Gooseberry: Raining day questions?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Gooseberry: Raining day questions?

    Coming out to the St George/Hurricane area April 7-10. For now, the weather predictions show 30% possibility of rain. Wanting to be good citizens/stewards of the sport, I don't want to or plan on doing any trail damage to wet trails. That being said, are there places that dry out faster than others or areas where it's still okay to ride after it does rain? Maybe the slickrock type areas? I've never ridden on that type of surface but I guess that rocks wouldn't get damaged in the rain...

    I drove thru that area on the way home from Park City on friday and couldn't believe how hot it was already. How quickly do the trails in the area dry out after a rainfall?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    30% chance of rain means 70% chance of NO rain!!!

    Gooseberry is pretty good with "some" rain. Its the road in (and out...!!!!!) that gets poopy.

    Hidden Canyon is the trail that gets wet the most often, everything else drains pretty darn well.

    Thanks a million for asking, that's a class act
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,419
    Thanks Monte, I do a 4WD diesel that we'll be moving around in...I had hoped to stay in your place but saw you were all booked up. We were going to drag my toy hauler up there but found a place in Hurricane just this past week that wasn't previously available.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964
    Thanks Monte, I do a 4WD diesel that we'll be moving around in...I had hoped to stay in your place but saw you were all booked up. We were going to drag my toy hauler up there but found a place in Hurricane just this past week that wasn't previously available.
    Thanks for thinking of us...It's been a pretty banner spring for bookings. We're booked solid from Jan thru May and June is starting to fill.

    How many of you came along on the trip? You know Bonnie and i only like to ride Gooseberry on days that end in "y"... Shoot me a PM and we'll join you.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: huckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    63
    We had a rain day on a trip a few years ago, and took the opportunity to ride up through Zion Canyon(on the road). One of the more beautiful places I've ever been.

  6. #6
    Really I am that slow
    Reputation: SlowerThenSnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964
    Coming out to the St George/Hurricane area April 7-10. For now, the weather predictions show 30% possibility of rain. Wanting to be good citizens/stewards of the sport, I don't want to or plan on doing any trail damage to wet trails. That being said, are there places that dry out faster than others or areas where it's still okay to ride after it does rain? Maybe the slickrock type areas? I've never ridden on that type of surface but I guess that rocks wouldn't get damaged in the rain...

    I drove thru that area on the way home from Park City on friday and couldn't believe how hot it was already. How quickly do the trails in the area dry out after a rainfall?
    This time of year stuff dries up quite quick

    always welcome to call OTE and get the latest trail beta =)
    Read my BLOG!

    just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    This time of year stuff dries up quite quick

    always welcome to call OTE and get the latest trail beta =)
    Well, I guess I may be able to ask you in person then since our first stop after dropping our stuff off at our rental house in Hurricane will be at OTE to rent a bike for my son

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.