Gooseberry Mesa: Any fast/flowy sections?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Gooseberry Mesa: Any fast/flowy sections?

I will be in Zion in a couple weeks and I'm also planning on riding Gooseberry as well. I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to rent a bike that is on my short list of possible future bikes. I understand GM has a lot of slow/technical sections and I do want to ride that, but I would also like to be able to get this bike up to speed in some faster/flowy sections to see how it handles in those situations (i.e. speeds up to 15-20 mph and leaning into curves...not full on DH). Does this terrain exist at GM? The JEM trail looks to fit this bill, but I'll be on a time constraint and not sure if I would be able to hit both trails in the same day. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Gooseberry slow and techy. JEM fast and flowy. You may be able to get up to speed for very short sections on Gooseberry but not often. We met a Mid West family on Gooseberry this spring. They were all pushing their 29ers and all had clipless pedals. They were looking for those flowy trails. Mom says "I guess I'm a lot more Intermediate than I thought!"
    We had a blast there.

Formerly of Kent
    The JEM trails, northwest of GM, definitely fit that description.

Asked by a friend to describe them, I said:

"Hauling ass through the desert at Mach Stupid. With random rocks and cattle to slow you down from time to time."
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks, guys. Ironically, I'm renting a 29er. No doubt GM will let me know how well it will do in slow/tech. I guess I'm going to have to find a way to ride JEM too in order to get a feel for how it handles the faster stuff...maybe even at the expense of cutting GM a bit short. I assume what little faster singletrack there is on GM would be found on the north rim portion?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The fastest section of Gooseberry is Hidden Canyon riding from the South Rim end towards the white trail (road). It's not buff singletrack but it is the closest to what you are looking for. The other piece that might fit the bill is the Windmill section.

You can easily fit some JEM in. There are a lot of ways to do it without riding the traditional 20 mile loop. Lots of people just shuttle JEM and ride down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll find a way to squeeze in JEM downhill portion.

banned
    Sep 2008
    The gem, Gould, and hurricane loop is great and plenty flowy. twas 20 plus miles if I remember correctly with the last 5/6 miles almost all dh.

Gooseberry Mesa is totally fine on a 29er. I enjoyed the whole thing on a 29er ss 32-18. Made pretty quick work of the techy. As hard tails do. No unnecessary frame movement.

Another great ride if you ever get a chance is the thunder mountain trail area closer to Bryce.

rog

mtbr member
    It sounds like you should skip Gooseberry Mesa (it hurts me to say that...) and go ride Little Creek Mountain instead. It has very similar technical features to Gooseberry, but they are less frequent and there are some fast flowy sections mixed in. It also has some slickrock riding on the far north end thrown in for good measure.

To test out the different capabilities of a new bike, I think Little Creek would be more informative. In my opinion, it is every bit as fun as Gooseberry, just with a slightly different (yet similar) personality. Also, much less crowded.