Gooseberry Ecolodges- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Gooseberry Ecolodges

Just purchased 70 acres on Gooseberry Mesa and planning on building eco lodges. I'd love to get a flavor for what trail work is currently going on.

mtbr member
    I don't know of any work *currently* going on. I'm sure Silentfoe will mosey in here at some point and tell you about the trail they are trying to get approved that will climb up to the mesa from the Apple Valley side. Don't know where they are on approval process or dealing with private land owners but that's the only thing I'm aware of.

Where is your property in relation to the current trails? Can you share what you mean by eco lodge? I'm curious as I'm always looking for new options since I prefer not to camp. I've thought about renting one of the yurts up there but my problem is I like to ride a different area every day and driving up and down the road to the mesa gets old.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The property is within the town of Apple valley and will get water from there.

Planning on a limited number of units with as little impact as we can feasibly achieve. Units will be nightly rental.

mtbr member
    If they are indeed working on a trail from Apple Valley, you may want to get in and help out. 70 acres in the right location could benefit both parties. Ride in ride out accommodations would be sweet.

If you need any construction help I'd be willing to talk to you, I just wrapped up a big nightly rental community in Santa Clara and I have seen some things that you may be interested in. PM me if you would like.

mtbr member
    How about building a trail or trails looping through your property that is on the beginner level and appeals to families and seniors who would appreciate pedal assist ebike access. Being able to ride a pedal assist bike to other Gooseberry Mesa trails that allow access would be a great asset and draw for your development. Also would be an opportunity for everyone to observe and monitor trail use behavior and trail wear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    How about building a trail or trails looping through your property that is on the beginner level and appeals to families and seniors who would appreciate pedal assist ebike access. Being able to ride a pedal assist bike to other Gooseberry Mesa trails that allow access would be a great asset and draw for your development. Also would be an opportunity for everyone to observe and monitor trail use behavior and trail wear.
    We plan on building trails within out property and also looking to clean up and mark some of the existing lines that get ridden but aren't marked...old ranch roads that run throughout the mesa. Many of them tie into Gander and can be used to make some fun loops that have some beginner level and some intermediate level trails.

We are on the east edge of the Mesa right where the rough section of the road is about a mile before the Y where the original bathroom is. We think the Mesa needs a bunch of more beginner to intermediate level trails that that we should work to get bikes off of the dirt road that vehicles drive in on. That is really easy to do but I imagine the BLM has to have an opinion on that...or maybe someone can just get out there on an e-bike and burn in the lines so that they become "existing".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mennylove View Post
    We plan on building trails within out property and also looking to clean up and mark some of the existing lines that get ridden but aren't marked...old ranch roads that run throughout the mesa. Many of them tie into Gander and can be used to make some fun loops that have some beginner level and some intermediate level trails.

We are on the east edge of the Mesa right where the rough section of the road is about a mile before the Y where the original bathroom is. We think the Mesa needs a bunch of more beginner to intermediate level trails that that we should work to get bikes off of the dirt road that vehicles drive in on. That is really easy to do but I imagine the BLM has to have an opinion on that...or maybe someone can just get out there on an e-bike and burn in the lines so that they become "existing".
    I really like what you have outlined here. Don't know what to tell you about BLM other than from past history on Gooseberry, I hear it is easier to build first and ask forgiveness later. I would hate to see new trails on private land built for Ecolodge customers only, but like most private ventures, paying for access to amenities is often needed to offset maintenance cost and cover insurance. Quality trail signage and maps at trail intersections will enhance the "beginners" positive experience.

I enjoy riding Gander but it is more than my wife can handle. We have hiked it multiple times. The views are amazing and the experience level from hiking to biking are very different. Took some Canadian friends out there recently and they said it was one of the best experiences they have ever had on a bike.

As a retired architect and outdoor enthusiast I am very interested in new housing and development options that address recreation opportunities.

Your Best Friend
    Hi there! Glad you found this forum. As a resident of Apple Valley and your future neighbor, I'm very interested in what you are proposing. I've been hearing rumors of your development and I've also heard of some of the hoops the city is making you jump through. Good luck with all of that.

I'm on the cities recreational planning committee. I'm also the trail maintenance coordinator for the DMBTA and a local mtb guide. I'm sure you know the area pretty well but if you'd ever like to have lunch and discuss some of the things we are planning for the area, I'd love to have your input. It'd be nice to have another player in the trails game.

I'll be way for awhile but I will still check in here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah