Gooseberry Mesa Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Gooseberry Mesa Question

So my buddy and may be out towards to Zion National Park later this week. We are thinking of doing the Gooseberry Mesa Trail.

What is the best way to get to the trail coming from Vegas?

About how long does it take to ride the whole trail?

Lastly, are there any maps available?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joltz
    So my buddy and may be out towards to Zion National Park later this week. We are thinking of doing the Gooseberry Mesa Trail.

Not sure about directions coming from Vegas.
    However, Gooseberry is actually composed of several trails which you can combine to make different loops. In other words, you can go for 1 hour or you can go for several hours. What we do is we do a few loops, go back to the car, have lunch, do a few more loops and go home happy..

mtbr member

take 15

Take 15 into utah go past St. george then take 9 to hurricane utah. Gooseberry mesa is just outside hurricane. The jem trail is also fun... enjoy zion!! that place is really cool!!! angels landing trail is unbelievable......

bog

Chris Bling

there is snow on goose

Quote Originally Posted by joltz

as far as riding goose, it snowed out there last week and some of the guys that went and rode it said there was still snow out there last weekend. you might want to call before you head out and make sure there is no snow. from my experience, snow and slickrock dont mix too well, especially with ice involved.

call up to desert cyclery to check on the trail conditions out at goose, and they have a really good detailed map of how to get there. plus, the map has all the different trails out there in some pretty good detail. i think they run ten dollars. there is a group of us going to ride broken mesa early on saturday if you guys want to join us.

dusty
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This Desert Cyclery

Desert Cyclery Inc
    514 N Bluff #1
    St George UT 84770
    Phone: 435-674-2929

Thanks

Chris Bling

address change

the address is actually

1091 N Bluff suite 1503
    ST. George Ut 84770

we moved about 5 months ago
    but yes, this is the desert cyclery i was talking about

dusty
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Snow

I'm visiting a friend in Vegas are actually thinking about heading out there Friday. I looked at the weather report for Fri and it says high of 75. This is kind of a last minute thing and I'm not to familar with that area. Is there still snow on Gooseberry Mesa?

How is the elevation as well?

All this info has been really helpful...thanks guys!

Feb 2007
    For good directions to Gooseberry look on utahmountainbiking.com. There is no snow and the trail is in good shape. Be sure to ride the other rides in the area. If you don't want to waste time looking for trails consider mountainbikebuddies.com.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22
    as far as riding goose, it snowed out there last week and some of the guys that went and rode it said there was still snow out there last weekend. you might want to call before you head out and make sure there is no snow. from my experience, snow and slickrock dont mix too well, especially with ice involved.

call up to desert cyclery to check on the trail conditions out at goose, and they have a really good detailed map of how to get there. plus, the map has all the different trails out there in some pretty good detail. i think they run ten dollars. there is a group of us going to ride broken mesa early on saturday if you guys want to join us.

dusty
    So how is Broken Mesa right now? That trail was on our list to ride while in the area last week, but our riding plans were changed due to the snow. Guys from Springdale said broken mesa had some erosion problems and was impacted by recent fires. Is that true? I wish we could have rode it, looks like my kind of trail. Will have to ride it next time along with Little Creek, which still had too much snow as of last Friday before we left.

Highlights of our trip despite the snow that dumped last week was: South Rim on the Goose, Hurricane Rim and parts of JEM, and Church Rocks. Even though weather was not in our favor, we still rode 6 days in a row from St. George to Zion. Can't wait to get back there.

JG

I railed it like Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    So how is Broken Mesa right now? That trail was on our list to ride while in the area last week, but our riding plans were changed due to the snow. Guys from Springdale said broken mesa had some erosion problems and was impacted by recent fires. Is that true? JG
    Broken Mesa has been open and rideable for quite a while. That fire was 2 years ago.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There is not enough snow on Gooseberry to even think about not riding it. People have been riding it since the day after the snow came down without a single comment on it being a problem.
    I-15 to Hwy 9 to Hwy 59 14.5 miles then left on Smithsonian Butte Rd. for 2.8 miles, left through the fence and 3.4 miles to the outhouse were you will find a basic map of where you are.
    If you are in Zion / Springdale, Zion Cycles have maps specific to Gooseberry, J.E.M., Hurricane Rim, and Goulds. As well as the Adventure Map that covers the region.
    Have a great time and bring a little sun screen.
    www.zioncycles.com

Feb 2007
    Broken Mesa is in pretty good shape. I rode it last Saturday. If ridden aggressively, it will challenge even the best riders. Be careful the basault rocks are sharp up there.

Members who have read this thread: 0