Good Idea to take Wife (beginner) to Moab?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good Idea to take Wife (beginner) to Moab?

Help!!!!

I was reading through a post Trailburner posted regarding Moab. https://forums.mtbr.com/riding-passion/my-trip-moab-tons-pics-293189.html Fantastic pictures! My wife was actually looking over my shoulder when she show the picture below and said I'm not doing that. I am really concerned now becaue we are trying to plan a trip to Moab and I am not sure if Moab is good idea for her.

Here is my question to everyone who's been to Moab and ridden different trails there:

My wife and I want to go back to Moab in the spring, but she isn't as skilled of a moutain bikers as me. She actually had enough of Slickrock after the practice loop this last July. From the looks of your pictures I am concerned I'll be leaving her in the hotel room most of the week and maybe this should be a boys trip only or she needs to quit being "I am afraid to do that" as this riding isn't for the timid. I am just concerned it will be too difficult and many of the other trails will be just as difficult as Slickrock. I, on the other hand, didn't take have any problems riding it and was looking for more aggressive lines once I got used to it. I road the practice loop twice, main loop once, and part of the main loop again and finsihed @ 103 degrees.

I just don't know if there is any trails in Moab easy enough for her. Would other trails be easier and something she'd enjoy? Is the picture above just one little section of the Porcupinne Rim or indicative of most of it? Should I just make it a boys trip or bring the wife?.

PS: Her cardio isn't the limiting factor as she rode Cat 4 womens two years ago before she broke her arm moutain biking at 2mph summer 2006.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i'm not an expert on moab by any means but gemini bridges is a great beginer ride without the exposure of porcupine. i'm sure there are others as well. read some of the trail descriptions on www.utahmountainbiking.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Search

If you scroll down, you'll see a thread from about a month ago with the title "Best Family Rides In Moab". Lots of discussion there.

The bottom line is that you could probably spend a week riding trails easy enough for her, but would you be OK with that?

The consensus is that Klondike Bluffs, Gemini Bridges, The Bar-M loop, Hurrah Pass, most of the Behind the Rocks area, Monitor and Merrimac, Poison Spider out and back are all doable by a roadie.

I wouldn't take a newbie on Porcupine, Bartlett, Amasa Back, Sovereign, Baby Steps, Hazard, Gold Bar/Portal, or the main part of Slickrock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I appreciate your feedback on which trails to do and not to do. I am hoping we can improve her skills before then. I told her that I really questioned her abilities last night and told her what I thought she needed to do to improve. She is going to read Ned Overand's Mountain Bike Like a Champion book. I think if I can get her comfortable with track stands and unweighting then she would feel comfortable. I also found UtahMountainBiking.com and they have some great step by step tutorials. Maybe now she'll have a goal to shoot for since we had that discussion.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I took my wife to moab a couple years ago when she had only ridden a mountain bike about 2 times. She was fit enough but didnt have the technical skills. I took her on slickrock and she wasnt real happy about that. That being said there are plenty of trails she probably would like and won't be boring for you.

Trails my wife would probably suggest.

Amasa back - Pretty tough trail but you can walk most of the tougher obstacles but there is still plenty of just riding and you will have fun.

Klondike Bluffs - Easy enough for most beginner mountain bikers who are fit but still pretty fun.

Gemini Bridges - Pretty easy, not as technical as the other two.

There is a book you can get in any moab bike shop that is by a guy named Rider Mel. Best book I have seen describing moab trails. Pick it up when you are there and save yourself some time and headaches.

Trails my wife would probably suggest.

Amasa back - Pretty tough trail but you can walk most of the tougher obstacles but there is still plenty of just riding and you will have fun.
    Don't take a beginner on Amasa. I took a friend of mine and his GF on it once. She wasn't even a beginner, had a full summer of riding in Telluride beforehand. Many wrecks and dirty looks. Not cool.
    "The Ice Age is comin', the Sun's zoomin' in..."

-The Clash

Bored Carp
    The advice here is pretty good, but I would add one thing - only you know how your SO/kids/wife/best bud will react to physical adversity. Some beginners do really well when confronted with things they can't ride, others take every challenge as an affront - as if you personally designed the trail to ruin their day.

