Gooseberry Mesa Conditions- Mtbr.com
    The MTB Lab

Gooseberry Mesa Conditions

Just got into Springdale tonight, temps seems fine but its dark and I have no clue as to the conditions up on the trail?

Any info?

Thanks.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    how long you going to be there?

The MTB Lab
    Sean my main man, I am leaving late tomorrow afternoon and I am heading to Boulder City Nevada and I'll do a ride there on Tuesday. I am with the family heading to California for the holidays. So I will only be around in the morning till mid afternoon. The snow cover and cold pretty sucked the entire way out until the middle of Utah. No riding in Moab nor Fruita for a bit.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    d'oh. Hopefully (and I would surprised if it didn't) conditions in Moab will be good the Christmas/new years week for I have an 11 day escape from my work starting this coming friday.

NMBP
    The trail should be ridable, the road in will probably suck.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    I just rode Goose on Friday... The road isn't bad as I got all the way to the outhouse in a Merc Grand Marquis. You can see where previous rain has messed it up, but nice hard packed tracks have been established. (I came in off of Highway 59 by the way) I couldn't get all the way to the trail head with the car though due to deep puddles in the road. There are around routes for a couple, but the 3rd one I got to had no good way around. I just parked at the outhouse and biked on.

The trail was in great shape with a few minimal wet spots and a tick of snow here and there. The only real down side is that it was frickin' freezing - 23* when I started at 9:00 am and 31* when I finished at 3:00 pm, and windy to boot. However, I think Hurricane and St. George only saw about 40 for the day so it wasn't super warm anywhere.

If your car has a little bit of clearance you'll be golden and bring plenty of layers... have fun

ss poser
    Quote Originally Posted by amajeski
    If your car has a little bit of clearance you'll be golden and bring plenty of layers... have fun
    what kind of car were you in? i have a saturn vue 4x2. a bit higher than a car, but certainly not meant for off roading. heading up next w/e.

tks,
    t
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    what kind of car were you in? i have a saturn vue 4x2. a bit higher than a car, but certainly not meant for off roading. heading up next w/e.

tks,
    t
    Mercury Grand Marquis as I mentioned above... A big 'ole 2 wheel drive American lead sled, riding a bit low with all of my crap in the back seat and trunk

As long as it doesn't rain/snow you should be golden in the Vue... It's your call on trying to get all the way to the trail head though. If you do it, you'll have to charge at least 1 big puddle... I'd advise parking at the outhouse and biking in... it's a very short distance and the ease in riding it outweights the wear and tear on driving a car in (in my opinion anyway).

The MTB Lab
    12/17/09

The road out of Rockville had one nasty wet section just before the steep hill. On Gooseberry Mesa itself there were still some mud spots past the outhouse but most have a bypass. One mud spot you would need 4x4 or some clearance.

The trail was a hoot. A few damp spots here and there and the North Rim had some snow and ice patches. I just did the South Rim to the Point and then the North Rim to the Practice and back to the start. It was pleasant out, around 50. A bit chilly in some spots but not bad. Shirt sleeves for sure!

I will get back there again, recommended. The South Rim had a few tough technical spots, those tight slow speed turns are tricky and there were a couple of steep slick rocks sections near the end that are difficult.

ss poser
    we're headed up on sat, so will probably post for an update closer to when we'll ride. tks for the report! hope the weather holds!
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

Members who have read this thread: 0