains the road filled the muddy areas in with pit-run (babyhead sized rock). It looked like they were planning more fixes too. I expect it is a nice road now.

If you mean the North access (the Grafton side) then it's probably not great in a van. In late spring it was really rocky and rutty. Zion Cycles would have a better idea of how the road is than ote. The only reason to take that road is if you are already in the area. If you are coming from I15, North or South, it's faster to come in from the Apple Valley side.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    I just drove my compact sedan up it on Saturday. The road is in the best shape I've ever seen it. Your Sprinter will do just fine.
    Great news! Thanks for the info, much appreciated. To be clear, it's an RV like this, not just a Sprinter van. Still no problem?

Gooseberry RV Access From the South Side?-road-test-2013-winnebago-view-24v-front-three-quarter.jpg

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor View Post
    The South side? The Apple Valley side? Last time I drove it (late spring) the road was fine. Whoever maintains the road filled the muddy areas in with pit-run (babyhead sized rock). It looked like they were planning more fixes too. I expect it is a nice road now.

If you mean the North access (the Grafton side) then it's probably not great in a van. In late spring it was really rocky and rutty. Zion Cycles would have a better idea of how the road is than ote. The only reason to take that road is if you are already in the area. If you are coming from I15, North or South, it's faster to come in from the Apple Valley side.

Yes, the Apple Valley side. I've been up the Grafton side on a previous trip in a 4WD pickup and would never consider going that way without 4WD.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor View Post

Good to hear. I tried to get in there with a lifted 16' trailer last fall, a few days after it had rained, and the road had been torn to hell by people who couldn't wait for it to dry out.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    AZ Mikey,
    I sent you a pm

Your Best Friend
    Since this thread was dug up, I'll do a quick update.

Smithsonian Butte Scenic Byway has been graded, crowned and graveled in the last 1.5 years. It is epically better than it ever has been. During the wet season, it will still get rutted and muddy but nothing like it has been. During the peak season, it is pretty well maintained and easily traveled by even large RVs.

Coming from the north up cry baby hill from Rockville has even been improved. In late 2017 they graded it and improved drainage. It's slowly degrading but still reasonably passable by Subaru style vehicles. No serious 4x4 required.

The rumor is that they eventually intend to fully improve and pave the road but funds for it seem to keep being applied elsewhere.

One other thing, the BLM is slowly rolling back the dispersed camping and are creating designated campsites.

Feel free to pm me for current conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the update

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post

One other thing, the BLM is slowly rolling back the dispersed camping and are creating designated campsites.

Feel free to pm me for current conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    No doubt because of posts like this.

It's all gnarly 4x4, stay away
    Denver, CO