Going to SW Utah for 4-5 days- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Going to SW Utah for 4-5 days

I am planning a roadtrip to SW Utah for 4-5 days in September, I have never been to the area and am going solo. I want to do some biking at Gooseberry and some hiking/photo taking the rest of the time in Zion and or Bryce.

Would you recommend camping in the "free" areas for someone who doesn't know the area at all, and just has a map? Or would I be better off/safer camping inside the parks (Zion etc etc) or whatever, and paying the $15-20 a night?

any advice would be appreciated, thanks

also, any guidebooks you would recommend?

mtbr member
    Utah is enormous place with extensive public land. so if you have ever enjoyed getting your car off the pavement and driving until it feels like you are "out of the way" for the night, you can do it there.

On a week-long trip I once took there with two sisters and a cousin, we found good camping almost every night. There was one night that the spot was a bit lacking, but not unsafe...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The 'free' camping up on gooseberry is great & easy to find/safe. So is camping at Zion. You can't go wrong either way.

If you rather save a few bucks or enjoy doing early/late rides right from camp, stay at gooseberry. If you plan on alot of hiking in the park or eating/drinking out, then the park is pretty convenient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the responses. From waht I sense, sounds like splitting up the camping areas makes the most sense

Members who have read this thread: 0