Gooseberry 8/10/07-8/13/07- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Gooseberry 8/10/07-8/13/07

Hey all. So I plan on going out this later this week to sample some of these great riding I hear so much about in Gooseberry. I will be driving from San Diego Thurs night and leaving Sunday or Monday. This is my first time in this area, and will be driving out solo. My objectives are:

1) Ride! Looking for some 3hr rides in the morning over the course of the 3 days. Hopefully the weather wont be to too cookin'! Also I will be bringing my rigid 29er, so some nice singletrack would be nice...not much hucking though!

2) Fly fishing and some hiking in the later afternoon. I read the fishing is descent on Virgin River in, or near Zion...im not sure what its like this time of the year. If the fishing is a bust, than hike and explore around Zion.

Any sugestions or tips on doing longer mtn rides, with lower potential for getting lost? I will have maps, but no GPS. Any thoughts of fishing locations (lakes/rivers) in the Zion area?? I'll continue to search this board, as well as other sites this week, but would love to get some feedback!! Anyways, this little mini trip should give me the break from racing, my job, and a change of scenery from the Socal trails that I need.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    You won't need anything more than a trailmap for Gooseberry. The trails are well-marked and constrained by the size/shape of the mesa. The same goes for Hurricane Rim/Goulds/JEM (well marked) if you decide to do that ride. Both GM and the big Hurricane Loop would be nice long rides.

Hopefully someone with more St. George-area experience will post to give you a good idea of a third ride. I have been to the Virgin area several times, but have never managed to make it West of Hurricane since there is so much to do.

The road up to Kolob Reservoir is a fantastic drive, but I am unsure of the fishing up there. Would be worth driving up regardless, there are some great hiking trails.

JMH

I railed it like Kong
    Another good ride would be either Little Creek (you will need a guide) or Church Rocks is fun and close by. Church Rocks is shorter (2 hours) so if you need a rest day but still want a ride than this is a great one for that.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I will be up in Kolob above Virgin doing some flyfishing and riding, its only 1/2 hour from virgin and the weather will be much cooler in the day. We caught some nice cutthrout and rainbow on egg patterns and woolybuggers the other night about 7 ish. I'm not sure about the trails yet but I know alot of people ride quads up there so I'm bound to find something after the fish stop biting. Let me know if your interested, we will be up there Friday to Sunday.

mtbr member
    Ah... mtn. biking and fly fishing. A man of my own heart.

If I had three days in So. Utah I'd ride Gooseberry, Little Creek, and Hurricane/Goulds/JEM Loop, which IMO is the perfect 29'er trail. They're all fairly central to Zion NP. Gooseberry is pretty straight forward and a map will suffice. Little Creek demands either a local rider or a GPS. Hurricane/Goulds/Jem is also pretty straight forward. UtahMountainBiking.com is a great resource for maps and GPS coordinates. Also check out Rockville Bench it's a shorter more mellow Gooseberry with easy directions. Maybe replace Little Creek with Rockville Bench. A word of warning. Just the thought of riding fully rigid on most any of the So. Utah trails hurts. If you are intent on riding fully rigid I'd definitely add Bear Claw Poppy linked up with Stucki Springs to the list.

As far as fly fishing, catching a trout in the Virgin River "in or near Zion" is one step away from an urban legend. I'm not saying it's never been done, but I've looked long and hard and have yet to spot one. Definitely head up to Kolob, which is an incredibly scenic 30 minute drive from the park entrance. It has turned into a blue ribbon fishery since the state started enforcing the new regs. I prefer rivers, but they are few and far between in So. Utah and most of the descent ones are on private land. Small mouth bass on the fly is also a riot on either Quail Creek or Sand Hollow.

If you can afford the higher hotel rates I'd recommend staying in Springdale. Great restaurants and it has a nice vib. If not, rates in Hurricane are much cheaper, and it's only a 30-40 minute drive from Springdale. If you're interested in riding with a local PM me a week or so before you come. Who knows I may break out the cane and throw a fly or two with you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys for the input! Im so pumped about going up! I spent a good part of my work day surfing mountainbikingutah, and other sites. I will have to the try the rides you recommended. Another riding destination that caught my attention is Thunder Mountain near Bryce. The scenery from the pics looks awesome! As far as hotel accommodations, im not quite sure as of yet. I will likely be camping most nights. I will have have to catch up with you guys thats nterested in a little riding / fishing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You need to hit Little Creek on one of the days. It has to be one of my all time favorite rides. Here is a link to a guide from Utah Mountain Biking - Little Creek

I would say that having a GPS would be nice, but if you have a good sense of direction you may be ok. I have had a Garmin Edge with me every time I've gone (riding solo) and the first time I was happy that I had it, as the trail is not very well marked. I have only seen one other person on the trail the 6 or 7 times I have been there.

Good luck and enjoy some of the greatest riding any where!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdickinson
    Another riding destination that caught my attention is Thunder Mountain near Bryce.
    An excellent ride! Particularly for a rigid 29'er.

Wood chips are stupid

Temps

What are the temps throughout the day there this time of the year? Thanks.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Thunder Mtn would be a great day trip. Probably about 60 to 90 minutes from Springdale depending on how slowly you drive (it's VERY scenic) and the TM loop from the lower parking lot in Red Canyon takes most riders between 2 and 3 hours. It's an easy and highly enjoyable ride. Swing by Bryce Canyon NP to stare into the pit, maybe grab a mediocre lunch in the lodge and drive back to Zion in the mid-afternoon.

