Gooseberry in November- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Gooseberry in November

Is it snowing in November aroung St. George. In particular November 12, 13, or 14? Looking to ride Gooseberry Mesa, Is this a good time of year?
    Where's BAKERSFIELD?

I railed it like Kong
    Goose is chilly that time of year. But i think the snow starts late November. You may have some nights of snow but i don't remember it sticking up there until December anyway.
    Last edited by Arkon; 09-18-2007 at 03:20 PM.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yep. Usually rideable, but likely cold.

If its a nice day it can be great that time of year, If its cold just ride some of the lower elevation trails in St George.
    www.utahmountainbiking.com. Look for some trails you like there.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    I rode the Goose the weekend after thanksgiving a few years back. It was perfect 50-55 deg day. It could be snowing and howling wind too.... but your chances of having good weather are pretty high.

Like others said...you can hit some of the lower stuff around st. george if the weather's not cooperating.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It'd be cold, but shouldn't be to much snow. Just pay attention to the weather for that area around that time and if any storms come in then the snow might stick. Even if it does stick, it usually only takes a few days for it to melt, but might be muddy for a few days after that.

Feb 2007
    Chances are the weather will be good in November. The problem usually is the road to Gooseberry in the winter.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by mbb-utah
    Chances are the weather will be good in November. The problem usually is the road to Gooseberry in the winter.
    Thats the ticket. Ive ridden GB probably every month of the year and the only problem I have ever had was a road that was impossible to navigate after a hard rain
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It hardly ever snows in St. George, and it never sticks around for very long. As mentioned, the road is the trickiest part if you're following any substantial moisture.

Regardless, there are plenty of trails in and around St. George that can keep you fairly entertained should Gooseberry Mesa fall through on you.

Gravity Tester
    Rode and camped there last year about the 25th of Oct. Riding was fine - camping was COLD. Windy and sub-freezing at night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Never been to Gooseberry. You talk about the road-is it dirt, paved, sand? Should I drive the Matrix or the 4x4 suburban?
    Where's BAKERSFIELD?

Sep 2007
    The road is a mixture of sand, dirt and rock. After a rain even my neighbor's Hummer with new Toyo mud tires had a hard time getting in. Rain or no rain, I would stick with the 4x4.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMP73
    Never been to Gooseberry. You talk about the road-is it dirt, paved, sand? Should I drive the Matrix or the 4x4 suburban?
    Here is a thought, take the Matrix, if the road is too muddy for it you won't be tempted to tear the hell out of it by going 4x4.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMP73
    I've taken my Matrix out there a few times, just have to be careful of the bigger drop offs, if its wet, at all, then I'd take the 4x4. But wet or dry, the 4x4 will get you there faster. The Matrix is actually pretty good at going off road, I've taken it through alot of the dirt roads in the GB area, but it does kinda beat up your car, and thats no fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0