Gooseberry Mesa on July 1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Gooseberry Mesa on July 1

Hi all,

I am doing a Western Spirit tour in the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from June 25-29. I want to stay in St George for a couple of extra days after the tour so I can go ride Gooseberry Mesa on Sunday (July 1). I have heard it gets really hot there that time of the year, so it pays to go there to start riding at 6 6:30 am. I have a couple of questions for everyone:

• I am going by myself. Do people think I will be able to hook up with some local (or other) riders if I just show up there early on Sunday?
    • Is that trail doable if I am by myself. Is it well marked and generally easy to navigate? Would anyone advice against riding by myself in the desert?
    • Any other advice?

Thanks to all for the advice.

mtbr member
    July and August are the hottest months in So. Utah. The higher elevations on the mesa do cool thing off a few degrees, but it'll still be 100+ on a clear day. Definately get an early start and plan on being back to the car around 12-1pm. Take plenty of water, at least 100 oz, pack some on-trail food, and lather on the sun screen. If I know I'm going to be out for a long ride I'll fill my bladder with ice and pack a semi-frozen 16 oz Gatorade. Nothing like a cold drink mid-ride.

I'm always hesitant to ride a new trail solo. How confident and skilled of a rider are you? The trail isn't too hard to follow and getting lost isn't much of an issue seeing as how the mesa is fairly narrow, from the South Rim to the North Rim, and running between the two rims is a double track dirt road. So if at anytime you get lost, head toward the center of the Mesa and take the dirt road back to the trailhead. Just make sure you get a decent map and you should be good to go. While spotty, cel phone coverage does exist on the mesa, particularly on the South Rim, so if you've got one take it along in case of an emergency. Good luck.

Oh, one more thing, if the road is muddy and you don't have a 4wd vehicle don't attempt to drive to the trail head. When wet the clay become slicker than greased snot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for the info crash. I was actually planning on taking a shuttle to the trailhead (and from the trailhead back to St G). I have been looking at the maps and you are right, there doesn't seem to be many "getting-lost" concerns as the trails are pretty much going around the mesa.

I consider myself an Intermediate rider, but I usually chicken out when I'm riding by myself and end up walking stuff that I would ride over with a group. I don't expect this ride to be different.

Your tips are very helpful. I will take everything into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    July and August are the hottest months in So. Utah. The higher elevations on the mesa do cool thing off a few degrees, but it'll still be 100+ on a clear day. Definately get an early start and plan on being back to the car around 12-1pm. Take plenty of water, at least 100 oz, pack some on-trail food, and lather on the sun screen. If I know I'm going to be out for a long ride I'll fill my bladder with ice and pack a semi-frozen 16 oz Gatorade. Nothing like a cold drink mid-ride.

I'm always hesitant to ride a new trail solo. How confident and skilled of a rider are you? The trail isn't too hard to follow and getting lost isn't much of an issue seeing as how the mesa is fairly narrow, from the South Rim to the North Rim, and running between the two rims is a double track dirt road. So if at anytime you get lost, head toward the center of the Mesa and take the dirt road back to the trailhead. Just make sure you get a decent map and you should be good to go. While spotty, cel phone coverage does exist on the mesa, particularly on the South Rim, so if you've got one take it along in case of an emergency. Good luck.

Oh, one more thing, if the road is muddy and you don't have a 4wd vehicle don't attempt to drive to the trail head. When wet the clay become slicker than greased snot.

Feb 2007
    You might consider checking out www.mountainbikebuddies.com.

Members who have read this thread: 1