Gooseberry area - early Feb?- Mtbr.com
    Loser

Gooseberry area - early Feb?

I have a work conference in Las Vegas at the end of January. I would like to have my wife fly out and head up to the Gooseberry Mesa area for a little biking action. We tried to do this a few years ago and didn't get to ride at all due to the access road to the Mesa being a muddy mess (and Zion Bicycles closing because of this). We did ride in Vegas one morning, but it was freezing and rainy - not good.

Curious if this is a common occurence or was I just unlucky? I know it will be cold, but we're from CT, so we know and ride in cold regularly. I think we're going to rent an RV in LV and head up. Which brings up another question - is the access road "rough"? Just for comparison, we did this last spring in Fruita and made it out to the bookcliffs area in the RV, no problem.

Any help appreciated. And I know we could just ride close to LV, that's still an option, but I'd rather get "out there" a bit. After being in Vegas for the conference for a week I'm just about done... Any other areas I should be looking at instead of Gooseberry. It will be a relatively short trip, so not looking for any epic driving.

Thanks for any information,
    John

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would think early feb for gooseberry is probably going to be pretty chilly as the mesa must be about 5500-6000'

Also the access road is rough and could be ugly wet, but it's driveable. I stopped out there this summer on a day where it was too rainy to hike the narrows in zion and it's only about 8-10 miles off the road but it took me almost 1.5 hours to get up there with a 4x4, not that I was in any hurry, but it was a bumpy rutted road. It was rough enough that a couple from denver that came up after me had to borrow my tools because their hitch rack and come unbolted on the way up.

Great riding though, definitely worth the trip if you can get up there in feb.

Members who have read this thread: 0