German needs help- Mtbr.com

Feb 2007

German needs help

Hi, I'm from Munich,Germany and I am new to this forum.Biking over the Alps (called TransAlp or Alpencross) is very popular here. Most of them start north in Germany and finish south, in Italy. Now I have this crazy idea to do the same over the Rockies, starting in SLC and end in Denver. I looked in the internet, but could not find anything helpful. Can someone help me to get some information about trails, maps,etc. Has anyone done this already and can give me some tips? What would be the best time, and when are the high passes free of snow? I want avoid using paved roads as much as possible, lets say less then 50%. Are there guides who offer such trips. Many thanks to all of you. Franz

mmm bacon
    I know that I have heard of something like what you are talking about, but I can't remember it I think it went more north south not west to the east. Try posting in the utahmountainbiking.com forum or as cheesy as it sounds ask the folks over at REI on 3300 will probably know, specifically a guy named Dave he's a local biker who will be able to help, I worked with him and he's a wealth of info. Good luck
    JK

Feb 2007
    Hi JK, thanks for your response. Maybe I sound stupid, but whats REI on 3300 and who is Dave? I apologize if my English is not as professional but I do my best. How can I contact him?
    North/South? this seems to be a huge adventure, I will start with West/East first.
    I will try utahmountainbiking.com as well.Maybe I will find someone.

By the way. If somebody wants to do a Transalp. I am happy to help. It is really something you will never forget in your life (which is too short anyway) Thanks Franz

Bend, OR
    I think he meant the REI in Salt Lake City. Its address is 3300 South. Don't know how much that will really help you if you are in Germany right now.

The Great Divide Race goes north to south.

I'm sure you could do west to east if you wanted, although I think it would be quite different from a transalp. Haven't heard of many people doing this, but I'm sure its possible.

Feb 2007
    Thanks Ross, I will investigate, and hope the internet helps me. Maybe I find something helpful. I know the Rockies a bit, but only ba car. With bike is something different, bit I am sure it is a great experience.
    You are a Warren Miller fan? Every December there is a Warren Miller festival in Munich and I watched his movies for many years and I love him, although I admit I prefer the earlier ones. Snow is very bad this year in Europe, seems you got more luck.

mtbr member
    Franz-
    I think it is pretty cool what you are considering, but I really think that going north to south (or vice versa) in the rockies would be more of what you are looking for as far as dirt vs paved. If you are set on SLC to Denver though, I think you should look into following a route somewhat roughly along highway 40. You could probably piece it together by researching trails and dirt roads that parallel it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and feel free to PM me with specific suggestions.

Bend, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz W
    Thanks Ross, I will investigate, and hope the internet helps me. Maybe I find something helpful. I know the Rockies a bit, but only ba car. With bike is something different, bit I am sure it is a great experience.
    You are a Warren Miller fan? Every December there is a Warren Miller festival in Munich and I watched his movies for many years and I love him, although I admit I prefer the earlier ones. Snow is very bad this year in Europe, seems you got more luck.
    Yeah, he makes some great movies. I tele though, and he doesn't make any tele films. rats.

I agree with Jason that north to south is more what you're looking for, but you can certainly do SLC to Denver if you want.

Feb 2007
    Thanks for your help. Interesting to read nobody, or not many did this. While almost 50.000 bikers go over the Alps every year (I know the Alps are smaller....). Anyway, with your help I found some sources for maps. With them I can start to plan. If I figure out East/West is not worth it, than I can still change. Lets see. If I have more question, I know I can come back to you, which I appreciate a lot. Best time in the Alps is July till September. I suppose this is the same in the Rockies? Till than, good skiing

Bend, OR
    Yeah, July-August would be the most snow free. Watch out for thunderstorms though.

I'd also suggest posting this in the Passion or General Discussion forums, It'd get way more replies there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I know this post is pretty antique, but I'm from Denver and just did my first Transalp last summer. The thought of organizing something like this is pretty tempting. I put up a placeholder page at crossrockies.com and will start collecting information there. If anyone has any more suggestion, I'd love to hear them. Franz - did you ever do your trip?

Members who have read this thread: 0