Gooseberry Conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Gooseberry Conditions

We are planning to ride Gooseberry on Thursday December 10th. Not sure what to expect considering the storm that just moved through. Does anyone have any insight? I expect the road will be the determining factor - we'll have a subaru. Thanks in advance.

I'd rather be biking...
    It's above the snow level that Snowed monday night. I expect the road to be iffy and snow/mud in shady sections of trail. Let us know though

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As of right now unless it thaws today i don't think you stand a chance even getting there tomorrow. You could maybe get there in the morning before it thawed and have a sublime goose snow ride but you would be stuck there till after dark when it froze enough to get out. I'm in Rockville and the ground is still snow covered and the Apple Valley side is higher elev. than here so bound to be covered even more. I might go try the Rockville bench trail later this afternoon. If I do I will let you know.

360 Video Developer
    Hey furry - how much of the Rockville Bench trail is still intact? When we blazed in the early 90's none of the houses were on the ridge. When I left Springdale, the development was just being subdivided and it was clear that some of the trail was going to be lost. We also had a lot of BLM opposition in those days too. I'm wondering what's left?

Back in the day, summer night rides with lights on the bench were sick. Day time rides were on par with the best rides I've ever done. As well, 'berry was just getting explored and laid out, never liked it as much as the bench.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sorry to hi-jack the thread but what about the hurricane rim and jem trails? I have to come down this weekend and need some riding for 3 days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Luckyride - the weekend has more weather in-store for the area. I'm expecting trails to be inshape - getting to them might be the problem.

Anymore info on the Rockville Bench? I'm not familiar with it.

I'd rather be biking...
    I can't Imagine Goose/Little creek being ride-able for the next week...Well at least enjoyable. Slickrock and ice is not very fun especially when sections are technical as it is, throwing in a 15 foot section of ice on a descent on slickrock is awfully painful especially if it's the only place to get off the rock(A few on South rim come to mind). I've rode goose a few times after snowfall and although you can drive in while it's frozen. The trail is like a skating ring and then your stuck there due to the thawing road like Furrykid said.

The air temp is pretty dang cold for St. George and there is still snow at 3400 ft (Goose, Jem still have snow on em) Jem was in need for some moisture since the frog hollow race left a plume of silt behind which means it wont be hard packed mud that's ride able but soft loose mud. By the time stuff starts to dry for this weekend it's just going to rain again by saturday. I frown at bike tire ruts left in the mud from months ago...

Worst case just going to the trailhead is going to give you the scoop on the trail. So you'd might want to swing by the top of jem and have a look. I'd imagine the canal trail soil drying out first. I did notice that the Jem switch back got widened.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm with Shelbster, can't see the jem or hurricane rim being anything but mud this weekend. Hopefully, this winter won't see the repeat of last when peeps felt the need to go trash the clay based trails just because they drove to so. utah to ride..... thinkcooper, the bench is still there. The coral to the drainage part is basically off limits and picks though some houses but the meat of it is still there. B.L.M. recently changed the access point. The politics are still a problem. It is not as much a battle as it was when you were here but still isn't sanctioned by the b.l.m. The beta is out there for it and most of the pedal heads in both springdale and rockville ride it regularly. The only time i have heard of anyone being harassed is when they park up in the development instead of the lot by the road. As of right now my advice to anyone coming this way this weekend to ride...... go hike in the national park! The bike trails can't take the abuse!

NOT Team Sanchez
    Time for my yearly wet trail damage rant.

Like furrykid said, don't trash the trails, and driving a few hours is no excuse..........if you must ride go and hit Paradise Rim here in St.George, it's sand based and can be ridden when semi wet (Churckrocks up until within a mile of the slickrock sections is a clay base and not rideable when wet).....anything else and you'll have a miserable time bogging through slick and sticky clay not to mention you'll be hunted down and eaten by the locals.

Every winter it's the same old problem, people can't help themselves and ride in bad trail conditions, the ruts that inconsiderate people left on our trails from last winter are still freakin' there, the GV loop will never be the same
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the info, i was really hoping to get some serious mud bogging in but i will have to go elsewhere. (j/K.) Dipsh$ts that ride in the mud should be punished. Fortunately I am not going to have to come down and can just ride at home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm in St George. Gooseberry, Little Creek, Rockville Bench, Jem / Hurricane are all out. Snow covered.

Trails in town are iffy at best. They are wet right now and more weather is expected for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    We decided to stay and ride around Las Vegas. Did 14+ miles at Cottonwood (Red Rocks) including 3 miles in 5 inches of snow. We will definitely be heading back to the Goose sometime in the next couple of months.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Time for my yearly wet trail damage rant.

(Churckrocks up until within a mile of the slickrock sections is a clay base and not rideable when wet).....anything else and you'll have a miserable time bogging through slick and sticky clay not to mention you'll be hunted down and eaten by the locals.
    (
    Church Rocks (Prospector) is almost always good to ride when wet if you start at the Cottonwood Trail Head (behind Winkle Dist. under the freeway). If the trail is wet you will hit mud if you try to go north to Red Cliffs. Go south and the trail is great when wet.

Bikes are good

St. George March 5-12

Looking at a trip to this area for Spring break out of AK. Are all the trails rideable at this time? We have a week, and want to hit all the St. George epics, (shouldn't miss trails) and a few in Las Vegas area if it's worth it. Enjoy technical, climbing, downhill, drops, jumps, x-country. About in that order. Ride Turner Spots, and coming down from AK. Thanks for any input, or advice. If you are ever heading to AK, we'll hook you up.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thunder mountain & the trails in brian head will be snowed in, but everything else around st george should be in perfect condition. Depending on how many hours/days you plan on riding, you should be able to hit up all the good stuff in both st george & vegas.

Definitely hit up gooseberry, little creek, hurricane rim loop, grafton, barrel ride & zen, & guacamole in st george, & bootleg, cowboy trails, & deadhorse loop in vegas.

If you have time, I'd also try to squeeze in paradise canyon, church rocks, rockville bench, broken mesa, & bearclaw/stucki springs. I'm sure you'll get alot of other recommendations. Have a fun trip.

Bikes are good

Thanks

We fly into Vegas, and will ride that area for a few days and then head to St. George. During a CO trip last spring, we spent (some days) 8 or so hours riding to hit all of the trails in an area. That was in June, after we could ride in AK for a bit. We'll be out of shape for this trip. Any good places to rent a Eurovan, or similar?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    There's also an XC race in St. George on March 6. If you're into that sort of thing (admittedly, I am)

http://www.intermountaincup.com/2010...pageText10.pdf

Members who have read this thread: 0