I do think that it is a good idea for to bring shin/knee armor to Moab. If they fall trying something that they are uncomfortable with, the chances of a trip-ending shin egg are far less. Rockgardn makes some good stuff that I have pedaled 3+ hours in comfortably.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7602258258905/

Cheers,
    C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Chuky: I can definitely relate. Right before Thanksgiving I was riding in TN at night and didn't realize the leaves in one section of trail were actually about 6 inches deep. I ended up hitting a rock buried underneath. It was the first time I couldn't complete a ride. Tomorrow I start my 5th day of physical therapy and 5th day walking after being on crutches for 3 and a half weeks! I may invest in a pair of those shin/knee gaurds myself until my knee heals back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How about Barlett Wash?

Slickrock withpPlenty of easy rolling lines.

Bored Carp
    Ohh, that looks like a good one! Hope you heal quickly, ice lots!

Cheers,
    C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wellllll......

Quote Originally Posted by carbon
    How about Barlett Wash?

Slickrock withpPlenty of easy rolling lines.
    It's tough for us to know what a newbie will think when confronted with off-camber slickrock. We know our tires will stick, but try telling that to the rider I passed once at the very beginning of Bartlett. She just stood there petrified. I stopped and said don't worry your tires will stick (at least in that section). She was not convinced, even as I rode away. I looked to watch her tentative attempt and she'd already turned around and was headed back.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Tough to give good suggestions based on your post. If she had never been before, I would simply suggest a few of the easier rides that others posted. But you said yourself she has already been there and didn't particularly enjoy it (although you made the classic mistake of assuming Slickrock is a beginner-friendly trail). I doubt it would be any better the second time around when you want to step things up to more challenging terrain.

No amount of book reading and "deciding" to get over her fear is going to turn her into a Moab Slayer. It takes riding time (preferably in Moab) and she needs to work her way up from easy to challenging, probably by herself unless you want to ride lots of easy rides. And even then, it will be tough on her because she will know she's holding you back.

The mere fact that she is entertaining the idea of returning means that she is probably made of sterner stuff than you give her credit for, and you just need to work out a good system that allows her to learn while you have fun. If she goes (which I do highly encourage), you should arrange different rides for a few of the days. That way you can go kill yourself while she rides Klondike Bluffs without any pressure.

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    The mere fact that she is entertaining the idea of returning means that she is probably made of sterner stuff than you give her credit for, and you just need to work out a good system that allows her to learn while you have fun. If she goes (which I do highly encourage), you should arrange different rides for a few of the days. That way you can go kill yourself while she rides Klondike Bluffs without any pressure.

JMH
    I agree with JMH except don't send her off on a ride by herself.

I also recommend taking your wife if she's game and likes to ride. Just work out a system where you can ride together on some of the easier/novice-friendly rides like Klondike Bluffs and others folks have mentioned.Take your time. Ride her pace and enjoy her company. Then find a time, maybe early morning, when you can go off on your own (or hook up with some other riders... shuttles are a good way to do this) while she lounges, sleeps in, relaxes in the jacuzzi, reads a book by the pool, hits the gift shops/galleries, etc. Be back by noon or early afternoon at the latest then go do something with her.

If you do the first step.... she'll generally be more than happy to accept the other part of this suggestion. (Again, we don't know your wife so.... YMMV.)

Don't take her on Porcupine rim, Amasa Back, Portal, Bartlett Wash, etc., if her skills aren't up to it. She'll only be miserable and so will you.

Have fun.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    except don't send her off on a ride by herself.
    Yeah, I realized I didn't put that very well! Not a good idea to ride alone, but perhaps there is a friend that can come along that would enjoy doing beginner rides, or maybe it can be arranged with someone on the forums.

JMH

frejwilk

Day tours

Maybe your wife would consider guided day tours for a few days of your trip. They are available through almost every shop in Moab and a few specific outfitters. This might allow the two of you to experience some different trails and give her the chance to increase her confidence without dealing with the usual 'instruction from the other half'. I would further suggest her booking these trips herself.

I'm sure you're sensitive to your wife's concerns, but many times the 'beginner' half of a couple deals with the extra stress of trying to keep up with the more experienced partner. This can often cause as much trouble as the trail difficulty. As it seems you've already experienced, the Slickrock trail is a prime spot to see this play out in Moab.

This arrangement might give you the opportunity to enjoy some fun rides (maybe Sovereign, or maybe even Amasa Back!!) together later in the trip.

Good luck,

FW

Members who have read this thread: 0