Gooseberry bound, some questions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    134

    Gooseberry bound, some questions

    Hey everyone,

    Planning a trip to Goosebury Mesa. Just started riding again this year and have never been there before. I live in St. George so I keep getting *****ed out by all my SLC friends for not checking it out. I'd say I'm an intermediate rider both technically and aerobic.

    Question is what kind of bikes is everyone riding there?? I've got a Giant Trance X2 which is like a 4.5" travel bike It has served me well on all the trails around St. George but I don't think it's up for big drops/jumps. What is the terrain really like at Goosebury?

    Also we were planning on just going for the day, maybe get up there around 8 and ride till 4 or 5. Is that enough time to cover most of the trails? If not, which trail sections should we hit?

    Thanks
    Zach

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ErrantGorgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    445
    Wow, 8 or 9 hours? you will have enough time to ride all the trails and take pictures every 12 feet.

    I rode the goose on Wednesday morning. Gooseberry is a special kind of ride. There are no sustained climbs or descents. Its a series of technical obstacles. As long as you are capable of handeling the sudden drops and quick climbs and negotiating slick rock conditions then you will be fine. When I say drops I don't mean airborn drops. If you want, one can keep both wheels on the ground the entire time, but why would you want to do that? A quick look at any gooseberry map will tell you how much terrain you can cover. I do a 20 mile loop and it only takes a couple hours.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    134
    Wow, 8 or 9 hours? you will have enough time to ride all the trails and take pictures every 12 feet.
    Like I said I just started riding again this year so it's been more like pick my bike up and stop the bleeding every 12' on some trails! I've looked at the map and there seems to be quite a few trails and off shoots so I kind of figured we'd be doing some exploring. I guess we could ride the goose in the morning then hit one of the hurricane trails on the way back in.

  4. #4
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    You live in St. George and you are *planning* a trip to Gooseberry?!

    Go put air in your tires, drive up to the mesa now and ride for a while. Repeat tomorrow, but change the things you don't like or take a different bike.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  5. #5
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: NAKED1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    204
    There will be many people out there to ride this Sat. in for the Marathon or Red Bull.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ErrantGorgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKED1
    There will be many people out there to ride this Sat. in for the Marathon or Red Bull.

    Good point, I would head out on the south rim trail of gooseberry, see how you feel, and ask others on the trail for help or advise if you need it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Playdeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    652
    The goose is a great ride with many riding configurations. Most of the guys I have done it with do the south rim first clockwise. We usually go out to the point and then hit north rim if we are feeling up to it. You can add the hidden canyon to the end of the south rim instead if you wanting to try something new.

    Question for those who have ridden Goose later in the year...at what point does it start getting muddy? I am curious because I want to get as much riding in this year as I can but I know Beaclaw and others can get damaged if ridden when wet.

  8. #8
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,868
    Quote Originally Posted by helibird
    Hey everyone,

    Planning a trip to Goosebury Mesa. Just started riding again this year and have never been there before. I live in St. George so I keep getting *****ed out by all my SLC friends for not checking it out. I'd say I'm an intermediate rider both technically and aerobic.

    Question is what kind of bikes is everyone riding there?? I've got a Giant Trance X2 which is like a 4.5" travel bike It has served me well on all the trails around St. George but I don't think it's up for big drops/jumps. What is the terrain really like at Goosebury?

    Also we were planning on just going for the day, maybe get up there around 8 and ride till 4 or 5. Is that enough time to cover most of the trails? If not, which trail sections should we hit?

    Thanks
    Zach
    My trance handle gooseberry fine it would fun on anything from fully rigid to 6 inch travel IMO. any bigger and you couldnt pedal as fast.

  9. #9
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    Question for those who have ridden Goose later in the year...at what point does it start getting muddy? I am curious because I want to get as much riding in this year as I can but I know Beaclaw and others can get damaged if ridden when wet.
    The trail can handle lots of moisture before it gets very muddy (lots of silica in the dirt). The road is usually the weak link, it can be a real mud hole with enough moisture.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.