The Goose in August, bad idea?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The Goose in August, bad idea?

I'm planing a trip first week of August and debating to include one day near Hurracane rides or skip it and go straight to Brian Head area?
    We had done the Goose before in the Spring but never in the middle of Summer and I worry about ridin slick rock at 100+ temps, does it get that bad?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes it gets bad but it's very doable you just need to plan to be out at first light and off by 10-11. It still will be in the 90's by the time you finish. It's higher then st george so it stays a little cooler. My friend that rides there all the time usually goes out the night before and camps out so he can be on the trail early.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes it gets bad.

I think you will have more fun riding at Bhead that time of year. Goose as the last poster mentioned is completly rideable, and even comfortable early in the AM, but Bhead is perfect that time of year.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replies guys, so now I have to plan 5 days of xc rides near Brian Head, I have Thounder Mtn, Virgin Rim Trail and Bunker Creek, can you guys suggest any othe must do?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i live in Virgin a rode Goose 20 times las July/August. Just be on trail at 6:30 and off by 10:30 or so.. that's four hours of great riding and you'll have the place to yourself except for me and maybe Morgan.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bajamtnbkr
    Thanks for your replies guys, so now I have to plan 5 days of xc rides near Brian Head, I have Thounder Mtn, Virgin Rim Trail and Bunker Creek, can you guys suggest any othe must do?
    Other classics: Dark Hollow, Blowhard, and Cassidy/Casto/Losee

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by bajamtnbkr

Gooseberry is not THAT far from Brian Head, you could do a Gooseberry morning ride and roll up to BH in the afternoon.

Do a Thunder Mtn/Casto/Cassidy loop and ride the VRRT for your two BIG days and throw in two shorter days with shuttles on Bunker Creek, Dark Hollow, Blowhard or other Brian Head trails.

Just a reminder, Red Canyon is also a bit of a drive from BH so plan accordingly and have fun!

JMH

Vermonter to the Core
    STT GUY, are you going to be out there tomorrow in the AM? (Sunday)
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No, we are back in Ohio right now. Mother-in-law's 80th birthday party and some business stuff to attend to. BUT... we rode in New Mexico and Alabama on the way out and did Alum Creek every day this week except today... went for a road ride today on a 40+ mile rails-to-trails path. They have a couple of really nice ones around here. Not MTB but hey, it's two wheels.

This weekend I get to do my "real job"... ride a ZX6-R on the race track for two days
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Vermonter to the Core
    I spent the morning out on the Goose last Sunday.. all I have to say is AWSOME!!! it was creeping up to 95-98 on when I was finishing up but the temp was perfect, riding was epic and the views were awsome!!!
    JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Gooseberry is not THAT far from Brian Head, you could do a Gooseberry morning ride and roll up to BH in the afternoon.

Do a Thunder Mtn/Casto/Cassidy loop and ride the VRRT for your two BIG days and throw in two shorter days with shuttles on Bunker Creek, Dark Hollow, Blowhard or other Brian Head trails.

Just a reminder, Red Canyon is also a bit of a drive from BH so plan accordingly and have fun!

JMH

are there any shuttle company/companies available for shuttling the above trails mentioned? Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0