glenwild/flying dog Oct 19th- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

glenwild/flying dog Oct 19th

How's the drying out going up there? Basin rec shows some "tread lightly" some muddy and some closed. Anyone got a more personal update? (Walt?)

You know the place will be overrun with valley dwellers this weekend, best to get the word out now on conditions.

mtbr member
    The short loop in Bob's Basin - up Fink Again and down Crazy 8 - is good. Anything in the shade is likely too wet to ride. I'm checking out Coyote in Heber today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    The short loop in Bob's Basin - up Fink Again and down Crazy 8 - is good. Anything in the shade is likely too wet to ride. I'm checking out Coyote in Heber today.
    I guess front side might be ok, but if GW is wet, no way back of Coyote can be GTG. Curious to hear your report. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    I guess front side might be ok, but if GW is wet, no way back of Coyote can be GTG. Curious to hear your report. Thanks.
    I was too lazy to go to Coyote. I was going to do it as an up and back from UVU, staying on the sunny side.
    I live in Jeremy, so up from there to 24/7. At the Preserve Connector, you have to go to the right. The section past the beaver ponds would be too wet. At the intersection with Flying Dog, I went left, up to the bench and that was fine. I suspect that, had I gone right and down it would also have been fine. As long as you don't go down the backside of GW, I actually think you could do it as an out and back. I'm not sure what the trail is like from Bob's to GW, but Wednesday I was told not to bother....so I didn't.

mtbr member
    Update from my riding this weekend.

Saturday, did the glenwild loop (mostly) starting from the spring creek trailhead CCW.
    As expected, all was dry and even dusty out to the junction to Cobblestone/Flying dog. Talked to some joggers just coming down from cobblestone and they said there were some pockets of mud through the draw with the cottonwood trees, so we opted to head towards glenwild. There were several wet corners in the berms/switchbacks on the backside and one straight steep slope that were pretty soft still and we met up with the two joggers in this section and they said that was much worse than anything they had seen up higher on the cobblestone loop. Other riders were going both directions around us, so we chose to tread lightly along the edge of the trail.

Sunday headed for Coyote canyon. Started at the dirt pull-out trailhead near the houses rather than UVU to do the loop CCW.
    Couple very small slightly soft spots in shade, none of which were any issue at all. As expected the front side climb and switchbacks were all dry to the point of dusty. Was good right up and over the top. Even the wooded section off the back of the top was good, but the "straight-away" section that followed it was a bit soft and sloppy. There was snow to the inside of the trail so I rode on it instead of in the soft middle. There were also some soft corners on the way down towards the trailhead near the finger of Jordanelle and just a couple of soft spots on the beginning of the climb back up to the saddle. Surprised me at how long those spots are holding the moisture but they are pretty shady through the day.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    Fink Again/Bob's area and lower Glenwild were GTG today. I would guess anything higher is a sloppy mess, though - all the northfacing stuff was quite damp/almost sloppy, even down low. On the plus side, trails were nice and tacky from the rain.

I would imagine the west side of Flying Dog is done for the season unless it gets crazy warm for a while. There are a bunch of spots up there where the sun just won't get to this time of year.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Should be warm until about Tuesday, then will cool off, I guess. Once you get hard freezes overnight, it gets really hard to get the trails dried out. Good info, thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Should be warm until about Tuesday, then will cool off, I guess. Once you get hard freezes overnight, it gets really hard to get the trails dried out. Good info, thanks.
    Thanks for all the beta everyone.

Rained all night here in Jeremy. I was initially hopeful that weekend Flying Dog was a possibility, but I think there's zero chance of that now. Please don't come up here to ride, it's totally saturated.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Rained all night here in Jeremy. I was initially hopeful that weekend Flying Dog was a possibility, but I think there's zero chance of that now. Please don't come up here to ride, it's totally saturated.

-Walt
    Yes. Of course. Fortunately I got one ride on my new bike last night before the rain. Hopefully BSL will dry out quickly, and hopefully, with the warm up tomorrow by Saturday, the trails in the sun will be good to ride up here.

Yes. Of course. Fortunately I got one ride on my new bike last night before the rain. Hopefully BSL will dry out quickly, and hopefully, with the warm up tomorrow by Saturday, the trails in the sun will be good to ride up here.
    Yeah, I got out and did Preserve Connector and the east side FD switchbacks, plus some Glenwild/Stealth/Bob's yesterday and it was in great shape with just a few puddles. Bummer that we got that rain this morning, but I guess any moisture is a good thing this year.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Yeah, I got out and did Preserve Connector and the east side FD switchbacks, plus some Glenwild/Stealth/Bob's yesterday and it was in great shape with just a few puddles. Bummer that we got that rain this morning, but I guess any moisture is a good thing this year.

-Walt
    That's what I've been hitting. I was coming down around 6 PM yesterday on my new very green bike!
    Up Daybreaker from my house to 24/7 access, up Flying Dog till the backside where it gets muddy, turn around, back down to Preserve Connector up FD to the bench and back. It was good. Killed some PR's on my new bike (nothing like yours of course).....and I was dying to get out today, but no luck!

10/26 Friday, the Fink Again, Crazy 8's circuit is dry. I was told the front side over to Glenwilde is, too. Also, the aforementioned Flying Dog route is dry; in fact, that actually looked drier than it was prior to the rain event.

Sweeny's-John's is good, with one down tree.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-27-2018 at 08:07 PM.