Ga boy visiting Utah....needing suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ga boy visiting Utah....needing suggestions

Ok, so I have a work conference in Provo week of May 18-22 and have 22nd to the 24th on my own time to play. Never ridden any trails out west and wanted to hit the best trails that are open in May.

Obviously i would love to have option of renting a dual crown fork bike and shuttling. So, first thought was Park City, but talking to Jans the weather still kinda unpredictable and potential of still snow in higher elevation. no lifts running.

are the lower elevation trails worth staying in the area, or should I just jump in the car and drove to Moab and rent a bike there?

love riding scenic backcountry trails and not afraid of sketchy gnar. any advice, trail or shop rental recommendations is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Moab is only about four hours from Provo. Maybe less. If you've never been out here and can spend a couple of days there, you can't go wrong. It hasn't been a big snow year. Chances are good everything will be open in Park City except for small sections. You're not going to be needing that double crown fork bike, though, unless you hang out at The Canyons bike park and it may not be open.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Go to Moab if you've never been...its 3 hours from Provo, 2.5 if you drive fast.

IMO the lower Park City trails will keep you busy, but if have the option to go to Moab do that instead.

Chile Pepper and Poison Spider in Moab are the 2 best shops.
    They will be running shuttles up to Mag 7 and Porcupine Rim

If you do the Mag 7 trail be sure to finish on the Blue Dot and Portal trails, that should satisfy your craving for sketchy gnar. (shuttle logistics can be more of a challenge but totally worth it)

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Moab.
    Moab.
    Moab.

Warm up on the Moab Brand Trails just north of town. Something for everyone there and you'll get to ride all the Moab conditions in a few hours.

Next do Magnificent 7 with a shuttle or drive up there and just ride the top sections such as Bull Run and Getaway and take road or single track back to the trail head. If you have a lot of stamina and experience on big stuff then do the shuttle and include Blue Dot and Portal. For this trip it may not be the best option for you or the best use of your time.

Spend a little time on the Slick Rock Bike Trail, maybe only out and back a few miles in the evening. A lot of us, maybe most, don't ride it often but it is an adventure. 10.5 miles of really unusual riding, and exhausting.

Porky, the Porcupine Rim Trail, is an old and wonderful classic. By May you will actually shuttle higher up the Whole Enchilada trail system and Porky is the lower section.

After that drive back to SLC and wonder why you don't live in South Utah. You will never recover.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info.

any recommendations for decent cheap lodging?

mtbr member
    Looks like Moab will be busy that weekend, so lodging could be an issue. Lots of camping down there.
    Moab 2015 Calendar of Events - Get up-to-date Moab event information from the official tourism website for Moab, Utah.
    Another challenging ride for you would be Amasa to Rockstacker and Jackson. The rim should be open from Hazard down.
    It sounds like you might like the Flying Monkey trail near Virgin. You just have to find someone crazy enough to join you.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 04-09-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Flying Monkey :-) 5 1/2 hours from Moab. Bring a parachute. I don't have the courage to walk it. I was riding the St. George area of Utah last week. Great trails but not quite Moab. Except for the South Rim and Hidden Canyon Trails on Gooseberry Mesa. Those are world class.

Moab is very busy in April and May. That is the high time of the year before it gets damn hot out on the rocks. Cheap lodging is a challenge during the weekdays and on weekends finding any lodging or even primitive camping can be hard.

KOA and RV resorts such as Moab Valley and Canyonlands have cabins at around $65. Walk a short distance to showers and toilets. Our preference is Moab Valley RV Resort. I think Arch View has cabins also and is located by a lot of trails.

Green River is about a 35 minute drive away and motels are cheap and usually available any time. That may be your only choice.

Toward the end of May the weather starts heating up. While Georgians can handle heat and Moab has a more comfortable dry heat, there is no shade on the trails and much of the time you are riding on rock. You'll get baked from below. We ride at sunrise until about 11 then again in the evening. Use energy drinks or whatever along with plenty of water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Flying Monkey :-) 5 1/2 hours from Moab. Bring a parachute. I don't have the courage to walk it.
    Haha! You and me both.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Almost all the trails along the Wasatch are pretty tame. Corner Canyon Jacob's ladder is fun, but it's a pretty nasty climb up. The Quarry trail in Little Cottonwood gets chunky, but there are lots of hikers and traffic, best to do at night if you want to bomb it.

With the small amount of snow this year, I would bet the higher elevations would be pretty clear. Where ever you go, make sure your legs and lungs are ready. Coming from GA is going to be an adjustment. Riding at night or during the weekday reduces the traffic you will run into, especially on the lower trails.

St George is a little over 4 hours away, great trails and reasonable accommodations. Zen Trail, Gooseberry, all offer some great tech.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you are into big air at bike parks and the kind of person that doesn't mind hiking a bike to ride down and want to ride something you might only ever see in an extreme mtb movie, two hours from Provo and about five miles north of Green River is some riding you won't find anywhere else in the United States. It's not quite the same as Flying Monkey or King Kong and the Red Bull Rampage sites, but it's pretty intense and it's on the way to or from Moab. https://www.youtube.com/embed/xkuxobL42yo

If you have time after the conference, or before, the Flinstone Trail might be worth the thirty minute drive to the west as well as the bike park there in Eagle Mountain. Maple Hollow downhill trail near all the Corner Canyon stuff is an easy shuttle and Rush Flow is always a fun ride. The shuttle road up Squaw Peak might not be open until the 25th, but it might open earlier with the super dry winter we've had and right next to Provo, but in my opinion the trail needs to be reworked. The Trailside Bike Park in Park City is pretty fun. Bobsled in Salt Lake City is a blast and about 45 minutes from Provo. The I-Street bike park is supposed to be pretty cool, but I haven't ridden it. The Odgen Bike Park is about an hour and twenty minutes away and has some rather intense jumps.

I live in Provo, so if you need any help with anything, let me know. I am willing to lock your bike up at my house if you want to ship it instead of rent, but I won't assemble it for you. I don't need a crazy guy from Georgia killing me in my sleep over a dinged bike. Because it's the weekend, I might be able to go riding with you or find some guys who are riding. It's always a bit easier going with people who know the way.

EDIT: Embedded video didn't work.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde250 View Post
    St George is a little over 4 hours away, great trails and reasonable accommodations. Zen Trail, Gooseberry, all offer some great tech.
    Personally, I would hit St. George over Moab. But either are much more fun than the stuff in N. Utah.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Also consider whether you'd like to see Arches and Canyonlands or Zions National Park. You can't ride all the time.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Coldfriction;You can't ride all the time.[/QUOTE]
    Blasphemy.