Stellar.

JMH

Thanks guys for the input! Im so pumped about going up! I spent a good part of my work day surfing mountainbikingutah, and other sites. I will have to the try the rides you recommended. Another riding destination that caught my attention is Thunder Mountain near Bryce. The scenery from the pics looks awesome! As far as hotel accommodations, im not quite sure as of yet. I will likely be camping most nights. I will have have to catch up with you guys thats nterested in a little riding / fishing.

mtbr member
    Triple digit temps are typical in August.

mtbr member

That sounds like fun! But, Add this.

People have suggested some great rides, I would deffently throw in the three (+/-)hour epic Hurrican Rim/ J.E.M./ Goulds. A bit smother for the 2nd day. Start this ride early in the morning for two reasons. 1. it will get hot! 2. Fishing.
    Eat lunch and pack some goodies and a small dinner or somthing light and portable. Drive from the trailhead towards Zion. In the town of Virgin you will find the Road to Kolob, some of it is part of Zions Nat'l park. (Note Kolob res. which some have mentioned is up this road about 10 miles or so, great fishing for a lake and cool temps.) Find the Right fork Trail head. Grab your pole, goddies, flys, etc. and hike to the bottom. Should take you about 45 minutes. The hike out sucks but not if you are in shape and not in a hurry. At the bottom you will be standing in a small creek called the North Creek. It is full of small Browns and a few Rainbows. These are small fish maybe the largest being 12 inches or so, but a lot of fun. We usually fish this river during the colder months, but I know a few people who have fished it in the summer.
    Be sure to expect people if you hike very far up the creek. (1 mile or so) It is the exit for the famous hike "Subway" Although it exit's at a diffrent trail head called Grapevine. You may not make it that far, if the fishing is good.
    P.S. Not many people know about this spot, but we got the info from a ranger. So if you need to ask, ask a ranger.
    Good luck, let me know how it works out.

land magnate
    Jem is a roller coaster ride, on gooseberry do south rim to the point back to north rim and back through the practice loop to the south rim but do these early as the heat is in the 100 plus zone this time of year thunder mt is a good call as with navajo lake loop up to the Virgin river Rim trail to Te'Ah and the fishing at navajo or mammoth creek for fly would also be a good call. And the lifts will be running at Brian Head all weekend for some great dh trails and shuttle runs. But an all mountain bike would be recommended for most of these, depending on your skill level as we have been riding all of these trails since the front only suspension days! Most of all have fun.
    mahalo
    live, love, learn, & balance gravitational alteration along the excursion!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys again for the advise!. I arrived here in St George a couple of hours ago, this Thu evening at 6:30pm. I stopped by two bike shops both of which were closed. Bummer. I was hoping to pick up a small trail map of the gould /hurrincane/gooseberry loop, and head out to the trailhead tonight, so I can ride ride first thing in the morning. I guess i'll stay here in St George tonight, and head over to Red Road Cyclery when they open at 9:00am, then go over to the trailhead thereafter. I'll start the ride a little late, and it will be warm. I'll have enough fluids with me for sure!!

Fishing later for sure at Kolob and/or North Creek! I'll have to explore around for sure. I have my float tube as well, so I have some options.

Luckily I have my laptop (wireless) so I can pull out if I get in a bind, I'll check back soon!

land magnate
    Thanks guys again for the advise!. I arrived here in St George a couple of hours ago, this Thu evening at 6:30pm. I stopped by two bike shops both of which were closed. Bummer. I was hoping to pick up a small trail map of the gould /hurrincane/gooseberry loop, and head out to the trailhead tonight, so I can ride ride first thing in the morning. I guess i'll stay here in St George tonight, and head over to Red Road Cyclery when they open at 9:00am, then go over to the trailhead thereafter. I'll start the ride a little late, and it will be warm. I'll have enough fluids with me for sure!!

Fishing later for sure at Kolob and/or North Creek! I'll have to explore around for sure. I have my float tube as well, so I have some options.

Luckily I have my laptop (wireless) so I can pull out if I get in a bind, I'll check back soon!

jem
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4583crx.aspx

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/jem.htm

gooseberry

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...7_4583crx.aspx

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/goose.htm

goulds rim connected to jem

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/gould.htm

have fun drink lots of water!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks vandizzy. I wish I would of printed these maps / directions before driving up.

land magnate

Wink :thumbsup:

Thanks vandizzy. I wish I would of printed these maps / directions before driving up.
    your welcome have fun
    mahalo

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Hidden Canyon is one of the best trails on the mesa, don't miss it. In fact, ride it once each direction! So nice.

JMH

mtbr member

Mammoth

There are some big browns in mammoth! I've had good luck with hoppers. That would be a great choice if you make it up to the Brian Head area. Mammoth creek is about 30 to 40 mins from BH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bn_acyclist
    There are some big browns in mammoth! I've had good luck with hoppers. That would be a great choice if you make it up to the Brian Head area. Mammoth creek is about 30 to 40 mins from BH.
    What sections of the Mammoth are you fishing? The only productive section of the Mammoth I've fished is on private property. I about had a heart attack when I saw size 10 brown drakes breaking the surface. One of the best evenings of fishing I've ever had.

mtbr member

Hwy 89

Where the Mammoth go's under highway 89. Park and hike up/in the viaduct. That whole lower section. When I say big I mean in the 21 to 18 inch size. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0