Gooseberry Mesa suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Gooseberry Mesa suggestions?

I'm going to be travelling with my family but should be able to get away for a couple of hours when we're in the area, it looks like you could spend a long day doing all the trails at Gooseberry Mesa, just wondering if someone could suggest a routing that would hit the highlights of the area, both trail wise and scenery wise that could be done in around 2 hours or so?

I was thinking up south rim to gooseberry point and down north rim, seems like the most scenic option. but this missed hidden canyon which seems to be some peoples favorite?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marving View Post
    I'm going to be travelling with my family but should be able to get away for a couple of hours when we're in the area, it looks like you could spend a long day doing all the trails at Gooseberry Mesa, just wondering if someone could suggest a routing that would hit the highlights of the area, both trail wise and scenery wise that could be done in around 2 hours or so?

I was thinking up south rim to gooseberry point and down north rim, seems like the most scenic option. but this missed hidden canyon which seems to be some peoples favorite?
    Can't go wrong - but you would be a hard/fast rider if you do north+south in 2 hours. Mileage doesn't add up quickly out on goose. If you're strong and strong technically its definitely doable, but I would say you would be in the top 10% of riders at that speed. Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion - depends on your skill, strength and expectations I guess. The drive out there isn't quick either, so factor that in too.

Hidden Canyon is really good but it gets hard to add in without making it longer ( doubling back ) or missing parts of one of the rims.

sorry ... totally unhelpful post.

I'm sure some of the s. utah crew will chime in with better estimates

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Can't go wrong - but you would be a hard/fast rider if you do north+south in 2 hours. Mileage doesn't add up quickly out on goose. If you're strong and strong technically its definitely doable, but I would say you would be in the top 10% of riders at that speed. Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion - depends on your skill, strength and expectations I guess. The drive out there isn't quick either, so factor that in too.

Hidden Canyon is really good but it gets hard to add in without making it longer ( doubling back ) or missing parts of one of the rims.

sorry ... totally unhelpful post.

I'm sure some of the s. utah crew will chime in with better estimates
    i am definitely -not- top 10%, i usually come in right around 50-60% on strava. so i'd probably be looking at 3 hours? more?

the drive out is generally ok in a 2wd? or does it turn to shit if it rains? google says its about a 40min drive from hurricane.

is hidden canyon considerably better than north/south rim? ie is it worth cutting out part of north rim or south rim to do it?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I agree with SLCpunk in terms of ride time. 2 hours would be really fast. My favorite part of the trail is the return back on South Rim from the intersection of "the Point." Really fun tech riding with a net downhill (but it is up and down the whole way). Goose is pretty demanding, your mileage/vertical will probably feel like more than it is. If you can carve out 3 hours for yourself, I'd recommend going out on South Rim, then splitting off on Hidden Canyon, then over to North Rim, out to the point (or skip this if getting here took longer than expected), and return via South Rim all the way back to the parking lot. Obviously there are other great trail segments on the Goose, but that will give you a lot of the best scenery and riding in a relatively short amount of time.

...and yes, if it rains the road turns to absolute slop. You definitely don't want to go out there if it's raining. In good conditions, I've seen Priuses and Corollas make it out there, but there was likely some bumping and scraping. There is one spot in particular where the road gets a bit rough from water run off. That and the last .5 miles often have more bottom out potential. You can avoid that last .5 mile stretch by parking at the first parking lot (where the road splits to go for Windmill section) and then riding to the South Rim trailhead. They did grade the road last fall, so that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Padlz View Post
    I agree with SLCpunk in terms of ride time. 2 hours would be really fast. My favorite part of the trail is the return back on South Rim from the intersection of "the Point." Really fun tech riding with a net downhill (but it is up and down the whole way). Goose is pretty demanding, your mileage/vertical will probably feel like more than it is. If you can carve out 3 hours for yourself, I'd recommend going out on South Rim, then splitting off on Hidden Canyon, then over to North Rim, out to the point (or skip this if getting here took longer than expected), and return via South Rim all the way back to the parking lot. Obviously there are other great trail segments on the Goose, but that will give you a lot of the best scenery and riding in a relatively short amount of time.

...and yes, if it rains the road turns to absolute slop. You definitely don't want to go out there if it's raining. In good conditions, I've seen Priuses and Corollas make it out there, but there was likely some bumping and scraping. There is one spot in particular where the road gets a bit rough from water run off. That and the last .5 miles often have more bottom out potential. You can avoid that last .5 mile stretch by parking at the first parking lot (where the road splits to go for Windmill section) and then riding to the South Rim trailhead. They did grade the road last fall, so that helps.
    awesome thanks, that sounds like a great plan, so 3 hours to do that won't require superhuman conditioning, it would be a fairly average time?

is the only issue of the road (assuming its not wet) clearance issues? not a bunch of loose sand to get stuck in with a 2wd? i'd be driving a rental, probably a mid size suv of some sort

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah, just clearance if the road is dry. Any size SUV with decent clearance will be fine even if it's limited to 2WD. However, if it's muddy even 4WD isn't enough to guarantee an exit.

I just checked my Strava and riding the route described above with Yellow Trail included as well took my about 2 hours wheels spinning (not including stops). I'm definitely not in the superhuman category, but I do have familiarity with the trail, wayfinding and like factors. As I mentioned, you can trim off the out and back to the Point to cut some time off (the view at the Point is pretty awesome though). Goose is awesome, have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    awesome thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i second padlz recc. getting out to the point is pretty much a must ... i mean, if you don't get out there, you really can't say you've been to the goose! remember at any point if you're close to the main road you can high-tail it back to the parking lot in just a few minutes. ( south rim touches in a few spots )

route finding shouldn't slow you down too much - once you're following the dots, it isn't that tricky. trailforks or similar will keep you on track tho' if you're worried about it.

i would say 3 hours for that route is pretty safe assuming some baseline conditioning and skills. desert/tech riding is very different from other riding I've done, don't know you're experience. it isn't about XC lungs and legs - much more about flow and keeping your speed up over obstacles without having to put in big efforts every dip and ramp/step. if you're braking down every drop and having to start every climb from a standstill it can wipe you out quickly.

no matter what, go enjoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'll be up in Zion, Springdale area for business next week, Saturday the 30th-Tuesday the 2nd. Is it too hot this time of the year to ride around there? I'm bringing bikes because it is a bike related business trip. Ive ridden all over Gooseberry and the surrounding areas in the past, but usually in the spring or fall.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member

Gooseberry Mesa suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I'll be up in Zion, Springdale area for business next week, Saturday the 30th-Tuesday the 2nd. Is it too hot this time of the year to ride around there? I'm bringing bikes because it is a bike related business trip. Ive ridden all over Gooseberry and the surrounding areas in the past, but usually in the spring or fall.
    Looks like highs in Hurricane will be right around 100 this weekend with lows around 65-70. Ride up on the mesas ( should be a few degrees cooler), get up early and get off the trail by 11:00 or 12:00 and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com