mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Gooseberry riding on MLK weekend

Hey locals or travelers, if anyone can help out. I'm not super familiar with the area (have been there once, but wasn't staying in Utah), so which is a better place to stay in relation to Gooseberry - Hurricane or Springdale? Any advice would be appreciated. According to current weather rain shouldn't be a problem, but it looks to be fairly cold (coming from So Cal anyway!). Is there snow on the ground anywhere?

Any other trails in the area that are worth hitting up in case we get bored (I know, shouldn't happen) with Gooseberry for 3 days? Is JEM okay this time of year?

I appreciate any advice.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    JEM should be fine this time of year.

You may also want to check out Slickrock Swamp outside of Rockville. That is a good ride that is open, despite some rumors to the contrary. Of course there are always the rides in St. George proper that are fun as well.

Check out utahmountainbiking.com for trail info.

doc

DOH!
    ...Oh, if you head down to St. George, don't pass up Broken Mesa. Seven miles of downhill fun, and plenty of pedaling as well, if you're into that.

DOH!
    Go for Springdale. Cheap lodging @ this time of year, more interesting drive up to The Goose, minutes from the Slickrock Swamp (I second the recommendation of riding the 'Swamp while there), and of course the most important things: Oscar's and The Mean Bean.

JEM should be OK to ride, and if you're so inclined, the Redbull course is always a fun place to play. Along those lines, there's also Flying Monkey, Show Me The Money, Grafton Mesa, Little Creek, etc.... A new ride I haven't yet tried is the Guacamole Trail. From what I understand, it's still a little rough in spots, but it's fun.

Have fun!

ride more.
    Nov 2004

sprung shoulders -

a few of us are planning on going to the red bull venue this weekend. if you are interested, drop me a PM.

mtbr member

Fun

Goosberry of course then cross the highway and do Littlecreek and the back in St George Broken Mesa is fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    We decided on Hurricane since we know the route to Gooseberry from last time up there. Will probably try to hit up the practice loops on Friday afternoon, then do a bunch of riding and photos on Saturday, and hopefully hit up the JEM/Hurricane/Gould's for a loop. That one I don't have much info on, so hopefully the online info is good

Thanks guys.

If anyone's out there, I'll be the one on my new 1x1 struggling to pedal!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    " A new ride I haven't yet tried is the Guacamole Trail." Anybody have directions or GPS coordinates to the Guacamole Trail?

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    sprung shoulders -

a few of us are planning on going to the red bull venue this weekend. if you are interested, drop me a PM.
    Crap; sorry I didn't check back on the forum 'til now. Hoope you had a good time!

Thanks for the invite. I am, however, off the more extreme stuff 'til my shoulders heal: partially torn rotator in one, tendonitis in both. Doc said take the time off now, or keep pissing your old body off and it'll slap you down for all next season. I chose "now".

Cheers.

mtbr member

Trail Conditions at Gooseberry for this weekend?

I'm tired of rain and mud. Considering driving down to Springdale for the MLK weekend. Any news on trail conditions?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=flipnidaho]I'm tired of rain and mud.

Conditions are perfect, you should not have any problems.

mechmann_mtb
    the closer it gets to the time of departure the more excited i get. i hope the weather holds out for sunday's ride. if it doesn't we will be snowboarding at Brianhead. what a horrible plan B LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Photos and trip write-up found here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=158345

Members who have read this thread: 0